IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Paint on roof evaporating?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-18, 11:12 AM
Nilla36
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint on roof evaporating?

I purchased a 2015 Certified Lexus IS 250 in May of this year. Didn't notice any paint flaws, nor did the other people that were with me. I have carefully washed the car since I purchased it and have kept it really clean since then, but did notice a spot on the roof after a couple of weeks. About 5 days ago after washing the car I noticed about 100 little tiny spots on the roof, almost like the clear coat is evaporating! I have no ida what is going on. I took my car to Charles Barker Lexus in Va Beach, they said it was bird poop damage or tree sap damage. I informed them that I don't park under trees and if the car is dirty, I wash it right away. Usually every 2 or 3 days. The dealership is telling me there is nothing they can do and it's acid rain, tree sap, or "other environmental factors".

I'm pretty upset to put it mildly. This is the first nice car I've ever owned and can't believe they're telling me tree sap and acid rain. I don't know what else to do. I have an appointment on Friday so they can "buff" it. Do I go to the General Manager, or who? My wife has a 2015 Acura, bird crap left on for 2 weeks at a time, no damage at all. Any advice is/will be greatly appreciated! Thanks folks.
Old 08-29-18, 11:22 AM
V350
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

If it's certified, and you have proof it was not there when you purchased, then I think you can make an issue. You can always contact corporate, tell them you are not satisfied. Or try another dealer.
Old 08-29-18, 11:26 AM
Nilla36
Driver School Candidate

I don't have proof that it wasn't there when I purchased it. My gut instinct tells me I'm getting screwed over.
Old 08-29-18, 01:03 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Could this have been a bad paint job? Due to hail damage, perhaps?

Yeah I wouldn't let it go. "Acid rain"? Yeah right.
Old 08-29-18, 01:20 PM
V350
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
"Acid rain"? Yeah right.
Agreed. I had a car parked outside for 3 years, NO paint damage. Even if you only have a picture of you and the car from the first day, zoom in and see if roof is visible. I would call corporate and say "I am not satisfied with the dealer." It's a bigger deal for dealers when corporate gets involved.
Old 08-29-18, 01:32 PM
Nilla36
Driver School Candidate

I do have pictures from the first day of purchase, but not on the correct spot of the roof. I guess call corporate? Our family has purchased 3 cars from this dealership, one for myself, and my wife's mother has purchased two cars from them. I would of thought that they would be more eager to assist?
Old 08-29-18, 01:55 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I wouldn't spend too much time trying to prove it wasn't like that when you bought it. Might backfire as they'll just say that it shows that it was fine when they sold it and you must have done something to cause it. I would post this on the detailing forum as that group always has some good insight into paint issues like this.
Old 08-29-18, 02:29 PM
gretzky99
Driver School Candidate

that looks like the clear coat failed
Old 08-29-18, 03:22 PM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 132 Likes on 95 Posts

Etching from Bird poop?
Old 08-29-18, 03:28 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by JBison73
Etching from Bird poop?
That would have had to have been on there for a WHILE to do that. I've had bird poop on my cars and it hasn't done that; granted idk if that's because I have all my cars glazed/sealed/waxed. I couldn't imagine bird poop doing that even being there for a week, but I could be wrong.
Old 08-29-18, 03:33 PM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Flash5
That would have had to have been on there for a WHILE to do that. I've had bird poop on my cars and it hasn't done that; granted idk if that's because I have all my cars glazed/sealed/waxed. I couldn't imagine bird poop doing that even being there for a week, but I could be wrong.
Bird poop can absolutely do that. Although this would a really bad case of it.

Here is a thread from here on it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing/835602-bird-poop-etching.html
Old 08-29-18, 03:37 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...p-etching.html
I'm not saying it can't do that, I'm saying it's very rare for bird poop to do that in like less than a week. OP stated he washes his car at least once a week. I have left bird poop on my cars for 2 to 3 weeks before and no damage.Still, that really sucks that it happened.
Old 08-29-18, 03:41 PM
JBison73
Lead Lap

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing/835602-bird-poop-etching.html
I had bird poop on my car overnight and it etched. It was a mild case but I had to get it buffed out. Pain in the ***
Old 08-29-18, 03:44 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

I had bird poop on my car overnight and it etched. It was a mild case but I had to get it buffed out. Pain in the ***
Well, there's no buffing out OP's problem that's for sure. Had it been mild damage to the clear coat he could have just polished it then sealed/waxed it.
Old 08-30-18, 03:09 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,570 Posts

Feel with your fingernail. Does the white spot dip down or is it raised? If raised, try soaking it in soapy water or goo-gone, whatever. Clay bar it. wash it. Then you can wet sand AND buff it (you just don't go straight buffing bird poop)

if the white spot dips down, you're screwed. the clear coat has gone. and possibly beyond that. Not a huge deal though, just get the roof resprayed (about $400) and be careful in the future about letting stuff etch into your paint.

Quick Reply: Paint on roof evaporating?