IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Have you experienced early inner tire wear on your 3IS?
Yes
77.46%
No
22.54%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

3IS Inner Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-19, 07:33 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by AVIAT0R
Thanks for the detailed explanation E46CT.

Glad to hear switching to RC F bushings has been good for those who have done it. Anyone else have experience with RC F bushings? How many miles do the tires last? How many hours of labor does Lexus charge for changing four bushings?
theres only 2 bushings in the front, u don’t do rears.
lexus charges “book time” which is around 2-3 hours...
its a 30 min job from start to finish just find a good independent mechanic. Bushings don’t need to be pressed it’s an unbelievably quick easy job.
Old 04-24-19, 07:51 AM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Just had my alignment done due to severe inner tire wear at 7K miles. Car was severely out of alignment. I've owner other sports cars with excellent handling w/o an inner tire wear issue...so I'm not sure that this dynamic is baked into the car in such a way as to burn thru tires so quickly. Most folks who buy sports cars tend to push them more than they would a basic sedan, so the jury is out for me on whether this design is the issue.

i'll see after 10K miles and following this alignment, fi this is a design "flaw".
Old 04-24-19, 08:07 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by ShrinkDoc
Just had my alignment done due to severe inner tire wear at 7K miles. Car was severely out of alignment. I've owner other sports cars with excellent handling w/o an inner tire wear issue...so I'm not sure that this dynamic is baked into the car in such a way as to burn thru tires so quickly. Most folks who buy sports cars tend to push them more than they would a basic sedan, so the jury is out for me on whether this design is the issue.

i'll see after 10K miles and following this alignment, fi this is a design "flaw".
As sure as today is Wednesday the inner tire wear is caused by lower control arm bushing movement under hard loads (dynamic toe)
this was explained to me by several master techs at various Lexus dealerships. Here’s a video showing it..

I can tell you I had HORRIBLE inner tire wear on my tires, I installed the RCF/GSF bushings, did not get an alignment, bought new tires and after 10,000km of driving and have no uneven tire wear.

The following users liked this post:
Jbreezie (05-01-19)
Old 04-24-19, 09:00 AM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
As sure as today is Wednesday the inner tire wear is caused by lower control arm bushing movement under hard loads (dynamic toe)
this was explained to me by several master techs at various Lexus dealerships. Here’s a video showing it..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mpG32GK2mUY

I can tell you I had HORRIBLE inner tire wear on my tires, I installed the RCF/GSF bushings, did not get an alignment, bought new tires and after 10,000km of driving and have no uneven tire wear.
really is dramatic when you see it under load. Thanks so much! Is there a specific part number for the bushing you reference? Will this part fit the 2014 is350 Fsport?
Old 04-24-19, 09:02 AM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Originally Posted by E46CT
I've said this years ago on other forums and on here. Pay close attention:

The inherent design of cars in this class and up calls for suspension design that leads to accelerated wear in general and specifically accelerated inner tire wear. The Lexus IS just happens to be tuned more towards the extreme side of this "class spectrum." In layman's terms, Lexus baked in more compliance than on other offerings within their brand portfolio, and more so than other brands.

Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, etc. all experience similar wear and all have lodged complaints on forums.

The takeaway here is that you can't eliminate it all. And you don't want to. This isn't a Corolla. You have to pay to play.

I have attached a photo on a BMW exhibiting the same characteristic. I had previous BMWs that did the same thing. BMWs tend to do it more on the rear as their rear trailing arm bushing is tuned for a ton of dynamic toe (part of BMW's secret to their famous handling). It's what has given BMW extreme stability under braking from high speeds. Remember the magazines growing up as a kid that praised BMW handling?

BMW invented this suspension philosophy. They pioneered the class. A bit of learning material for you guys from E46CT.
Well, we may never agree politically , but you've consistently given excellent answers on car issues. Thanks so much!
Old 04-24-19, 09:18 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

really is dramatic when you see it under load. Thanks so much! Is there a specific part number for the bushing you reference? Will this part fit the 2014 is350 Fsport?

that’s what you want, also 1 thing to pay attention to is unless your lowered you want the “0 degree caster” ones. Shop around for best price on the parts, eBay is great, and make sure your not charged more $$$ than you should be, it’s a 30 min job don’t get ripped off.
The following 2 users liked this post by NickCaesar:
4Infiniti (10-11-20), ShrinkDoc (04-24-19)
Old 04-24-19, 09:23 AM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 82 Posts

Approaching 8k miles with RCF zero offset bushing and the new tires are all even, no adverse wear
Old 04-24-19, 11:29 AM
AVIAT0R
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for posting the part numbers! So happy to hear about the results you guys are observing.
Old 04-24-19, 11:41 AM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Originally Posted by TonyN
Approaching 8k miles with RCF zero offset bushing and the new tires are all even, no adverse wear
Where did you buy the parts and how much were they? I found it here for $67. Does this look about right?

Actually, the identical part (48076-24010) for Lexus is $67, for Toyota OEM it's $27. Can anyone tell me if this is the same part?

Last edited by ShrinkDoc; 04-24-19 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-24-19, 11:55 AM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Originally Posted by NickCaesar

that’s what you want, also 1 thing to pay attention to is unless your lowered you want the “0 degree caster” ones. Shop around for best price on the parts, eBay is great, and make sure your not charged more $$$ than you should be, it’s a 30 min job don’t get ripped off.
I noticed that the same part is about $26 from Toyota and $67 from Lexus. Do you know if they are identical? Or better yet, where did you get your part from?
Old 04-24-19, 12:24 PM
Napalvr
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

I noticed that the same part is about $26 from Toyota and $67 from Lexus. Do you know if they are identical? Or better yet, where did you get your part from?
Try Megazip. I got mine 2 weeks ago and paid $80 shipped from Japan
Old 04-24-19, 01:05 PM
chowd3r
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a very helpful thread. I bought a 2014 IS 250 and have noticed a vibration above 65-70 mph. It is almost always there but can vary in intensity; sometimes with the road surface. Is this higher speed vibration a common symptom from inner tire wear? I look forward to inspecting my wear pattern later tonight. Thanks again for all of the good info.
Old 04-24-19, 01:14 PM
Aleksei
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I am experiencing front and rear inner wear.

For the fronts I have installed rcf bushings month ago hoping to resolve the issue but what to do with the rears? It’s 2015 is350 F AWD
Old 04-25-19, 06:12 AM
AVIAT0R
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Interesting, since it is the same part number the parts should be interchangeable and identical right? Anyone able to confirm?
Old 04-25-19, 06:31 AM
lexuscanuk
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 Plus One

Originally Posted by Aleksei
I am experiencing front and rear inner wear.

For the fronts I have installed rcf bushings month ago hoping to resolve the issue but what to do with the rears? It’s 2015 is350 F AWD

Quick Reply: 3IS Inner Tire Wear