Top doesn't work at all

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-16, 06:11 PM
Paleoman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top doesn't work at all

2012 IS350C:
I went to put top down for the first time this season. I hold the button down, I see the icon with the open trunk, but the windows don't go down as usual, absolutely nothing moves in the roof. After a few seconds, "Op. Suspended". Then if I try to drive, it tells me something like the "Roof half open. Stop vehicle safely. Please complete operation". And the trunk button on the dash does not work, nor the button on the key fob.

From scanning the posts here, some say disconnect the battery and reconnect. I do that and at least then the trunk buttons work, but when i try to lower the top, same thing -- no roof movement and the trunk doesn't work anymore. BTW, the thing in trunk is in the right place.

Your thoughts and comments appreciated.
-- PaleoMan
Old 09-14-16, 09:02 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

I had problems with my 2010 ISC earlier this year. My top would not go up. The car had a fault code of B0242A which translated to a bad microswitch. There are lots of microswitches in the mechanism for the top that indicate the position of the top.

I took the car to the dealer in order to find out what the fault code was and what it meant.
Old 09-19-16, 06:05 AM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paleoman
2012 IS350C:
I went to put top down for the first time this season. I hold the button down, I see the icon with the open trunk, but the windows don't go down as usual, absolutely nothing moves in the roof. After a few seconds, "Op. Suspended". Then if I try to drive, it tells me something like the "Roof half open. Stop vehicle safely. Please complete operation". And the trunk button on the dash does not work, nor the button on the key fob.

From scanning the posts here, some say disconnect the battery and reconnect. I do that and at least then the trunk buttons work, but when i try to lower the top, same thing -- no roof movement and the trunk doesn't work anymore. BTW, the thing in trunk is in the right place.

Your thoughts and comments appreciated.
-- PaleoMan
Depending on your production date you may still be within your warranty. It would be good to fix before you are out of warranty, if anything see if the dealer could Good will it, since it would be just outside the warranty period and this car is arguably just as rare as the ISF.
Old 09-19-16, 07:13 AM
Paleoman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Icy350
Depending on your production date you may still be within your warranty. It would be good to fix before you are out of warranty, if anything see if the dealer could Good will it, since it would be just outside the warranty period and this car is arguably just as rare as the ISF.
Thanks Icy, no such luck. Now I regret buying a Lexus, as fun as this 350 is to drive. I'm in Tallahassee, and there are no dealers here. I bought it in New Orleans since I passed through there all the time for work. Now I don't much any more and the nearest dealership is 3 hours away in Jacksonville. The NOLA dealer says no dice on warranty, and $190 to diagnose it.

Any chance that the Toyota dealership can diagnose/fix it? Otherwise I now have a hardtop non-retractable. At least it's completely closed.

thanks again.
Old 04-30-17, 11:11 AM
TomDac
Driver

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

This same thing happened to me this morning on my 2014 350. Scheduled a service appt at the local Lexus dealer. Hope this is covered under warrantee.

Followup: Dealer had the car for THREE weeks (they are super inept) and finally fixed it. Microswitch failure. Covered under warrantee.

Last edited by TomDac; 03-16-18 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-28-20, 08:21 PM
Ohisee
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I had problems with my 2010 ISC earlier this year. My top would not go up. The car had a fault code of B0242A which translated to a bad microswitch. There are lots of microswitches in the mechanism for the top that indicate the position of the top.

I took the car to the dealer in order to find out what the fault code was and what it meant.

How were you able to fix? Ty