IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS350: Buy used or new?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-19, 05:08 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,544 Likes on 1,734 Posts

I am not here to start a controversy or offend people....but here is what I do.

I like leasing because it keeps my payment lower. I have been able to get out of my lease and into a new one every 2 years since the dealer buys out my leased vehicle and puts it their used car lot so I am not upside down at all and roll into a new lease. Am I throwing my money away, absolutely but I love changing cars often and what is the point of working if you can't get the things you love provided you can afford it of course (and I do).

I negotiate the price and determine what the lease payment will be which is always a 0% rate in my case so I am getting usually a few grand discount and then get zero percent rate financing.

I like to lease because if the car gets damaged in an accident, I am not the one taking the depreciation after its repaired. I am not worried about reliability problem but technically, there is still the slight risk of a lemon. Now what I do is make sure that every months, I put an amount aside to make up the difference between what my car purchase amount would be (vs my leased amount) so that if I decide to buy the car at the end of the lease, which I never do, then the money is there ready to buy out cash with no additional financing cost. If I don't buy it, then I have just saved about 20k that can be used at a later time....so this is a great way to generate saving while ensuring that I won't pay financing fees if I do decide to buy it out, but this requires discipline. Furthermore, it also means that I am not leasing a vehicle that I could not afford to finance...many lease because they want a fancy car but can't afford the finance price...that is a huge mistake and called "spending more than you can afford"

My 2 cents....(with zero percent financing fee)
Old 05-31-19, 06:29 PM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Tharr62
That your kinda being a jerk, dont you think?
Not at all, just telling it like it is. Your whole point is that you got something as good as new for your money, and you simply didn't.

So yeah, you're happy with what you got, great, I'm happy with what I got.
Old 06-02-19, 12:35 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

It’s honestly subjective. You can’t really say “this way is the right and best way” because everyone has different end goals and financial situations. Leasing a new Lexus you can definitely get a good deal if you play your cards right, I did it and I got like $8,000 off MSRP. I was actually told that Lexus dealerships play ball with leases because they know they will make their money off of USED cars (if they are turned in) vs new. Obviously used cars yes you’re paying less than a new car BECAUSE it’s USED so you’ll save a bit of money compared to buying new, but if you want new you’re not necessarily losing money every time. You can’t argue with 0% interest to maybe 1% interest on a lease and making payments on only the amount of residual you end up settling on which will be much less than 0% to whatever rate your bank or Toyota give you for a traditional loan and then making payments on the full price settled on. It’s all about the negotiation skills and what number you settle on at the end of the day, that determines if you will “lose” a lot of money or “overpayed” which still happens with full purchases and used cars anyways (every car you lose money that’s just a fact if you don’t drive it until it breaks).The only cool thing about Lexus CPO vehicles is that CPO warranty, but if you look at a non CPO in the market you’ll notice right away Lexus is adding the price of that warranty into their sticker price. It’s a known fact dealerships will be much more open for negotiation on a new car vs used due to the margins. Just my opinion and what I’ve learned in MY situation.
Old 06-02-19, 03:03 AM
LEXUS225
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my research, the 16' CPOs are around $30-32K. Low mileage Non CPOs are around 28K.

I might even go for a low mileage white non CPO for 24K, but that's nonexistent.
Old 06-02-19, 05:14 AM
Tharr62
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXUS225
From my research, the 16' CPOs are around $30-32K. Low mileage Non CPOs are around 28K.

I might even go for a low mileage white non CPO for 24K, but that's nonexistent.
I guess this just depends on where you live then. I just bought a cpo 2016 Is with 23k on it for $24k.see my pics and post above.

It’s a known fact dealerships will be much more open for negotiation on a new car vs used due to the margins.
You have this backwards. The markup on new is fixed. They all buy from the manufacturer at the same price and that Delta is much smaller than you think. Rebates, and incentives are different. Without it, there is no chance. VS.. Used there is a ton of markup. They are much more willing to negotiate on any use car vs a new one.
Old 06-02-19, 06:38 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

New vs Old is also pointless if you buy the car early in its lifecycle. Not much IS350 F Sport inventory back in 2014 as it was such a new car and only in its 1st/2nd year. I want a G20 M340 or Genesis G70 but I doubt any used one are available.
Old 06-02-19, 11:15 AM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts

I just lease. I like a change every two or three years. You can get close to 20% off MSRP in So. Cal. on the IS models, which reduces monthly payment to only about $400/month with zero due at signing. Car always under warranty and I never really have to pay much for any maintenance. Also rarely have to buy any tires or brake pads, which could run close to $2000 every two or three years.
Old 06-10-19, 07:03 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought my 2014 IS350 so that I could get exactly what I wanted. I didn't want AWD. I didn't want nav. I didn't want F-sport. I only wanted a few small options (back up camera, blind-spot/cross-traffic detectors, LED headlights and ventilated seats). There were no cars like this, on the lots, and I special-ordered.
I've had my car five years, now, and will almost certainly drive it another ten years.
Old 06-13-19, 04:48 PM
axes2k
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryJG
I just lease. I like a change every two or three years. You can get close to 20% off MSRP in So. Cal. on the IS models, which reduces monthly payment to only about $400/month with zero due at signing. Car always under warranty and I never really have to pay much for any maintenance. Also rarely have to buy any tires or brake pads, which could run close to $2000 every two or three years.
i'm in market for 350, can you PM me which dealership you work with and whom?
Old 06-13-19, 05:14 PM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

The best deals I have gotten are from Lexus of Cerritos, Jim Falk of Beverly Hills and Newport Beach Lexus.
Old 06-16-19, 07:49 PM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Keyes Van Nuys is pretty competitive too.
Old 06-16-19, 08:03 PM
ABGLexus
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryJG
The best deals I have gotten are from Lexus of Cerritos, Jim Falk of Beverly Hills and Newport Beach Lexus.
I got my IS 300 F sport about a month ago from Westminster Lexus. Newport and Cerritos quoted me higher so I went with westminster. I got OTD price of $39,500.