IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Recommended Services ? 60 K

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-19, 03:05 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

There is conversation at great length on whether or not to so transmission flush, drain and fill, or none at all.
Lexus says flush rear dif at 60k for the ISF. So why not any other models?

I also have seen that Lexus in other countries says that you should do trans oil change. But not in the US. Interesting. (I thought Canada was one of those countries that said to do it?)
I'm all for OEM and following manufacturers suggestion etc. Etc. But on this one....you bet I will be changing fluids on my trans and dif for the 2nd time in another 60k or so.

Old 02-13-19, 03:07 PM
HOMER350
Racer

FACTORY RECOMMENDED SERVICE FOR 60K MILES /72MONTHS
  • Check Installation Of Driver's Floor Mat
  • Reset Oil Maintenance Reminder, if Oil was Changed
  • Perform Road-Test on Vehicle
  • Rotate Tires
    (Applies to models with same size front and rear tires and wheels.)
  • Inspect Axle Shaft Boots
  • Inspect Body
  • Inspect Visually, Brake Linings/Drums And Brake Pads/Discs
  • Inspect Wiper Blades
  • Inspect /Adjust All Fluid Levels
    (Inspect sealed transmissions, transfer cases, and differentials for signs of leakage. If any leakage from a sealed component is suspected, it is recommended that you have the sealed component inspected by a Toyota dealer. Inspect power steering fluid (if equipped) and brake fluid level/condition. Inspect engine and inverter (if equipped) coolant level/condition/freezing point. Your dealer may recommend services (Dealer-Recommended Maintenance) based on inspection results.)
  • Inspect Ball Joints And Dust Covers
  • Inspect Brake Lines And Hoses
  • Inspect Engine Coolant
  • Inspect Steering Linkage And Boots
  • Inspect Brake Linings/Drums And Brake Pads/Discs
    (Thickness Measurement And Runout.)
  • Inspect Exhaust Pipes And Mountings
  • Inspect Steering Gear Box/Rack And Pinion
  • Inspect Drive Belts
  • Inspect Fuel Lines And Connections, Fuel Tank Band And Fuel Tank Vapor Vent System Hoses
  • Inspect Fuel Tank Cap Gasket
  • Replace Brake Fluid
  • Replace Smart Key Battery
  • Replace Engine Oil And Oil Filter
    (Reset "Maint Reqd" Light If Equipped after maintenance at every 5,000 miles.)
  • Replace Rear Differential Oil
    (IS F)
  • Replace Spark Plugs
    (Required Under Terms Of Emission Control Warranty.)
  • Replace Engine Air Filter
  • Replace Cabin Air Filter (If Equipped)
  • Visually Inspect Transmission for Signs of Leakage
The following users liked this post:
ShrinkDoc (02-17-19)
Old 02-13-19, 04:47 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

welp, there you have it, folks.
Old 02-13-19, 05:29 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
There are special machines that will do it, but check the owner's/service manual -- it specifically says the transmission is NOT a serviceable item. It is a sealed unit and does not even have a dipstick. Likewise for the differentials and transfer case -- they are sealed units and maintenance says "inspect for leaks" only. Only if they need repairs are they to be opened up or otherwise monkeyed with.

The (used) dealer I bought my IS from warned of this very thing. His gf had a newer Dodge truck and the dealer did a tranny flush on it. Two weeks later it was blown. When you flush it, all the particles held back by magnets in the unit can be dislodged and clog up in the filter, potentially causing it to fail.

Sounds great -- just got the car, flush out all those old fluids and start fresh. Sure, the Lexus dealer quoted me some $1500 to do all that they recommended, but after researching I had them do the basic maintenance and inspection and nothing more. Left there for under $250. Now, maybe after 100,000kms I'll have them take a sample of the oils, and at worst have them replaced via a drain-and-fill. The only fluid change in the manual aside from engine oil is the brake fluid, which I'll get done when I do my front brakes shortly. The dealer also recommended a coolant flush at 60,000kms, yet the manual says 160,000kms.

The manual says, "Dealers may recommend other services" and they sure do that, alright. Do the research, and save your $!
LEXUS recommends people in Canada with a 3rd Gen iS get the transmission fluid changed every 100,000km and differentials flushed every 60,000km or so. When I called them and told them I was booking an appointment for it at 55,000km they said it was no necessary, I still wanted to do it and for 350$ tax in for all 3 fluid changes it’s a cheap assurance. I asked them to save me a sample of transmission fluid, it was extremely dark, almost black. They told me the differential fluid was not in good condition and the magnetic bolts were covered in debris. There’s literally a million threads, videos, forums on the matter. YouTube search “changing fluid sealed Toyota transmission” there’s hundreds of videos of people changing their “lifetime” fluid on their “sealed transmissions” which btw have a drain, full & overflow bolt on them like every transmission, they just don’t have a dipstick in the engine bay to check fluid yourself. Here’s some of the many bits of info available with a quick google search. This is a forum where a member sent the transmission fluid to a lab for analysis and it was garbage by 30k Miles... good luck keepin it in your car for the lifetime of it.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...Number=2631453
Old 02-13-19, 05:32 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

IS350 Warranty and Service Guide:

Nowhere anywhere in the guide under any service does it ever say to flush or change the transmission, transfer case, or differential oil. The only one it even says to check is the differential, in this one. As it says in the note, "not required". This is the same as what the manual that came with my car says. But if it gives you peace of mind and you don't mind giving the dealership all that money, have at it.
The following users liked this post:
ShrinkDoc (02-17-19)
Old 02-13-19, 05:42 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
LEXUS recommends...
This is part of the problem. I went to three different dealerships and got three different stories, on everything from changing to flushing to time intervals. Seems to me that dealerships just arbitrarily determine it, since Lexus itself does not. I wouldn't keep my original fluids in forever, but I also wouldn't change out my transmission, tc, and differential fluids every 20-40,000kms as the one dealer suggested, and certainly not flush it unless planning to do further necessary work on it.
Old 02-13-19, 08:28 PM
HOMER350
Racer

What I posted was copy / pasted directly from drivers.lexus.com site for service schedule.

In my copy, it says "replace" the dif fluid. But only for the ISF, which is silly.

And in your post, which is how it appears in the manual which comes with the car, in simply states to "inspect" dif. fluid.

Personal preference I suppose but to me by no means is any oil anywhere a "lifetime" fluid.
So yeah we shouldn't need to be paying to do this frequently, especially not the dealer!
There is such a thing as changing it too late and causing problems you described Atomic.

it's an interesting debate I've spent hours reading about it. I dont know which side is right but I chose a side which best fit my senses
Old 02-13-19, 09:33 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by HOMER350
it's an interesting debate I've spent hours reading about it. I dont know which side is right but I chose a side which best fit my senses
What have you come up with? An approximate or general schedule for each? As mentioned, unless I see otherwise I'll likely have them inspect the fluids at some point then see if anything needs to be done.
Old 02-14-19, 03:27 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

I would call it “misguided” to think that just because a transmission is “sealed” you don’t need to change the trans fluid. There are many cases of issues when someone does do it when they wait until 100,000+ miles due to there being to much gunk OR because whoever did the fluid change didn’t fill it properly. I will personally do it every 50-60k miles. Also the diff fluid is too easy to change yourself so I would do that one whenever you want at whatever interval (I’ll be doing every 40k).
Old 02-14-19, 05:08 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
There are special machines that will do it, but check the owner's/service manual -- it specifically says the transmission is NOT a serviceable item. It is a sealed unit and does not even have a dipstick. Likewise for the differentials and transfer case -- they are sealed units and maintenance says "inspect for leaks" only. Only if they need repairs are they to be opened up or otherwise monkeyed with.

The (used) dealer I bought my IS from warned of this very thing. His gf had a newer Dodge truck and the dealer did a tranny flush on it. Two weeks later it was blown. When you flush it, all the particles held back by magnets in the unit can be dislodged and clog up in the filter, potentially causing it to fail.

Sounds great -- just got the car, flush out all those old fluids and start fresh. Sure, the Lexus dealer quoted me some $1500 to do all that they recommended, but after researching I had them do the basic maintenance and inspection and nothing more. Left there for under $250. Now, maybe after 100,000kms I'll have them take a sample of the oils, and at worst have them replaced via a drain-and-fill. The only fluid change in the manual aside from engine oil is the brake fluid, which I'll get done when I do my front brakes shortly. The dealer also recommended a coolant flush at 60,000kms, yet the manual says 160,000kms.

The manual says, "Dealers may recommend other services" and they sure do that, alright. Do the research, and save your $!
@AtomicAWD Check the Canadian Supplemental manual...those lifetime fluids do have a service interval now as our climate meets the criteria to change them.
Old 02-14-19, 05:44 AM
SSworks
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is my quote for my 60K service i need to do 5000 miles ago because i am at 65K now lol

Old 02-14-19, 05:53 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

I think depending where you look, the info is a little different. Also need to consider your applicable region.
My Canadian manual says to change plugs at 96,000kms and coolant 120 months or 160,000kms.
The Canadian online Maintenance Schedule is slightly different:
Old 02-14-19, 05:54 AM
SSworks
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Not sure about that plug part...they are iridium plugs, so should be good for 192,000kms or 12 years...whatever that is in miles
I would agree with you on the PCV valve.
Why the hose though?
This is just a guess on this particular case but in past cases with other engines the PCV hose gets stuff and brittle which may affect how it seals on the new part or just out right crack or break when R&Ring.
Old 02-14-19, 06:05 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

I guess my point of the PCV hose question was that the statement to replace it seemed like a necessity rather than "as needed".
There has never been a service to replace a PCV hose, and in fact there may be other hoses on the vehicle that carry oil as well...so what about those.
It would be the same for coolant hoses...there is no recommended service to replace them.

However, all these hoses will eventually harden, crack, and potentially leak.
So periodic inspection would definitely be warranted and is recommended, and at the time the hose is found to no longer be in a serviceable condition, then replace it.

When someone says they will replace the valve this time and the hose next time...well what if the hose is still fine the next time, and the time after that, and the time after that, etc.
It's like saying I'll change the thermostat this time, and all the coolant hoses next time. It just gives the wrong impression about what service is actually needed.
Old 02-14-19, 06:25 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
@AtomicAWD Check the Canadian Supplemental manual...those lifetime fluids do have a service interval now as our climate meets the criteria to change them.
Where is that available, online? The dealership even printed out the checklist of what they had for each individual service had and none of what they "recommended" was in there, and I've gone through everything in the big package that came with the car as well as looking fairly extensively online.

That's the issue for me. Lexus doesn't say it, the manuals don't say it, and even the paperwork the dealer has doesn't say it, and considering they don't even agree with each other thereby the distinct impression it is arbitrary.

Quick Reply: Recommended Services ? 60 K