IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F vs. Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-07, 08:11 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,418 Likes on 1,742 Posts

I have never driven a C6 Corvette, but I sure have sat inside (and also a Viper as well). It has decent quality, fit, finish and refinement, but definitely in no way up to par with BMW, Porsche, Audi or Lexus in terms of material and build quality.

It is easy to understand how they keep the cost of production down and make it a great bang for the buck.

p.s. It is a fact, the radio in the Dodge Viper was exactly the same found in my friend's 2001 Dodge Caravan.

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
You know what it is? Until you develop a working knowledge of these cars (day in and day out), you can never really truly KNOW them. When Stefan said he wanted a Vette, I laughed like he said he wanted a Yugo. But after driving / riding in it a few times, I developed a whole new level of respect for the Corvette (and other American Sports cars). It handles like its on rails, rides well (with conventional 20" tires instead of standard 17/18" runflats), and as you said has tons of creature comforts (climate control, digital cruise, yadda yadda). Also he's never had a reliability issue, and he drives the car like he stole it from someone who stole it!!!! lol
Perhaps its aerodynamics, or gearing or just the engineering, I dunno.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 09-18-07 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-18-07, 09:11 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys, corvette's used to be cheesy and kind of American style inside. However, like the guy said above "have you sat in one lately". They are super nice. I think the build quality is there also. There are lots of vettes here in texas and I know a lot of people that have them. None of them have had any more or less problems than what I read about with our lexus.
The vette on a track/1/4 mile and all around is an amazing car. I am not even talking z06 either. The new vette will be 437hp, and will continue to brake better, accelerate better, and handle better then than any lexus, besides the lfa. They are truly a good buy in my opinion. You have almost super car handling and speed for under 60k.

The main problem I see with the vette is that EVERYONE (at least down here) has one. Also, it always seems like the type of people (i know this doesn't go for all so don't flame me) are those dudes that have some sort of tribal arm band tattoo that thinks because they watch UFC they are an pro fighter. Or you have other dudes that wear like the corvette jackets with the checker stripes on it, and always sport their "vette" baseball hats.

Lexus IS and I am sure ISF owners are all over the place, which is cool to me. we have young, old, nerds, stuckup, not stuckup, fanboy, etc. I like that about the Lexus.

I still don't know what car I would get for 55-60k. Not the vette, just based on how many, not the is-f based on looks. I guess I'd probably get an rs4. Wicked engine, decent handling and for some reason I think they look cool. The new rs4 will be 450hp, but I think will be closer to 65k
Old 09-18-07, 09:13 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

some of these comparisons are outrageous...

who is smarter a 2 year old or a 13 year old.... let's compare porche and civic... let's compare ..let's race a backdoor ant with an ostrich
Old 09-18-07, 09:15 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say a modded vett would take it--like money from a drunk hoe--

Stock Vs Stock... Close call... maybe
Old 09-18-07, 10:07 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default silly comparison

The 08 vette has upgraded interior, which is a more important add than a lil more horsepower. I will be in the market for something new this winter-spring. The z06 is raw, and if your wife will be driving it, than it could be dangerous. The IS-F should be compared to the cts-v, rs4, c63, m3. After driving a z06, I fell in love, but its not all about speed.

The is-f is deep on my list, and I am on the list to look first in Lexington.
Old 09-20-07, 10:55 AM
TheNewGuy
Pole Position

Let me get the flame suit out....ok got it. What about a GTO? It has the same 400-400 LS2 motor as the C6 vette. Yes I know some don't like the looks and its heavy (3800lbs or so) but at 27-30K new (if you can find one) you can dump the rest of the money in to mods, that 10-15K you save can get you around 550-600+ RWHP quite fun for a weekend car.
Old 09-20-07, 07:11 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TheNewGuy
Let me get the flame suit out....ok got it. What about a GTO? It has the same 400-400 LS2 motor as the C6 vette. Yes I know some don't like the looks and its heavy (3800lbs or so) but at 27-30K new (if you can find one) you can dump the rest of the money in to mods, that 10-15K you save can get you around 550-600+ RWHP quite fun for a weekend car.
Try 24-25k new with the last units being sold. Great suggestion, I am sad it just didn't catch on to the public.

Hell u could have an AWD Holden MOrano!!
Old 09-20-07, 07:26 PM
Chirodan
Rookie

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
I may be sold on the Vette, and keep my IS250 for the DD. I just miss my sports car (had a 350Z). I miss shifting. And yes I have sat in a vette...Z06 included and it feels like your in a rocket ship.
Man doesn't it!!!! I miss my Z06.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
As much as the IS-F will be a very cool sedan, it can never be what the Corvette is, even if you consider only mechanical performance. Add to this the iconic status of the Corvette, and it's an easy choice if you are interested in a very fun drive and don't have a need to provide space for more than one passenger.

I just would not expect my Corvette to be trouble-free. That too is unrealistic, and my sources are not anecdotal, they're owners and former owners. The honest truth is, if you want inexpensive, and real go-fast, you should be looking at a Viper (assuming you can fit in it comfortably.) There really isn't anything out there as competent for under $100k.
I'm sure that will be true to some extent about all hard core sports cars, but I have a couple of buddies that have vipers and one broke down during one of our group togethers a while back. So they have their fair share of problems. If I was gonna have up to 100k, I'd go C6 Z06 all the way.

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
I just figure for 45k-50k, it's tough to beat a Corvette. I want a Sunday missile and it seems the Vette is the best bang for the buck. The only thing I dislike about the Vette is you see them at every stoplight. That being said, is there really anything else that can compete with the corvette in performance and price in stock form? Nothing really comes to mind.
It is very tough to beat a corvette. Especially if you think about modding one. You can spend between 6k to 10k on forced induction on a corvette and have over 700 Hp @ your feet. It is so much easier to get big power out of the vettes.

@ least in Texas & New Mexico, I see WAY MORE 2nd gen IS cars than I do corvettes..... and I mean way more. Our cars are EVERYWHERE here.

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
You know what it is? Until you develop a working knowledge of these cars (day in and day out), you can never really truly KNOW them. When Stefan said he wanted a Vette, I laughed like he said he wanted a Yugo. But after driving / riding in it a few times, I developed a whole new level of respect for the Corvette (and other American Sports cars). It handles like its on rails, rides well (with conventional 20" tires instead of standard 17/18" runflats), and as you said has tons of creature comforts (climate control, digital cruise, yadda yadda). Also he's never had a reliability issue, and he drives the car like he stole it from someone who stole it!!!! lol

I always thought a 300hp or 350hp car is a 300hp or 350hp car, but thats not the case. These purpose built sports cars just run circles around luxury cars, no matter how much HP. Its such an intangible quality that can not be summed up with stats are HP / TQ figures. When the cars get on the road, one car just simply leaves the other (in the hands of a capable driver). Perhaps its aerodynamics, or gearing or just the engineering, I dunno.
I couldn't agree with you more .
Old 09-20-07, 07:29 PM
Chirodan
Rookie

for the money.
Old 09-20-07, 07:33 PM
Chirodan
Rookie

Originally Posted by t0e
I'd say a modded vett would take it--like money from a drunk hoe--

Stock Vs Stock... Close call... maybe
The corvett will still take it..... fairly easily I think, but we will see.

Dude.... your car looks pretty stick in that picture
Old 09-20-07, 07:51 PM
autovation
Intermediate

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Honestly, they're really different cars with just simliar track numbers (depending on which Corvette). I think it was a Chevy truck the Cyclone, if I remember correctly, it did 0-60 in like 4.9 seconds, but would you really compare a pickup to a "sports" car?
The Syclone does 4.3-4.6sec 0-60. I agree the Corvette should never be compared with an IS-F. If you're looking at $40k+ for a Corvette just get a newer NSX for that price and have a more reliable and more fun car, IMO of course. Then get the Syclone and you'll pretty much have my garage.
Old 09-20-07, 07:56 PM
Chirodan
Rookie

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I have never driven a C6 Corvette, but I sure have sat inside (and also a Viper as well). It has decent quality, fit, finish and refinement, but definitely in no way up to par with BMW, Porsche, Audi or Lexus in terms of material and build quality.

It is easy to understand how they keep the cost of production down and make it a great bang for the buck.

p.s. It is a fact, the radio in the Dodge Viper was exactly the same found in my friend's 2001 Dodge Caravan.
I have to disagree about the material and build quality not being up to par with lexus. I can't say about BMW, AUDI, or Porsche b/cuz I have never owned one. Having owned both the corvette & lexus, I can honestly say I don't see any better quality in the Lexus. How is it build any better than the corvette??? What materials are better??? The little wood trim???
I like that it is quieter, but the corvette is not meant to be quiet. I like the ventilated seats to .

1. And as far as the viper radio being in the caravan, Lexus does that to doesn't it with Toyota?
2. The toyota prius have push button start/stop to. So does the nissan altima and others.
3. The toyota prius also has the little button to lock the car from the outside "smart key" so you don't need to use the remote.
4. The toyota prius also has the back up camera like the lex.
5. Doesn't toyota also use the 6 disc changer in the dash like the IS?

I didn't buy the IS350 b/cuz it was "luxurious", I bought it b/cuz it looked different than other cars. It looked aggressive, and it was pretty fast.
Oh, and I liked the little wood trim .
Old 09-20-07, 08:02 PM
2GTSVETTE
Pole Position

Its like comparing apples and oranges. I doubt the IS-F will hang with the C6 stock. My mother (age 50) Drives a 1999 corvette and sometimes even my 1977 corvette.. I say get what the Lady wants and call it a day!

It all depends on what your intending to do with the car.. If its a Daily driver or a family car ill say get the IS-F but youll have to figure out what you want.
Old 09-21-07, 06:22 PM
TheNewGuy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Try 24-25k new with the last units being sold. Great suggestion, I am sad it just didn't catch on to the public.

Hell u could have an AWD Holden MOrano!!
Hell I didn't realize it dropped that far, since i am no longer in the market for one. That just means more money to dump in to the Goat. That would be a monster car.
Old 09-22-07, 11:26 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

IMO no need for a flame suit, anyone that appreciates cars can appreciate the GOAT. I really wish they would have taken that car in a more focused direction (exterior design, etc etc) because its a winning formula.

Its funny you mention the GTO because I had this guy go ON and ON about how I should get a GTO over a Viper, Vette, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Lear Jet, etc because its such a performance bargain out of the box! His dedication was a bit misguided, but he did have a point about it having that LS2 motor and being so inexpensive.

Do you have a tub kit on your GTO? I think its downright stupid that car has such narrow rear tires (255section width stock? 245?)

Quick Reply: IS-F vs. Corvette