IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Fogs installed. Which replacement bulbs HID or LED???

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-18, 06:31 AM
LEXSEX69
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fogs installed. Which replacement bulbs HID or LED???

I did a search but what are you guys running in your fog lights. I have the winjet kit and read the most are using the HID replacements. I also read that 5000k is where you want to be as I want to match my stock head lights and drl’s on my 2016 is350.

Which brand did you go with on bulbs?

Thx for any info guys!!!!
Old 10-14-18, 07:42 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXSEX69
I did a search but what are you guys running in your fog lights. I have the winjet kit and read the most are using the HID replacements. I also read that 5000k is where you want to be as I want to match my stock head lights and drl’s on my 2016 is350.

Which brand did you go with on bulbs?

Thx for any info guys!!!!
I’d highly recommend Diode Dynamics if you want a quality bulb. They have a really good warranty on their bulbs, but they aren’t cheap.
The following users liked this post:
Diode Dynamics (10-15-18)
Old 10-14-18, 08:45 AM
LEXSEX69
Driver School Candidate

Here is morimoto’s color scheme chart on HIDs:

Here is my car with fogs:

I just need to get the match and I’m good.
Old 10-14-18, 08:49 AM
LEXSEX69
Driver School Candidate

The above pic is from another kit I don’t care for as you cannot change out the bulbs.
I will be removing this.
I bought the winjet kit which has not been installed just yet and will buy additional bulbs to match my head/drls.
Old 10-14-18, 08:52 AM
ISTORO
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

+1 on Diode Dynamics. Good quality and warranty but pricey. Used these as replacements, no problems whatsoever.
https://www.diodedynamics.com/h11-xp80-led-pair.html

The following users liked this post:
Diode Dynamics (10-15-18)
Old 10-14-18, 09:13 AM
LEXSEX69
Driver School Candidate

So these replacements are a match in color? Some are also concerned about the cutoff line.
Old 10-14-18, 10:36 AM
EvilJoker
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

These are what I went with and am extremely happy. Color match is very very close.

Amazon Amazon
Old 10-15-18, 01:19 AM
ex00
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Morimoto from TheRetrofitSource has been my go to, good quality, well built and not too pricey. Never had any problems with them on all the cars I installed even with off name ballasts. They also offer Morimoto LEDs which are new. The color matching for the Lexus low/high beams will be 5500/6500K, if you want maximum lumen output but as white as possible it will be 5500K.
Old 10-15-18, 08:04 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,583 Posts

No matter the quality, injecting more powerful bulbs into halogen-based units for headlights and foglights is not the way to go. All you're doing is amplifying the current halogen pattern which causes excessive glare, (halogen fog light patterns do pass DOT because it has weak output.) but amplifying that output increases the glare to unacceptable levels. In other words, it's dangerous. For high beams it's fine because the point of high beams is to be annoying.

Even professional grade oem-level headlight makers have trouble creating LED headlights that don't cause glare. Imagine what your little chinese plug and play kit is doing in your headlights and foglights.

For non F Sport owners, I recommend these: https://amzn.to/2NJKZiK These are an effective aftermarket solution with properly designed optics and large passive heat sinks (which means they have strong output) think of how small the heat sinks are on those aftermarket bulbs... yeah now look at these heat sinks. This means proper power is being driven through them. I've had these before and the cutoff is correct.

As for F Sport owners.... well there's no choice but custom. I went with Professional Koito Corolla OEM LED units... in custom housings I made. not 100% pretty but they get the job done. They're basically stock IS LED projectors (they use the same parts).

Old 10-15-18, 08:09 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

I’ve been running Diode Dynamics LED bulbs in my fogs for my G37S and have not had any issues with glare they were originally halogen bulbs. After 3 years they are still going strong.
Old 10-15-18, 08:18 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

The glare issue is not for you, it's for oncoming drivers. And yeah they'll still turn on when you hit the switch. That's not the point. All that proves is that you've made the wrong choice for years.

Performance is a mixed bag between models and depends on the particular optics involved, but generally speaking, it's not optimal and not proper, and highly likely an aesthetic mod at best. Halogen bulbs emit light completely evenly in all directions from a single filament. LEDs are a lot more directional and need tuning. Of course OEM LED headlights/foglights or properly designed LED projection units are engineered completely differently and do not work this way at all.

If you want actual performance, you need proper optics, proper power, proper cooling, and proper projection for critical lighting applications where safety is involved.

Fog lights are a lesser evil than headlights cause they're not used as much as your main headlights, but if your cutoff isn't sharp, you better have those things aimed way down.

Here's what morimoto fogs look like on a wall:

plug and play

Old 10-15-18, 08:20 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

The cutoff for mine are actually really good and I’ve tested to see if it blinds drivers and it doesn’t. The only way you’re going to be blinded by my fogs is if you go up to my car and stick your eyeball right in front of it. You shouldn’t assume everyone doesn’t know what they are doing. Just saying.
Old 10-15-18, 03:04 PM
LEXSEX69
Driver School Candidate

I run the retrofit source (morimoto’) in all my past vehicles and present is why I used them as an example because they are a very well made led source and the cutoff is extremely sharp based on my fogs in others I have installed. The price point for a quality setup is great and I also used the 5500k which is a white led and I’m pretty sure it will be exactly what I’m looking for. I was also concerned about the cutoffs as my new 17 gmc Denali 2500HD has the fogs and it’s very white and the cutoffs are sharp with absolutely NO glare at all.
Old 10-15-18, 03:16 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Assuming you are correct you sat in a car as your friend drove YOUR car in your direction at night and you confirmed no excessive glare, that doesn't mean the output is ideal or even effective. The stock Toyota halogen foglight has a poor pattern and has been in service for around a decade (very old design used in older Camrys). It's a standard pattern Lexus and Toyota has been sharing up until recent cars. So LED just makes normal-brightness poor to mega brightness poor. For the OP, there's a better option that doesn't cost much more, or costs the same as a proper LED projection system.

I was one of the very first in the year 2002 to do an HID retrofit when hardly anybody even knew it was possible, and have been playing with lighting systems ever since. My good friend had connections with companies China and we were trial testing the very first re-based modified Philips H4 kits out there. very very very early adopters. Mega bucks in 2002. Mega. Of course back then we didn't knnow any better. But it gave experience.

So I've learned the difference from right and wrong when it comes to headlights/light modding for over 16 years. LED plug in bulbs have come a long way and can produce OK results in mostly non-critical applications but the successes stop at just OK. Like I said results would be a mixed bag depending on application, bulb brand/design/generation, and tuning.
Old 10-15-18, 03:41 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by E46CT
Assuming you are correct you sat in a car as your friend drove YOUR car in your direction at night and you confirmed no excessive glare, that doesn't mean the output is ideal or even effective. The stock Toyota halogen foglight has a poor pattern and has been in service for around a decade (very old design used in older Camrys). It's a standard pattern Lexus and Toyota has been sharing up until recent cars. So LED just makes normal-brightness poor to mega brightness poor. For the OP, there's a better option that doesn't cost much more, or costs the same as a proper LED projection system.

I was one of the very first in the year 2002 to do an HID retrofit when hardly anybody even knew it was possible, and have been playing with lighting systems ever since. My good friend had connections with companies China and we were trial testing the very first re-based modified Philips H4 kits out there. very very very early adopters. Mega bucks in 2002. Mega. Of course back then we didn't knnow any better. But it gave experience.

So I've learned the difference from right and wrong when it comes to headlights/light modding for over 16 years. LED plug in bulbs have come a long way and can produce OK results in mostly non-critical applications but the successes stop at just OK. Like I said results would be a mixed bag depending on application, bulb brand/design/generation, and tuning.
I get really good output on the road and it looks good. As long as I’m happy with it and it isn’t irritating others what’s the problem? To the OP I say do whatever you’d like and as long as you’re satisfied with it and it isn’t blinding other drivers there should be no problem. Morimotos and Diode Dynamics make good LEDs I have Morimotos on my Celica.

Quick Reply: Fogs installed. Which replacement bulbs HID or LED???