IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

MotorTrend First Test - 2008 Lexus IS F

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-07, 09:02 AM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkrutch
You're dead on....Manufacturers are typically conservative (except Caddy with their V series). When I had my Viper GTS in 1997, I ran a 12.39 1/4 @ 118 in horrible weather. It was upper 90's and high humidity. In better weather the time would have been a few tenths better which is in line with what the mags were getting at the time.

Regarding the IS-F...Until there is a side-by-side comparison I will reserve judgment. I am sure the IS-F will do well. I put my deposit on the GT-R because I wanted the all out performance I had grown accustomed to over the years. I am still a bit leery of Nissan's numbers. 3.5 sec 0-60 seems a bit optimistic given the power to weight ratio on the GT-R. Unless the gearing is super short, I think those numbers will be hard to achieve. On the bright side, long before the car is ready for the U.S market, there will be plenty of road tests done. We'll see how it does.

Regarding the toys on the GT-R. It has all the nice amenities like bluetooth, keyless entry/start, nav, and leather dash. I am sure the reliability will be typical Japanese as well.

I am sure C&D, R&T and MT will all have done their comparos (M3, RS4, etc) before the first IS-F is delivered. That should give us all the answers we are looking for. C&D's time are quite impressive and more in line with what I would have expected given the IS-350 numbers I have seen.
so you already made a deposit for the GTR? do you know anything about the mark-up situation? I spoke a local dealership and this one annoying salesperson told me there will be a minimum 10k markup for GTRs. I spoke to a few others who acknowledged that there will be a mark up but they dont know the amount. are you still planning to buy the car even if there is a substantial mark up? I would choose the GTR over the IS-F any day also, but I just don't want to pay 10-15k over MSRP.
Old 10-30-07, 03:58 AM
Celsius
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, the reason why the GTR hits 0-60 in 3.5sec is obvious...IT'S UNDER RATED! Think about how easily it is to increase the HP in FI cars. Just look at all the FI cars that came out and how much the HP increased with a boost up and some tuning. STI, EVO, 335, Supra, etc. Nissan execs stated that the motor was built STRONG so the aftermarket could take advantage of it. I have my LS430 for when I go to dinner, but I'm getting a GTR for performance and my family can come with me. Since it's a DSG type tranny, my wife can take it for a spin too
Old 10-30-07, 05:48 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would definitely wait for the gtr. i dont even have to think twice about it. the gtr is such a complex machine it makes the isf, m3, c63, rs4 all look like riced out family sedans. yah itll be around 70-80k, but dont expect the isf, m3, c63, rs4 to be much cheaper. the last m3 w/ competition package stickered at 67k.