IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Car Shopping...Acura vs Lexus...and reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-19, 04:47 AM
runninlow3
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Car Shopping...Acura vs Lexus...and reliability?

Hi everyone, new to this forum!

I recently began car shopping. As an Acura fan and having owned 3 previous ('99 Integra, 2g CL Type-S, 3g TL), my immediate thought was to look at the TLX. I have test driven both 4cyl & v6...currently leaning towards the 4cyl w/Tech.

I would also mention that I intend to buy CPO '16-17 model.
I also have test driven '16 Lexus IS300 and enjoyed it. Would also like to add I never owned a Lexus vehicle but was pleased with what I saw so far.
There are pros & cons to both. Currently, I'm slightly leaning towards the IS300.

With that said, I began reading Consumer Reports and saw that Acura is currently ranked #22 in reliability vs Lexus at #4. Seeing Acura at #22 has me slightly hesitant to purchase because I plan keep whichever car I purchase for at least 5-8yrs.

For anyone that may have been or currently in this situation...How do you guys feel about the reliability aspect and/or quality of an Acura vs Lexus?

Any opinions, info, etc. are welcomed!
Thanks
Old 02-12-19, 05:15 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

As to your inquiry, I've never owned an Acura, so I can't really speak much to that.
Obviously Toyota/Lexus has had a longstanding track record for reliability. Doesn't mean the cars are perfect by any means, just pretty good.

The IS300 will be your best bang for buck for the IS lineup.
Old 02-12-19, 07:25 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Honestly, I trust only the Japanese manufacturers. I’ve only ever owned Mazda, Lexus, Nissan, Infiniti, etc. Nissan/Infiniti seems to be slipping in reliability these days though. Acura/Honda seems to be pretty decent reliability wise. Their engines are pretty solid, I think it’s their transmissions they have issues with these days.
Old 02-12-19, 07:53 AM
nothomex17
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been an Acura owner since the 90's, seems like the quality of Honda/Acura has went down from the 90's. Honda/Acura models as of late are having issues with Fuel Dillutions, vibrations, ZF trannsmission issues, 2nd gear grind on manuals and etc.

Waited for Acura to make a nice replacement for my 2008 Acura TL Type S and nothing really compared to it still so that's why I'm here. Jumping from Acura to Lexus.

Last edited by nothomex17; 02-12-19 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-12-19, 07:59 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

My Acura experience is outdated, but while I liked my TSX, the thing was plagued with never ending rattles and small issues like door lock actuators, alternators, etc. My Lexus experience has been far better.

Honda has had some engine issues of late that would give me pause. I'd honestly have fewer concerns about buying a Nissan/Infiniti.
Old 02-12-19, 08:43 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

I had an 04 TL plagued with transmission issues and burning lots of oil. After that joined Toyota and now Lexus. My Lexus experience has been much better but as with any luxury automobile comes fancy electronics which tend to break or stop working over time. Overall these engines and transmissions are bullet proof.
Old 02-12-19, 09:12 AM
runninlow3
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Welcome to the forum.
As to your inquiry, I've never owned an Acura, so I can't really speak much to that.
Obviously Toyota/Lexus has had a longstanding track record for reliability. Doesn't mean the cars are perfect by any means, just pretty good.
The IS300 will be your best bang for buck for the IS lineup.
In the past, I never looked elsewhere and kept going back to Acura...but this time around I'm leaning towards the Lexus brand and thinking about giving them a try.
If Consumer Reports is accurate with their test results and reliability ratings...then I would think that Lexus should be the hands down winner, right?

Originally Posted by Flash5
Honestly, I trust only the Japanese manufacturers. I’ve only ever owned Mazda, Lexus, Nissan, Infiniti, etc. Nissan/Infiniti seems to be slipping in reliability these days though. Acura/Honda seems to be pretty decent reliability wise. Their engines are pretty solid, I think it’s their transmissions they have issues with these days.
Originally Posted by nothomex17
Been an Acura owner since the 90's, seems like the quality of Honda/Acura has went down from the 90's. Honda/Acura models as of late are having issues with Fuel Dillutions, vibrations, ZF trannsmission issues, 2nd gear grind on manuals and etc.
Waited for Acura to make a nice replacement for my 2008 Acura TL Type S and nothing really compared to it still so that's why I'm here. Jumping from Acura to Lexus.
Have you been happy with your decision? And which Lexus do you own?
The IS300 is an attractive vehicle for sure and does have an edge on the TLX in style, amongst a few other things.

Originally Posted by JDR76
My Acura experience is outdated, but while I liked my TSX, the thing was plagued with never ending rattles and small issues like door lock actuators, alternators, etc. My Lexus experience has been far better.
Honda has had some engine issues of late that would give me pause. I'd honestly have fewer concerns about buying a Nissan/Infiniti.
Originally Posted by JNP1227
I had an 04 TL plagued with transmission issues and burning lots of oil. After that joined Toyota and now Lexus. My Lexus experience has been much better but as with any luxury automobile comes fancy electronics which tend to break or stop working over time. Overall these engines and transmissions are bullet proof.
All 3 Acura's I had in the past never gave me any issues whatsoever...but we're also talking about Acura's from over a decade ago!

Both the TLX & IS300 fall within the $25k +/- budget that I have for a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle, and I'm willing to pay for piece of mind/reliability!
Old 02-12-19, 12:30 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 82 Posts

Owned quite a few Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus in the past and always felt the build and reliability of the Toyota/Lexus is better. Recently the build quality of Honda, Acura, and Toyota has gone down ( my 2018 Camry Xse build is not as nice as my previous 2011), Lexus however is still good imo
Old 02-12-19, 12:55 PM
nothomex17
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by runninlow3
Have you been happy with your decision? And which Lexus do you own?
The IS300 is an attractive vehicle for sure and does have an edge on the TLX in style, amongst a few other things.
Just waiting for my 2017 Audi S3 lease to end in 6 months. Audi won't let me off the hook early unless I get another Audi. Leaning towards getting an 2018 IS350
Old 02-12-19, 01:01 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Just waiting for my 2017 Audi S3 lease to end in 6 months. Audi won't let me off the hook early unless I get another Audi. Leaning towards getting an 2018 IS350
Interesting! I was looking to get out of my 2018 IS350 lease to get into possibly an S3 or an S5 (and slightly interested in the C63 as well). What didn't you like about the S3?
Old 02-12-19, 01:07 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,904 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Originally Posted by Burrcold

Interesting! I was looking to get out of my 2018 IS350 lease to get into possibly an S3 or an S5 (and slightly interested in the C63 as well). What didn't you like about the S3?
+1 for this question, as I am also toying with the idea of an S3 to replace mine. (off-topic, but w/e)
Old 02-12-19, 01:17 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
+1 for this question, as I am also toying with the idea of an S3 to replace mine. (off-topic, but w/e)
Its okay. I was thinking RS3 but the back seats have me worried. My kids are getting bigger and they weren't too happy with the back seats at the car show
Old 02-12-19, 02:28 PM
nothomex17
Driver School Candidate

What I didn't like is that it wasn't manual. Actually it was my first car that was automatic and that is why I leased it. Other than that, If you're a relatively short and/or average height professional without kids, looking for a powerful, attractive, near luxury car with spirited driving dynamics for real world, everyday driving, especially city driving, you've got to give the Audi S3 a test drive.

I miss rowing my own gears as all my cars were manual so looking at the M3 and other cars. Maybe the Supra if a manual comes out. The IS350 will be for the wifey.

Last edited by nothomex17; 02-12-19 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-12-19, 02:36 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Not much to not like but it is more compact, like the size of the 1st gen IS300. If you're a relatively short and/or average height professional without kids, looking for a powerful, attractive, near luxury car with spirited driving dynamics for real world, everyday driving, especially city driving, you've got to give the Audi S3 a test drive.
Have you tried out the IS? It doesn't have that much more backseat space vs the A3 platform.
Old 02-12-19, 03:03 PM
nothomex17
Driver School Candidate

Have you tried out the IS? It doesn't have that much more backseat space vs the A3 platform.

The size is okay with her, (That's what she said) Jokes aside. Yes, driven the IS350, drives a lot smoother and predictable which the wifey likes since it'll be her car. She wasn't used to the turbo kicking in around corners on the S3 so I think that's why she prefers the linear feel of an NA.

Last edited by nothomex17; 02-12-19 at 03:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Car Shopping...Acura vs Lexus...and reliability?