IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Review of Aerotect rear reflector film

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-09, 11:16 PM
ilocke
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Review of Aerotect rear reflector film

I purchased the Aerotect rear bumper reflector film (they offer a light tint, dark tint, and "blackout", which is just black). After putting it on, I took it right back off. Simply put, the cut is not right. It doesn't fully cover the reflector. Length wise it's ok after a slight stretch, but the height is too short. I suppose if you had the reflector off the bumper, you might be able to stretch it to fit (although it might rip), but that kind of defeats the purpose, since people choose this method (Aerotect) as an alternative to spraying, since you have to take the bumper off to get to the reflector, from what I've read.

After trying this product, I would not recommend it to others. It looks horrible since you can see the outline of the red reflector. Perhaps if you're doing a light tint, it's not as easily noticed, but I tried the "blackout".

The product is $9.00 for the the 2 vinyl stickers and around another $9.00 for shipping. Considering these are small and light enough to send in an envelope for less than 50 cents, I'm not sure why it costs that much for shipping, but oh well. So, once you accept the fact that you're paying $18.00 for 2 little stickers, you expect that you're paying the premium for the precision cut. The product fails to deliver in that aspect.

I guess I will take off the rear bumper and do it right this time! I just wanted to share my experience in case anyone else considering purchasing sees this.

EDIT: All challenges with the product in this post have been resolved, thanks to Jason at Aerotect. See THIS POST for details.

Last edited by ilocke; 09-20-09 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-21-09, 11:24 PM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got the redouts from rvinyl, it fits just right
Old 07-22-09, 08:31 AM
ilocke
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by metalgear
i got the redouts from rvinyl, it fits just right
You're talking about the vinyls to cover the turn signal in the taillight though, right? I'm talking about the reflector on the rear bumper.
Old 07-22-09, 08:38 AM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for sharing. I was planning to blackout my reflectors also with Aerotech,,,guess I'll just wait.
Old 07-22-09, 11:09 AM
AeroTect
Former Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

ilocke, sorry to hear of the problem you had with our overlays. Sounds like something didn't cut right, and you certainly could have come to us with this problem. I know our thicker film has always fit right, but I would be happy to double check our pattern to see if it was somehow modified.

In fact, if anybody is in the area and wan't to come by for a set to test fit on, I'd be happy to do so, just PM,email, or call me first. Ilocke, I would be happy to send you a replacement once we worked out the bugs, do you still have the original set or did you throw them out?

As far as shipping goes, the rates you see online are pulled from our FedEx and UPS accounts. You would probably see no difference in shippping cost when ordering 100 of them vs ordering 1 of them. We have tried using an envelope with the post office in the past, but have found too many of our film products get damaged in the rollers at the post office. Also, looking at competitors products, prices start at over $30.00 by the time you include the squeegee and shipping is figured in. We've always tried being fair with our customers.

Please let me know if I can do anything for you. An e-mail works best. you can send one Here

Hope this helps,
Jason
(909) 596-0053

Last edited by AeroTect; 07-22-09 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-22-09, 12:52 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AeroTect
ilocke, sorry to hear of the problem you had with our overlays. Sounds like something didn't cut right, and you certainly could have come to us with this problem. I know our thicker film has always fit right, but I would be happy to double check our pattern to see if it was somehow modified.

In fact, if anybody is in the area and wan't to come by for a set to test fit on, I'd be happy to do so, just PM,email, or call me first. Ilocke, I would be happy to send you a replacement once we worked out the bugs, do you still have the original set or did you throw them out?

As far as shipping goes, the rates you see online are pulled from our FedEx and UPS accounts. You would probably see no difference in shippping cost when ordering 100 of them vs ordering 1 of them. We have tried using an envelope with the post office in the past, but have found too many of our film products get damaged in the rollers at the post office. Also, looking at competitors products, prices start at over $30.00 by the time you include the squeegee and shipping is figured in. We've always tried being fair with our customers.

Please let me know if I can do anything for you. An e-mail works best. you can send one Here

Hope this helps,
Jason
(909) 596-0053
Yes, I have the same problem with my Rear smoked bumper reflectors. They are too small and do not cover the entire area. I've had them on my car now, But have been meaning to take them off as well. Do you guy's plan on making this cutout any larger? And replacing the ones I bought already with good fitting ones? Please let me know, I can even take pictures for you.
Old 07-22-09, 12:59 PM
AeroTect
Former Sponsor

ExclusivIS, yes, I would love some pictures and will get working on the problem right away.

Could you please send some pics to my e-mail address

Also, please include your information and possibly order number/invoice number if you have it.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 07-22-09, 01:04 PM
ilocke
Lead Lap

Email sent.
Old 07-22-09, 01:09 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AeroTect
ExclusivIS, yes, I would love some pictures and will get working on the problem right away.

Could you please send some pics to my e-mail address

Also, please include your information and possibly order number/invoice number if you have it.

Thanks,
Jason
Sure no problem will do. I'll have pics for you later tonight Jason. Hey, where is Francisco? I usually talk all my problems out with him. Sure he'd like to know about this problem as well.
Old 07-22-09, 01:31 PM
AeroTect
Former Sponsor

He's right next to me. I have made him aware of the situation, and we are working on it.

Originally Posted by ExclusivIS
Sure no problem will do. I'll have pics for you later tonight Jason. Hey, where is Francisco? I usually talk all my problems out with him. Sure he'd like to know about this problem as well.
Old 07-22-09, 04:52 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep us updated if y'all don't mind, I was just about to purchase a set but will wait to see what happens and if the cutouts need to be modified.
Old 07-23-09, 09:39 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

I will be swinging by there soon to help you all out with these...

Old 07-23-09, 09:53 AM
ilocke
Lead Lap

Nice.
Old 07-23-09, 11:26 AM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I will be swinging by there soon to help you all out with these...

JZ, gotta luv him

Let us know what happens.
Old 07-23-09, 10:40 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Here it is:

Quick Reply: Review of Aerotect rear reflector film