IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2017 iS 300- TSB Brake Shims

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-19, 04:16 PM
MadmanJay
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2017 iS 300- TSB Brake Shims

So I brought my car in today as my brakes were squealing pretty much all the time when I applied them . I had them serviced in December and ever since they have been pretty bad. I live in Canada and we have had a cold winter but they just never seemed to stop squealing.

My service advisor mentioned that there was a new TSB (TSB-5173) that was recently announce in the past week or two regarding some new brake shims for my car. Not sure if they redesigned them or what. Anyway... he had these installed for me on the fronts at no charge and so far so good. It’s only been a day so we will see what happens but I hope it fixes my issues.

The other reason I took it in was because my Head Unit would randomly reboot. I know this has been an issue in previous years but no one else has reported it on a 2017. Anyway... they are ordering me an entirely new head unit to see if that addresses my problem.

Anywau just wanted to let everyone know about the TSB in case you are also having excessive brake noise.

I have 45000 km on them. He said my brakes are getting low but still good for now.
Old 03-14-19, 05:56 AM
aniks
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for this! When I called my service advisor he said that this didn't exist. I'll send him this number and the one I found on another page before my appointment
Old 03-14-19, 09:09 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

The US and Canadian TSB numbering system is different. So for the US dealer that TSB number won't exist, but they will have an equivalent bulletin.
Old 03-14-19, 09:19 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Here's some reading for you...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
L-TCI-5173-en.pdf (141.1 KB, 245 views)
File Type: pdf
L-TCI-5230-en.pdf (647.7 KB, 101 views)
Old 03-14-19, 04:12 PM
MadmanJay
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Here's some reading for you...
Thanks for the additional information. Interesting that the one they did on my car came out In Sept 2018. I had my break serviced by them in December and they were really noisy every since. I just hadn’t had time to bring it back in until now.

I would have thought they would have done this TSB on my car in December when they serviced them. Oh well.

So far so good... been a few days now and I haven’t heard a single noise, not even in the morning when they are cold. Will see how it holds up in a few weeks.

Old 03-14-19, 04:29 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MadmanJay

Thanks for the additional information. Interesting that the one they did on my car came out In Sept 2018. I had my break serviced by them in December and they were really noisy every since. I just hadn’t had time to bring it back in until now.

I would have thought they would have done this TSB on my car in December when they serviced them. Oh well.
When you brought it in for service, were they noisy at that point? Or did you mention any noise to the service advisor?
As much as the TSB is there, unless you complain about the specific symptom, they won't apply the TSB.
Since you brought it back with the noise complaint now, then they can apply the TSB.
Lexus Canada does and will look at work orders to see when a TSB is applied if there was a corresponding complaint that matched the criteria of the TSB...especially if the dealer is known to abuse warranty.
Simply...No complaint, no TSB.
I realize it sucks that you have to bring it twice to the dealer...believe me.
Old 03-15-19, 07:13 PM
MadmanJay
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
When you brought it in for service, were they noisy at that point? Or did you mention any noise to the service advisor?
As much as the TSB is there, unless you complain about the specific symptom, they won't apply the TSB.
Since you brought it back with the noise complaint now, then they can apply the TSB.
Lexus Canada does and will look at work orders to see when a TSB is applied if there was a corresponding complaint that matched the criteria of the TSB...especially if the dealer is known to abuse warranty.
Simply...No complaint, no TSB.
I realize it sucks that you have to bring it twice to the dealer...believe me.
Yes I did complain about the breaks when I had them serviced but they were not as bad as when I brought it back the second time. I actually had them services prior to when the brake service was due because of the noise was driving me nuts.

Anyway first week and not a single noise from my breaks so far since the new shins were installed. Even first thing in the morning they have been quiet so I am happy for now.
Old 05-01-19, 06:04 AM
AVIAT0R
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Did they replace with brand new pads as well?
Old 05-01-19, 03:46 PM
MadmanJay
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AVIAT0R
Did they replace with brand new pads as well?

No, the pads were not replaced. Only the shims to my knowledge. I think there is a different TSB that does include pads but it didn’t apply to my car.
Old 05-03-19, 05:05 AM
AVIAT0R
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh I see. I asked a Service Advisor about the bulletin and he told me CPO doesn't cover it, only basic factory warranty does.