Notices
IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Sad day - sold the IS

Old 04-13-19, 09:11 PM
truu
Driver

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

Congrats on getting what you wanted!!!

What parts you selling and are you willing to ship within Canada?
Old 04-14-19, 03:17 AM
lychee416
Driver

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Tamale exhaust

Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Thanks guys! Nick I don't have much done to the car other than the exhaust, and I'll most likely be swapping back to my oem exhaust when in the next week or so. I'll be putting it up for sale on here fairly cheap even though it's virtually brand new.
is your exhaust first come first buy? I am in Toronto and looking for an exhaust for my Is 300.
Old 04-14-19, 03:55 AM
Burrcold
Lead Lap

Liked 42 Times in 40 Posts

I've had a lot of messages about the exhaust. Turns out that the dealership I'm trading the car into wants it and is willing to discount the new car for about the same as I would have gotten here (and now I don't have to bother getting it removed). If anything changes I'll let you guys know, and in that case it would be first come first serve. Thanks!
Old 04-14-19, 08:48 AM
arentz07
Lexus Champion

Liked 130 Times in 125 Posts

A friend of mine picked up a 2014 BMW 335i last week, and I had the opportunity to test-drive it during "lunch break". That car seemed pretty awesome for being surprisingly comfortable in spite of its Dynamic Handling Package and having, of course, a lot more straight line speed than I'm used to. However, I had the same issue with it that I had with the one I tested back in 2016 while car-shopping. The steering was well-weighted, and it was perhaps a bit heavier than the IS would be in Sport mode. The responsiveness was good as well, with the ratio being perceptibly quicker in Sport mode compared to Comfort. This weightiness gave me a little confidence to go through a couple turns with alacrity. However, when in said turns, you might wonder how it felt. I honestly don't remember. Now that I think about it, I didn't feel much of anything while driving the car. The steering column really isolated the road from me. While I will say the car was fun, I had the sense it wouldn't be as engaging - i.e., I wouldn't be tempted to take the long way home unless it was premeditated, if that makes sense.

Even when I drove a previous-gen A4 back in 2016, I felt a similar way about it. Now, it wasn't an "S" model, just like the BMW wasn't a DHP example like my friend's. And I do think as a daily, it'd be just a bit more livable than the IS. However, more fun? Power doth not fun make. I've heard great reviews of the latest A5 and S5, so I have confidence they've fixed that issue - same goes for the new 3-series as well.
Old 04-14-19, 09:20 AM
EXE46
Pole Position

Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts

The F30 having gone soft was why I ended up in a Lexus, now that my lease ends in 3 months. I am sure I don't want another Lexus besides my car has not live up to Toyota's reliability reputation and the RC is no longer in consideration. As such, my replacement will be the G20 M sport or the Mercedes C with AMG pack and all the cool tech.

My father-in law has the new S class and that car is superb, the way it coddles you and the abundance of technology. I never knew I could enjoy a car like that until now. While the C is no S class, the updated version is about 70% of the S class and thus I could very well end up in one in case I don't get the G20.
Old 04-14-19, 09:31 AM
NickCaesar
Driver

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
The F30 having gone soft was why I ended up in a Lexus, now that my lease ends in 3 months. I am sure I don't want another Lexus besides my car has not live up to Toyota's reliability reputation and the RC is no longer in consideration. As such, my replacement will be the G20 M sport or the Mercedes C with AMG pack and all the cool tech.

My father-in law has the new S class and that car is superb, the way it coddles you and the abundance of technology. I never knew I could enjoy a car like that until now. While the C is no S class, the updated version is about 70% of the S class and thus I could very well end up in one in case I don't get the G20.
what issues have you had with your car?
Old 04-14-19, 05:23 PM
JDR76
Lexus Fanatic

Liked 349 Times in 276 Posts

Congrats! Great choice!
Old 04-15-19, 01:46 PM
E46CT
Lexus Champion

Liked 335 Times in 271 Posts

Looks like a nice car--hope you enjoy it.

I'd like an S4 some day. I enjoy the clean restrained mature looks of a stock audi S.

most of the sport sedans out today are too in your face, even if nice.
Old 04-15-19, 03:08 PM
mvppadilla
Driver School Candidate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you dont mind me asking, what kind of deal did you get on the S5? I'm in a similar boat with an '18 IS300 f sport. I love the car for what it is, but there is something missing from this little 4-cyl. The lack of instant power when merging into traffic or changing lanes can be frustrating at times.
Old 04-15-19, 03:32 PM
Burrcold
Lead Lap

Liked 42 Times in 40 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT View Post
Looks like a nice car--hope you enjoy it.

I'd like an S4 some day. I enjoy the clean restrained mature looks of a stock audi S.

most of the sport sedans out today are too in your face, even if nice.
Agree completely. I've always liked Audi design as it's fairly timeless. I plan to keep it for 3 maybe 4 years so we'll see how it holds up.

MVP since I'm in Canada it's hard to compare whether I got a deal or not (in the US you have much lower pricing on cars and the dollar value makes a difference). Basically I got it for $54k and it is about $72.5k as configured new (and this is as close to a new "used" car as I was going to be able to find. In short, I just about cut out the depreciation on a new car buy. That's really what I wanted in the end.
Old 04-16-19, 09:50 AM
E46CT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by arentz07 View Post
A friend of mine picked up a 2014 BMW 335i last week, and I had the opportunity to test-drive it during "lunch break". That car seemed pretty awesome for being surprisingly comfortable in spite of its Dynamic Handling Package and having, of course, a lot more straight line speed than I'm used to. However, I had the same issue with it that I had with the one I tested back in 2016 while car-shopping. The steering was well-weighted, and it was perhaps a bit heavier than the IS would be in Sport mode. The responsiveness was good as well, with the ratio being perceptibly quicker in Sport mode compared to Comfort. This weightiness gave me a little confidence to go through a couple turns with alacrity. However, when in said turns, you might wonder how it felt. I honestly don't remember. Now that I think about it, I didn't feel much of anything while driving the car. The steering column really isolated the road from me. While I will say the car was fun, I had the sense it wouldn't be as engaging - i.e., I wouldn't be tempted to take the long way home unless it was premeditated, if that makes sense.

Even when I drove a previous-gen A4 back in 2016, I felt a similar way about it. Now, it wasn't an "S" model, just like the BMW wasn't a DHP example like my friend's. And I do think as a daily, it'd be just a bit more livable than the IS. However, more fun? Power doth not fun make. I've heard great reviews of the latest A5 and S5, so I have confidence they've fixed that issue - same goes for the new 3-series as well.
Agreed the F30 leaves a lot to be desired in general in terms of dynamics, but to be fair you did drive the pre-refresh F30. I think it was 15 or 16 where BMW revised some of the front suspension tuning including strut tower structure and strut bearings to give a more connected feel in response to complaints about softness. BMW pulled the same thing with the E46 3 series. Early ones had different tuning.

Side note.. A friend of mine just got an M240i convertible. Havent driven it yet but just riding in it, but it feels aggressive. you can tell the powertrain means business even just pulling up to a stop light. you definitely get the impression there's a beast under the hood. blips downshifts, rumbles audibly but feels completely smooth. same powertrain in the new supra. good choice Toyota
Old 04-16-19, 11:10 AM
arentz07
Lexus Champion

Agreed the F30 leaves a lot to be desired in general in terms of dynamics, but to be fair you did drive the pre-refresh F30. I think it was 15 or 16 where BMW revised some of the front suspension tuning including strut tower structure and strut bearings to give a more connected feel in response to complaints about softness. BMW pulled the same thing with the E46 3 series. Early ones had different tuning.

Side note.. A friend of mine just got an M240i convertible. Havent driven it yet but just riding in it, but it feels aggressive. you can tell the powertrain means business even just pulling up to a stop light. you definitely get the impression there's a beast under the hood. blips downshifts, rumbles audibly but feels completely smooth. same powertrain in the new supra. good choice Toyota
Yeah. My same friend was also looking at an M235i, and he said it was a lot of fun in turns. I suspect it's the better driving car.

Honestly I'd probably be happy with a car like that 335i (or, 340i) but I reserve the right to nitpick while I am on the forum lol. I mean if I could have the power and smoothness of the BMW with the improved steering feel and interior design of the IS - that would be ideal. Oh, and the Lexus reliability, naturally...
Old 04-16-19, 12:39 PM
E46CT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by arentz07 View Post
Yeah. My same friend was also looking at an M235i, and he said it was a lot of fun in turns. I suspect it's the better driving car.

Honestly I'd probably be happy with a car like that 335i (or, 340i) but I reserve the right to nitpick while I am on the forum lol. I mean if I could have the power and smoothness of the BMW with the improved steering feel and interior design of the IS - that would be ideal. Oh, and the Lexus reliability, naturally...
Yeah but really I think the G20 3 Series (the new one) may be what you want. It's reengineered from the ground up to be the class leader for some time to come. They are a lot bigger now though. The new 3 Series dimensions wise is what the old 5 series (E39) used to be.

Maybe the next 2 Series would be something awesome. Imagine if Lexus made a 2-series sized sedan based on the new supra chassis. With that same 340i engine and 6 speed manual To compete with the MBZ CLA, Audi A3 and BMW 2 Series...Lexus you are missing this piece of the puzzle here!
Old 04-16-19, 01:23 PM
arentz07
Lexus Champion

Yeah but really I think the G20 3 Series (the new one) may be what you want. It's reengineered from the ground up to be the class leader for some time to come. They are a lot bigger now though. The new 3 Series dimensions wise is what the old 5 series (E39) used to be.

Maybe the next 2 Series would be something awesome. Imagine if Lexus made a 2-series sized sedan based on the new supra chassis. With that same 340i engine and 6 speed manual To compete with the MBZ CLA, Audi A3 and BMW 2 Series...Lexus you are missing this piece of the puzzle here!
Yeah we're way off-topic, but I just don't think Lexus has a legit competitor in terms of performance and size to the 2-series, or really, the A5/4-series/C-class coupe lineup either. Sure, we have the RC, but it's 350 model is nowhere near the S5 in terms of straight-line speed or really in terms of handling either. It's more relaxed. The thought of a 2-series-sized Lexus coupe is pretty interesting though.

Still have yet to drive a current-gen A4/A5/S4/S5, but totally going to try one out soon.
Old 04-16-19, 03:01 PM
E46CT
Lexus Champion

^or even sedan.

Audi A3
Mercedes CLA
BMW 2
Acura ILX

And BMW is going even smaller than the 2. The new 135i just leaked.... its going to be FWD or AWD and I think 2.0L 4 cyl with something like 300hp/330 torque.

So lexus is missing small and extra small. They just start with the bulky IS

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: