IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

State of the import scene - what happened?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-19, 01:26 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by taktiks
On the flip side, I would happily accept German car laws if everybody here drove like in Germany and the roads were maintained to the same standards. No complaints from me. But this isn't Germany, and there are countless variables that result in the way things are today, so this isn't really and apples to apples comparison. You can't make everybody happy, and I never intended to make that assertion.

My problems surrounding CA specifically is the enormous amount of taxes to simply own and operate a car, the extremely limited freedom to do what I wish with my own property, and the bias against modified cars versus all the terribly maintained death traps and poor drivers floating around.
And again you can't make everyone happy, those who hate it will leave and those who don't mind will stay. I have no reason to defend Cali, I'm from an Atlanta Suburb, but the reality is that Cali has a serious population issue and that's why they have crazy laws when it comes to cars and homes, etc.
EDIT: Gas over here for the locals is about $7-10 a gallon. Lol thank god we get it subsidized. Pretty much we pay Cali gas prices which to me is still expensive since I'm used to the Georgia gas prices.
Old 07-02-19, 08:24 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,582 Posts

I don't know if it's anything to do w/ population. We live in a state where its elected officials are voted in by the population who expects such laws to be passed. We lead the world in many areas such as this and have the 6th (or is it 5th now) largest economy in the world, surpassing even France. Smart states does smart things
Old 07-02-19, 08:47 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I've noticed the sharp decline as well, there are the odd stragglers out there, but in general the scene has literally died. Makes me a bit sad, really. Even if I don't like combat wings and neon glow, I like to be around people that want to show their own style with their cars.

By the way, I'm in Missouri, and live in a town of approximately 40,000 people.
Old 07-02-19, 09:58 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,582 Posts

My friend and I were talking about this the other day, before this thread came up. We think kids just don't go outside and play anymore. Today is more about virtual flossing and flexing. Instagram. Shoes. Music. Going to car meets, doing car things, was an extension of going outside to play. Play today is done virtually (of course w/ exception of stragglers)

Plus a lot of these older cars are becoming junked as years go by and it's either not affordable or not as cool to mod new cars. Who wants to mod a 2020 sentra

Plus the weather. it's just hot AF everywhere now. it's not as cool (no pun intended) to hang out in a parking lot with your buddies.