The IS falls on its face..in the shop 8 times now

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-19, 08:57 AM
djdepot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The IS falls on its face..in the shop 8 times now

Hey there! For the sake of not being long winded i will keep it short ,

2015 is250 has been in and out of dealers and independent shops, and the circus called carmax. 8 times

Problem is that it falls on its face when you accelerate from a stop. and the best way i can describe is that it feels like someone is holding the ebrake when i give it gas from a stop, then with no rhyme or reason it will snap out of it and accelerate quickly . witch can be dangerous in intersections ect.

it has had the tank drained of fuel and replaced, maf cleaned then replaced,1 injector replacement , and 2 codes cleared ( the dealer said they didnt record the codes, just cleared them?)

I am familiar with the adaptive transmission and the reset procedure, but that should not have to be performed every..single..day.

I just need help or somewhere to look myself. Fully comfortable working on the car my self and mechanically inclined.
Old 06-11-19, 09:19 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

This sounds like carbon buildup, perhaps? What kind of gas do you put in the car? It would be good to get an OBD scanner and see what codes, if any, remain. I'm not a 250 owner so maybe someone who is could chime in...
Old 06-11-19, 09:46 AM
djdepot
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by arentz07
This sounds like carbon buildup, perhaps? What kind of gas do you put in the car? It would be good to get an OBD scanner and see what codes, if any, remain. I'm not a 250 owner so maybe someone who is could chime in...
That is one thing I haven't done , I can check the throttle body / upper intake ,thank you !
Old 06-11-19, 09:54 AM
djdepot
Driver School Candidate

And for what its worth if the symptoms dont go away on there own ,i pull the ecu and efi fuses and it drives fine .
Old 06-11-19, 10:46 AM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

If it is driving fine right after you reset the ECU, the car is adapting to the conditions as it re-learns. I would also look to check the throttle body to make sure it is clean and actuating properly.

Has the dealer done any leak checks?
Old 06-11-19, 10:55 AM
djdepot
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pngo
If it is driving fine right after you reset the ECU, the car is adapting to the conditions as it re-learns. I would also look to check the throttle body to make sure it is clean and actuating properly.

Has the dealer done any leak checks?
ok great i will for sure check the throttle body tonight. ,and the dealers / shops have not done a leak test.
Old 06-11-19, 11:10 AM
pngo
Intermediate

Has the dealer logged any data on their laptop when the problem happens? They should be able to monitor fuel trims and/or O2 sensor to see if the engine is running rich or lean. If a leak is reducing flow past the MAF, then the engine would be running rich before it corrects itself then go lean right before the car gets power back.

Also, after 8 trips without a solution, I would look into lemon laws in your state.
Old 06-11-19, 11:12 AM
djdepot
Driver School Candidate

Has the dealer logged any data on their laptop when the problem happens? They should be able to monitor fuel trims and/or O2 sensor to see if the engine is running rich or lean. If a leak is reducing flow past the MAF, then the engine should be running rich.
no , being that we cant recreate the issue on cue they keep brushing me aside and just jumping to conclusions that turn out to be not the problem . but i have a scanner that can read live data that i will try on the way home .
Old 06-11-19, 11:54 AM
jay90011
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

It sounds like you have carbon buildup issues with the engine. Coming from a previous IS250 owner I had the same experience where the car would die for a moment when accelarating and then pick up speed after. How was the idle on the vehicle at a stop light while in drive? Did the rpms ever fluctuate to the point it would almost stall?
Old 06-11-19, 11:59 AM
djdepot
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jay90011
It sounds like you have carbon buildup issues with the engine. Coming from a previous IS250 owner I had the same experience where the car would die for a moment when accelarating and then pick up speed after. How was the idle on the vehicle at a stop light while in drive? Did the rpms ever fluctuate to the point it would almost stall?
The idle at a stop seemed to be normal , no shaking or shuddering , but as soon as I try to accelerate there is little to no response to the point of people beind ne honking / ect. Until I almost floor it to get it going . Also chugs/ jerks a little while cruising at like 40mph at no load .
Old 06-11-19, 12:23 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by djdepot
Hey there! For the sake of not being long winded i will keep it short ,

2015 is250 has been in and out of dealers and independent shops, and the circus called carmax. 8 times

Problem is that it falls on its face when you accelerate from a stop. and the best way i can describe is that it feels like someone is holding the ebrake when i give it gas from a stop, then with no rhyme or reason it will snap out of it and accelerate quickly . witch can be dangerous in intersections ect.

it has had the tank drained of fuel and replaced, maf cleaned then replaced,1 injector replacement , and 2 codes cleared ( the dealer said they didnt record the codes, just cleared them?)

I am familiar with the adaptive transmission and the reset procedure, but that should not have to be performed every..single..day.

I just need help or somewhere to look myself. Fully comfortable working on the car my self and mechanically inclined.
How do you reset the transmission? By pulling those 2 fuses?
Old 06-11-19, 12:26 PM
djdepot
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
How do you reset the transmission? By pulling those 2 fuses?
yes ,with my research it seems like the way to do it . Is there another way that you know of short of another dealer visit?
Old 06-11-19, 12:32 PM
pngo
Intermediate

The idle at a stop seemed to be normal , no shaking or shuddering , but as soon as I try to accelerate there is little to no response to the point of people beind ne honking / ect. Until I almost floor it to get it going . Also chugs/ jerks a little while cruising at like 40mph at no load .
The shuddering makes me think it could be the torque converter. Does your RPM go up and does the engine sound like it’s working when you’re “stalled”?
Old 06-11-19, 12:37 PM
djdepot
Driver School Candidate

The shuddering makes me think it could be the torque converter. Does your RPM go up and does the engine sound like it’s working when you’re “stalled”?
the best way to put it is unresponsive , like no correlation between the gas pedal position and the rpms . so the rpm doesn't really move.
Old 06-11-19, 12:44 PM
pngo
Intermediate

the best way to put it is unresponsive , like no correlation between the gas pedal position and the rpms . so the rpm doesn't really move.
Nevermind then, it seems like the engine is not getting enough air (perhaps fuel) and should probably follow checking-up on the carbon build up/throttle body.

Quick Reply: The IS falls on its face..in the shop 8 times now