IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

New wireless CarPlay/AndroidAuto for oem 10.25 screen

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-20, 10:14 PM
kobrah
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NikNikNik
I never got a airbag light, I also kept the battery plugged and didn’t disconnect the air bag
it cleared up after connecting everything up.

so I connected the power harness and connected CAN to the new split screen cable as u mentioned before. I ran that loop back cable dongle for the old screen connecter on their harness.

i didn’t connect any their power cables for the screen.

dip set to ON : for 2 4 5

anything that I might be missing ? I get the full screen but I see that I’m activating the factory infotainment while selecting in Carplay mode.
Old 06-29-20, 10:35 PM
kobrah
Rookie

Originally Posted by dojoman
MCU version is higher than mine but CUST version is completely different. Message those guys at Aliexpress and tell them it’s not working. At least Road Top they have free return, Carlinkit wants me to send back on my dime it will cost $30-40 to send it back.
do you have the carlink install instructions they provided ?
Old 06-30-20, 06:49 AM
NikNikNik
Pole Position

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Apparently RoadTop already supports IOS 14
The following users liked this post:
gandalfAUS (06-30-20)
Old 06-30-20, 07:59 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by kobrah
do you have the carlink install instructions they provided ?
I took pic of what came in the box.

zhifan1 (06-30-20)
Old 06-30-20, 08:53 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Can i ask, on the 2nd pic, there are shown 3 methods of installation. For a 2016 base IS200t, rotary ****, 7" non-navi, which installation procedure to follow? 2nd or 3rd pic?
Old 06-30-20, 09:22 AM
kobrah
Rookie

thanks man.

i was talking to the rep and she asked me
to check harness and then provided the following attached pdf.

told her I had connected like step 2.

she asked if I can switch it to the other .

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
?????????.pdf (1.56 MB, 113 views)
Old 06-30-20, 09:57 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zhifan1
Can i ask, on the 2nd pic, there are shown 3 methods of installation. For a 2016 base IS200t, rotary ****, 7" non-navi, which installation procedure to follow? 2nd or 3rd pic?
I think that depends on which harness came in your box, non-nav needs a specific harness vs nav.
Old 06-30-20, 10:01 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

thanks man.

i was talking to the rep and she asked me
to check harness and then provided the following attached pdf.

told her I had connected like step 2.

she asked if I can switch it to the other .
It seems logical to reverse those connection if not working but I was told same thing and didn't work. I think that's their scripted way to solve problem like if your PC doesn't work reboot.
I had to reach a higher up tech guy they had to make a new modify cable, I haven't received it so not sure it will work.
Old 06-30-20, 10:53 AM
kobrah
Rookie

It seems logical to reverse those connection if not working but I was told same thing and didn't work. I think that's their scripted way to solve problem like if your PC doesn't work reboot.
I had to reach a higher up tech guy they had to make a new modify cable, I haven't received it so not sure it will work.
I just switched the cables. so connected CAN to OLD and connected the loopback dongle to the NEW car.

It works lol. I no longer hear the infotainment dings when using the joystick and OEM nav doesnt have options being selected.
I'm thinking that they buy their harnesses from different suppliers that might have not followed spec or they are repurposing some from others. .

Based on this, the harness they modify for you should resolve your issues. Hoping for the best broda.
Old 06-30-20, 11:22 AM
yousufmian
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

For my rotory guys, I had this issue where sometimes where I turn only the accessory part of the car on (not full start), it boots the unit up like normal and all three buttons work but the rotory **** doesn't work in any way. The **** doesn't work, doesn't click or rotate on screen. Not on the car play or the factory interface either. Fix was to restart the car. Seems to not be an issue so far when I turn on the car all the way from the start. Only acts like that sometimes when I partially start the car in accessory mode and continues if I start the car fully if I started off in accessory
Old 06-30-20, 11:28 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

I just switched the cables. so connected CAN to OLD and connected the loopback dongle to the NEW car.

It works lol. I no longer hear the infotainment dings when using the joystick and OEM nav doesnt have options being selected.
I'm thinking that they buy their harnesses from different suppliers that might have not followed spec or they are repurposing some from others. .

Based on this, the harness they modify for you should resolve your issues. Hoping for the best broda.
That's good news. I'm crossing my fingers new cable works. Does up/down joystick works in Carplay because I was told you can only use left/right to select icons. But page up/down buttons work.
Old 06-30-20, 11:47 AM
kobrah
Rookie

That's good news. I'm crossing my fingers new cable works. Does up/down joystick works in Carplay because I was told you can only use left/right to select icons. But page up/down buttons work.
Yea only left and right with page up / down. I didnt get a chance to mess with it since I have to prep for work call.

It looks like when you go into Carplay mode, it actually defaults to the OEM infotaiment screen menu. The cursor is left above the icons so it can select or highlight them. Only allowing left and right movements. I did noticed if you wanted to go back to OEM screen to use those features, you have to kick it off by hitting RADIO or MEDIA physical buttons. Just a minor issue , way better than selecting crap in the background.

Old 06-30-20, 10:58 PM
dakest
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have gone thru all the posts here and i find this very interesting, I will love to get this.
With that said I have some question, I have a 2014 IS 250 awd without navi and the small screen, I know that replacing to the big screen is difficult, I want to know how the small screen performs with this carlink device.
Has anyone done this with the small screen and do anyone have a video that shows how it works?
I'd like to get this soon.
Thanks everyone.
Old 07-01-20, 08:52 AM
kobrah
Rookie

Yea only left and right with page up / down. I didnt get a chance to mess with it since I have to prep for work call.

It looks like when you go into Carplay mode, it actually defaults to the OEM infotaiment screen menu. The cursor is left above the icons so it can select or highlight them. Only allowing left and right movements. I did noticed if you wanted to go back to OEM screen to use those features, you have to kick it off by hitting RADIO or MEDIA physical buttons. Just a minor issue , way better than selecting crap in the background.
Checked yesterday, up/down on joystick works too for selecting on the device.
JayCee0919 (07-01-20)
Old 07-01-20, 01:07 PM
JayCee0919
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Couple of Questions on RoadTop Unit prior to Install

I got my RoadTop unit in literally 4 days including the weekend from eBay. I am super impressed with their shipping speed.

I have a couple of questions and would GREATLY appreciate any insight before I tear things down in my 2017 IS300 - 10.25" Screen - Joystick Control

1) In this picture they have the OLD CAR NO SPLIT DISPLAY plugged into the CAN CONTROL and the NEW CAR SPLIT DISPLAY plugged into the loopback - I am assuming I need to swap these so the NEW CAR is plugged into the CAN CONTROL, is that correct?

Picture 1

2) The unit comes with a USB FEMALE cable and 2 Yellow Vid Female Ends - the other side of the cable plugs into the device itself . QUESTION: Is this USB FEMALL END where I will plug in my Apple Lightning Cable if I use the Wired option? I think so but want to confirm ALSO what are the two video female cables for? Extras? I'm guessing so....

Device

3) Finally, Do I need the external Mic for the Apple Car Play or would the OEM Mic pick that up?

Wireless Mic

I'm pretty sure that I know the answers but I want to double/triple check with you all here - I REALLY REALLY REALLY appreciate all the help here!

Cheers!

James

Quick Reply: New wireless CarPlay/AndroidAuto for oem 10.25 screen