IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Gt-R or Is-F?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-09, 09:12 PM
max90034
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zakizaki
99% of what the GT-R is has nothing to do with the 0-60 using LC. The Nurburgring time of 7:29 for instance, which has nothing to do with 0-60 and everything to do with performance and poise in extreme driving situations. It speaks of handling and at the limit braking, accelerating out of turns, running on smooth and rough roads, increasing and decreasing radius turns, all out acceleration and top speed. The 'Ring time is started with the car already going full speed and starts as the car whips past the timer going full out. When the car returns to the same point after compleating the lap, the timer is stopped. The mind boggling performance of the GT-R at the 'Ring and at various other tracks around the world has to be taken seriously. The accolades and Car of the Year awards from European and US car magazines has to be taken seriously.

IMHO, the viper and the Corvette are not even in the same league. These are crude and dull instruments compared to the razor sharp surgical tool that is the GT-R. The GT-R is heavier than these cars. So what, it handles better. It is better put together. It has great fit and finish and it is made with a passion and attention to detail that is amazing even for a Japanese car. To learn more about the legend and its history and making, I invite you to visit this site. I promise that your time will not be wasted and you will come away better informed and greatly respecting one of the greatest, if not the greatest, automobiles ever to come out of the land of the rising sun.

http://www.gtrnissan.com/index.html##

Well, 99% or not but 0-60 and 1/4 mile are very important numbers for any sport car. Posted numbers for GTR were amazing (0-60 at 3.2 sec!). In reality without using LC it's more like 4.0 (based on what I saw at GTR forums). This is still a very good time but it's more in line with IS-F/C63/M3 times than 911T/Z06/other exotics. Sure these are just some of the performance numbers and sure GTR does extremely well on track. Still, Nissan had some reasons to do this LC trick that I consider to be cheating. We also know that 0-60 or 0-100 are among very few performance numbers that could be executed outside track (even though we probably should not do this). So, many more drivers could feel themself comfortable launching from the red light next to GTR.

I have never considered buying GTR even though I could from the price point. It's just not my kind of car, however, I do respect its performance. So, I was very disappointed by Nissan when I learned about all these LC issues.

Last edited by max90034; 01-02-09 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-03-09, 02:12 AM
zakizaki
Driver School Candidate

http://www.zimbio.com/Nissan+Skyline...nal+Geographic

Enjoy the video
Old 01-03-09, 09:19 AM
kickhard
Pole Position

Again this is where 99% of people are mis-informed about the GTR and its LC. In no way is it cheating. The feature works and people use it without busting their trans. If I wanted to use it in my car I could right now. When the GTR first came out you had over zealous people showing off and using it before the car was broken in. But Nissan still should have covered these few cars just to stop the bad publicity. I would never use the LC before 1500 miles. I find it funny how people latch on to this 1 feature and blow it up to huge proportions. And again people are still getting very close or the same 0-60, 1/4 numbers without using the LC, it just took some time to figure out the best method to launch the car without using the LC
Old 01-03-09, 09:43 AM
foup
Driver

Originally Posted by kickhard
Yes of course the ISF is more comfortable. Its suspension is a bit softer but the GTR is comfortable also but it is of course more performance oriented. The seats in the GTR I think are better though. ISF is not as loud in the cabin either. The GTR can and has been a DD for alot of people so its reliability has been proven so far with some at 15000 miles already.

The GTR looks much better in person. Pics really dont do it justice.

I dont get your fast as it should thing. Name any cars that are faster than the GTR at its price point? Only 1 I can think of and its the ZO6. Name any cars that are faster than the GTR period? And you might be able to come up with 25 and most are exotics. The ZR1 is a beast also but to most is going to be seen as just another vette unless you are a car person. The ZO6 is probably the best bang right now and is a fine car

LOL a car as an investment? Maybe the ZR1 now only because its production is under threat(even the GTR is). A lot of performance cars are under the ax or have been axed(NSX, LFA). We might be going through another muscle car ression.
Thanks, I was not aware of the 2009 lap times (from Nordschleife_fastest_lap_times) when I posted my comments, I am still very puzzled how such a heavy car performs compared to cars that are lighter and have 100..200 more HP. If the classification is correct then, yes, there are not many cars faster.

As for the comfort, I am surprised that the GTR (in less sporty setting) is not as comfortable as the F since the GTR has an adjustable suspension.

As for the look, I have yet to see one in person and I will see if I can revise my opinion (which is that I still think Porsches look better). And I would never get a Viper, way too ugly for my european-like tastes.
Old 01-03-09, 09:59 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by zakizaki
Dear sir, with due respect, you are woefully misinformed about the GT-R. I would suggest that as a moderator with thousands of posts under your belt, you should research a car thoroughly before passing judgement on it. Better still you should drive it before calling it badass on paper alone.
Just b/c you use "with all due respect" doesn't mean you can just say what you will and no its not in the Geneva convention

I would suggest with your 29 posts you post like you have some sense towards moderators per the rules. Everyone in here likes the GT-R and respects it, do not expect everyone to fawn over it and want it ahead of its competition. There was nothing in lowbux post that deserved such a rude response. He is usually on the money.

This is not an official infraction but a warning to debate posts and not debate if someone is a moderator or not.

You assuming a moderator might know all about the GT-R is as ridiculous as me assuming you don't know about the GT-R (or don't have one) b/c you have 29 posts.

Last edited by LexFather; 01-03-09 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-03-09, 10:56 AM
kickhard
Pole Position

Everyone is puzzled about is performance for such a heavy car. My guess is the technology. It truely is amazing.

To be honest with you I really cant tell the difference between the suspension settings. The adjustability of the suspension doesnt have as much play inbetween the settings like you would think. Its comfortable but not anywhere near the lexus smooth ride

I agree with you about the looks of a porsche. I love em too

Originally Posted by foup
Thanks, I was not aware of the 2009 lap times (from Nordschleife_fastest_lap_times) when I posted my comments, I am still very puzzled how such a heavy car performs compared to cars that are lighter and have 100..200 more HP. If the classification is correct then, yes, there are not many cars faster.

As for the comfort, I am surprised that the GTR (in less sporty setting) is not as comfortable as the F since the GTR has an adjustable suspension.

As for the look, I have yet to see one in person and I will see if I can revise my opinion (which is that I still think Porsches look better). And I would never get a Viper, way too ugly for my european-like tastes.
Old 01-03-09, 12:43 PM
dana_daen
Driver

I went and say it today in the showroom, it's a large car. Looks very serious, wasn't able to sit in it...but it looks like it's a powerhouse. 3yr waiing list!!!
Old 01-03-09, 01:43 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dana_daen
I went and say it today in the showroom, it's a large car. Looks very serious, wasn't able to sit in it...but it looks like it's a powerhouse. 3yr waiing list!!!
If there is one in the showroom, then there is no 3 year waiting list...
Old 01-03-09, 02:13 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

i saw one sat in it the offered a drive but i just let him start it inside. sounds great brakes are huge nice but i wanted to tell my wife first plus need to figure out my company car thing first!
Old 01-03-09, 03:04 PM
AKoch
Lead Lap

That's the thing - there is a 2+ year waiting list. Or you are asked to pay 25k over MSRP by the scam at the dealership if you want it today.
Old 01-03-09, 03:19 PM
dana_daen
Driver

Originally Posted by timeToy
If there is one in the showroom, then there is no 3 year waiting list...
Oh yes there is, ask around, regardless the one in the showroom belongs to the owner and you can buy if you like (2000kms), but it will cost you an extra 30,000.00 on top of the regular price. But if I'm willing to wait the 3 years then I can put my money down and pay the regular hundred grand.
Old 01-03-09, 03:37 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Oh yes there is, ask around, regardless the one in the showroom belongs to the owner and you can buy if you like (2000kms), but it will cost you an extra 30,000.00 on top of the regular price. But if I'm willing to wait the 3 years then I can put my money down and pay the regular hundred grand.
There you go, the car is for sale with a huge markup... So the dealer told you you can wait 3 years or buy my car with a 30k markup... That is shady...
Do they guarantee the price if you order it ? My dealer will not even do that...
Old 01-03-09, 03:42 PM
B D HEMI
Rookie

Talking Gt-r

I would personally pay a little more and get the new corvette ZR-1 !!!
For one , the vette has proven to be a very reliable machine and it outruns the gt-r both on the track and in 1/4 mile times . Bottom line is reliability ,and warranty (general motors still gives you their 100,000 mile powertrain warranty on this car ) . Awesome looking in my opinion .

B D HEMI
Old 01-03-09, 03:48 PM
AKoch
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by B D HEMI
For one , the vette has proven to be a very reliable machine and it outruns the gt-r both on the track and in 1/4 mile times . Bottom line is reliability ,and warranty (general motors still gives you their 100,000 mile powertrain warranty on this car ) . Awesome looking in my opinion .

B D HEMI
IMHO there will not be very many people interested in Lexus and cross-shopping an american car. A german car - perhaps. Personally, (quality, technology aside), I just don't find american cars looking even remotely good never mind 'awesome'. Again, IMHO.
Old 01-03-09, 04:30 PM
foup
Driver

Originally Posted by B D HEMI

B D HEMI
I never ever liked American cars until the C6 Corvette appeared a few years ago and us, europeans, always laugh at the GM, Ford, etc, offerings: big boats with big engines, which could -sometimes- accelerate fast straight but which could not turn.

Things have changed and though I still find the Viper very ugly, I really like the Corvette look. And I have learned to dislike German cars pricing and reliability. If Nissan can make a GTR for 80K was is Porsche asking 140K for a turbo?

I can't believe there is a 2-year wait list for the GTR, I can't believe why Nissan is not making more of them instead of building those Titans or other dinosaur SUVs or for, that matter, pretty much any other car, since nobody is buying any car those days. Something is not right.

Quick Reply: Gt-R or Is-F?