IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

The factory sound system suxs!!! smdh

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-19, 07:04 PM
Mewannalex
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default The factory sound system suxs!!! smdh

I'm coming from BMW and Audi and the factory system (non Mark Levinston) sucks so bad i'm checking some speakers on crutchfield right now. Anybody swapped the in dash and rear door speaker? Will the factory stereo move em? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-25-19, 07:14 PM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Mewannalex
I'm coming from BMW and Audi and the factory system (non Mark Levinston) sucks so bad i'm checking some speakers on crutchfield right now. Anybody swapped the in dash and rear door speaker? Will the factory stereo move em? Thanks in advance.
You can check this forum post, it has a lot of good information you may find useful. Check here
The following users liked this post:
Mewannalex (06-26-19)
Old 06-26-19, 12:17 AM
17ISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Agreed!!!

It's so bad I took it back to the dealer less than a week after I bought the car. They listened to it and agreed, so they kept the car to investigate. Called me a day later to pick it up, only to tell me that they talked to engineering and found out that the audio system is designed to sound that way. I took it to two audio shops to get the audio system upgraded, only to be told that it's all a big computer and can't be modified. It really bothers me. Anyone have any luck modifying the sound system?
Old 06-26-19, 04:57 AM
Mewannalex
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Thank you, I just talked to Crutchfield and they suggested me speakers for the dash and the rear doors that will work with the factory radio.
Old 06-26-19, 07:12 AM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts

I know each has their own audio preference and taste, but is the regular non-ML sound system really that horrible sounding (after all EQ adjustments are made)? I have the ML in my 350 and I know it has more speakers than non-ML vehicles, but just was wondering if the non-ML system is that bad. Mine sounds pretty darn good to my liking, after I've adjusted the settings.
Old 06-26-19, 09:02 AM
ABGLexus
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a 2019 non ML system and I think the speakers are ok after making eq adjustment. I wish there was slightly more bass, my 2014 camry has more bass lol.
Old 06-26-19, 10:55 AM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts

The other thing to note too (from other audio threads) is that it also depends on what source you're listening to. CDs or anything plugged into the car would sound much better than Bluetooth, for instance. And each of the audio sources can be configured with their own sound EQ settings.
Old 06-26-19, 10:58 AM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by unioncorps
I know each has their own audio preference and taste, but is the regular non-ML sound system really that horrible sounding (after all EQ adjustments are made)? I have the ML in my 350 and I know it has more speakers than non-ML vehicles, but just was wondering if the non-ML system is that bad. Mine sounds pretty darn good to my liking, after I've adjusted the settings.
Nothing "horrible" about the standard audio, I have 2 Lexuses one with ML the other without and ML clearly sounds a lot better but I would never call the other "horrible", it sounds "standard" without this ML-clarity.
Old 06-26-19, 01:56 PM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

I think the stereo in mine, non ML, sounds fine for a factory stereo. It is muddy, doesn’t have a lot of bass, and highs just don’t seem all there either, but still it’s fine. To an audiophile and car stereo enthusiast, it does suck. I replaced all my factory systems shortly after I purchase the vehicles, but the IS isn’t so easily done, and rather than mess it up, I just leave it as is. So yes, it isn’t as good as some, but it isn’t as bad as others either. Replacing the speakers will help to some extent and adding a sub with a small amp will too, and others have done so with great success, but you have to check your expectations when doing so.
Old 06-26-19, 03:43 PM
17ISF
Driver School Candidate

I haven't had a chance to compare to other ISs but I was told by the dealer that is normal... Is all the sound supposed to come out of the front dash speakers? The audio sounds like I have the fader all the way to the front. I read in another post that the rear door speakers are full range but they definitely don't sound like it in my car. If I adjust the fader to the back so I can hear the rear speakers, it sounds flat. All the sound and bass is coming from my front speakers. The dealer said it's supposed to be that way, but it wouldn't be the first time I've been lied to by the dealer. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 06-26-19, 04:28 PM
ABGLexus
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 17ISF
I haven't had a chance to compare to other ISs but I was told by the dealer that is normal... Is all the sound supposed to come out of the front dash speakers? The audio sounds like I have the fader all the way to the front. I read in another post that the rear door speakers are full range but they definitely don't sound like it in my car. If I adjust the fader to the back so I can hear the rear speakers, it sounds flat. All the sound and bass is coming from my front speakers. The dealer said it's supposed to be that way, but it wouldn't be the first time I've been lied to by the dealer. Can anyone confirm this?
Yes this is normal. If you want more sound in the rear, you have to adjust it to rear more.
Old 06-26-19, 04:48 PM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

There is a surround setting on the radio as well that makes that feature sound more so in the front as well. You may be able to check into that.
Old 06-26-19, 04:55 PM
sixbanger
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

I agree. It sounds bad. check out my thread on the subject: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...reo-build.html very easy upgrades available for our cars. They are pretty easy to work on also.
Old 06-26-19, 04:57 PM
17ISF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KYLexusMkr
There is a surround setting on the radio as well that makes that feature sound more so in the front as well. You may be able to check into that.
I messed with those settings but it didn't help any.
Old 06-26-19, 05:03 PM
17ISF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sixbanger
I agree. It sounds bad. check out my thread on the subject: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...reo-build.html very easy upgrades available for our cars. They are pretty easy to work on also.
I saw that someone else had linked to your thread. I just checked it out last night and ended up buying all new speakers online. A lot of great info, thank you!
I didn't notice anyone address the fact that all the sound is in the front. Did adding new rear speakers increased the sound level coming from the back? Also, can you confirm that the rear speakers are in fact full range?

Quick Reply: The factory sound system suxs!!! smdh