IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus 3IS stock brake pad sources, part numbers, and tips!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-18, 03:07 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,209 Likes on 1,655 Posts
Post Lexus 3IS stock brake pad sources, part numbers, and tips!

I wanted to create information source for Lexus 3IS brake pad part numbers. If you drive a 3IS and want to DIY, chances are you will be needing this information at some point or another. In fact, you'll be needing it quite frequently as the brakes on these cars wear REALLY fast due to their high performance nature (F Sport models). If you're afraid of DIY, don't be. Using common sense, basic hand tools, and safe working procedures, you can EASILY change the brake pads and rotors. Easiest brakes I've ever done. First time I ever did the front pads on this car, took me 30 min start to finish. Of course if you are still not confident or have concerns, consult a professional!

F Sport and non-F Sport pads may be used interchangeably as desired* (Except IS250 which uses different smaller calipers for non-Sport)

In addition, it appears F Sport only changes the formula of the front pads. The rear pads appear to be the same across the board for all models regardless if F Sport or not.

F Sport pads provide maximum stopping power and fade/heat resistance but create a lot of dust and more vulnerable to noise. They are sourced from German company Textar which is a major supplier that has been supplying BMW for decades.

Non-F Sport pads provide good stopping power, but are less fade and heat resistant. As an upside, they create less dirt and are quieter. I believe the supplier is Aisin. The way to identify F Sport pads from non-F Sport pads is F Sport pads are painted black and non-F Sport are painted blue.

Front Pad Sets
IS200t/IS300/IS350 with F Sport: 0446530500 (BLACK PAINTED PADS)
IS200t/IS300/IS350 non-F Sport:0446530450 (BLUE PAINTED PADS)

IS250 non-F Sport: 0446530480
IS250 F Sport: 0446553040

Rear Pad Sets:
IS200t/IS300/IS350: 0446630312
IS250: 0446630282

Aftermarket F Sport Front Pad Set, branded by Beck/Arnley but manufactured by OE supplier Textar (See post here)

I found the stock F Sport pads are $65 shipped on eBay. Prices subject to change. Be careful though because a lot of these cars from this era including Lexus LS, GS, and 2IS and 3IS Non-F Sport all use essentially the same brake hardware but specify a different, less aggressive ceramic pad formula for low dust and noise, but with reduced friction. So even if many pads from many cars may fit, make sure for the best 3IS F Sport pads, the pads are stamped "Textar" on the back. Low-friction/Low-dust versions might be painted black, but say "Advics" on the back. Look for the eBay seller's pictures of the pads and make sure they're specifically for 2014+ F Sport. Unless you want the low friction pads or don't care, then get whatever.

Dirt/noise: Yes the F Sport pads create a lot of noise and dust, but this is a natural byproduct of Professional Performance Brakes. The noise is caused by high frequency vibrations due to the friction characteristics and materials chosen, including the high build up of dust around the brake hardware. Consider it a badge of honor. With high friction metallic pads, you are playing in the league of high performance BMW and Porsche brakes which all create a ton of noise and dust. You have to pay to play. To help mitigate the dirt and noise, ensure your wheels and car are coated in a very durable slick wax such as Collinite and you use a high pressure nozzle to wash any excess debris and grime from your brake hardware. Once a week is appropriate. To clean the dirt and dust that DOES manage to stick to your wheels, use a high quality brush such as this one. I personally use this and it makes quick work out of cleaning the stock F Sport wheels. Fits the triangles perfectly and is gentle. I wash my wheels once a week and get no noise ever.

Shims: re use them. Two per brake pad. Clean with brake cleaner and rub a very light coating of high temp brake grease between the shims themselves and between the pads and shim. Very light coating. Also coat the pad ears where they contact the caliper block. Ensure the block is cleaned and any excess debris is removed as well.

Finally make sure you use sandpaper (around 600-800 grit) or equivalent to remove any debris/corrosion from the wheel or rotor face (if using old rotors) before reinstalling everything. Any debris can lessen your final torque as the debris crushes, possibly resulting in wheel separation at speed. Torque wheel lug nuts to 80-85 ft. lbs. Personally I use 90.

Average life expectancy of F Sport pads will be between 12,000 to 18,000 miles depending on driving style. Non-F Sport pads will likely last longer.

Minimum front rotor spec is 28mm. New is 30mm. This means you're allowed 1mm of wear per each side of the rotor, assuming they wear evenly. Basically if you can feel a lip on your rotors using your fingernail, start thinking about replacing them. You can have them turned but I wouldn't recommend it as you're already at or very near minimum thickness. Thankfully the engineers worked out the math on what's safe.

Rotors

Buy genuine Lexus/Toyota rotors to ensure you have a quality product. They're superb. However I am currently using Meyle rotors. Meyle is a German company popular in the BMW/Mercedes community and has been offering aftermarket OEM-grade goods for a long time. I ordered my set of Meyle rotors off eBay for $109--shipped. If you buy a set of Lexus rotors on eBay, you'll run about $210 shipped. So far my Meyle rotors have been glass smooth w/ the stock F Sport high friction pads. After personal experience, I continue to recommend blank-style rotors over aftermarket drilled/slotted.

Front rotor (IS200t/IS300/IS350): 4351622010 (Left) and 4351222260 (right), or IS250 4351230310 (Left), 0446553040 (Right)
Rear rotor(all models): 4243130310

Please feel free to chime in w/ add'l tech specs, part #s, or other factual changes recommended. I threw this together as quickly and accurately as possible. There are of course a zillion choices for aftermarket pads. We'll leave that up for people to decide should they want to. Either way, these part numbers can be used for reference.

Last edited by E46CT; 10-18-19 at 09:39 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by E46CT:
lance55 (08-03-18), minhael (08-02-18), Sallyd (03-09-20)
Old 08-02-18, 05:30 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Good write up. I'll just add...or just buy Akebono pads and get no dust, no noise, and 99% of most peoples usable braking power/ability/need.
Old 08-02-18, 07:06 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks, I needed this.
Old 08-02-18, 08:10 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Burrcold
Good write up. I'll just add...or just buy Akebono pads and get no dust, no noise, and 99% of most peoples usable braking power/ability/need.
Agreed! Akebono everytime!
Old 08-02-18, 08:38 PM
Gsr3is
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Good info here. Thanks.

I have had Akebono on my e90 for nearly 37K miles, on my miata for few 1000 miles and to be honest I would not get it again. Good part is that the brake pad wear is very minimal and almost zero brake dust. But the performance drop off is very significant. Especially in colder weather. They become spongy until the pads heat up. They lack the initial bite. There is a theory behind this. The reason the brake dust is minimal is that they are made of ceramic. While most OEM front pads semi-metallic. The Semi-metallic compound tends to build up temperature fast to be in "active" zone while ceramic pads require a lot of heat to produce the same amount of friction. And in colder weather, this will take a while. But as I said, Akebono produce very little dust and will last a really long time.
Old 08-02-18, 10:01 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gsr3is
Good info here. Thanks.

I have had Akebono on my e90 for nearly 37K miles, on my miata for few 1000 miles and to be honest I would not get it again. Good part is that the brake pad wear is very minimal and almost zero brake dust. But the performance drop off is very significant. Especially in colder weather. They become spongy until the pads heat up. They lack the initial bite. There is a theory behind this. The reason the brake dust is minimal is that they are made of ceramic. While most OEM front pads semi-metallic. The Semi-metallic compound tends to build up temperature fast to be in "active" zone while ceramic pads require a lot of heat to produce the same amount of friction. And in colder weather, this will take a while. But as I said, Akebono produce very little dust and will last a really long time.
Well said. There's a reason why performance divisions use the noisy/dirty metallic pads that they do. BMW enthusiasts for years also report performance drop off with Akebono and similar ceramic pads. For ultimate stopping power and safety on the street, I fully recommend the most powerful pad Lexus offers. It's quite obvious there's a trade-off involved. That's why Lexus offers two versions. Nothing comes for free. But again, leave that up for people to decide. This thread is for referencing part #s for those searching for brakes =)
Old 08-03-18, 11:05 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,895 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Very nice write-up. Makes me wonder if I should do my pads myself, as I am coming up on that any time now, I expect.

Average life expectancy of F Sport pads will be between 12,000 to 18,000 miles depending on driving style. Non-F Sport pads will likely last longer.
I have an IS 300 AWD F Sport, so I assume it came with the F Sport pads, but I just hit 21,000 miles and still going. Maybe I am more of a grandpa driver than I thought?
Old 08-03-18, 12:04 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks. Could be. We have a lot of stop and go in LA so my brakes take a beating.

You should do the pads yourself. Why not save money, have fun, and learn about your car. Plus the satisfaction that it's done right.
Old 08-04-18, 10:06 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Front rotor (IS200t/IS300/IS350): 4351622010 (Left) and 4351222260 (right), or IS250 4351230310 (Left), 0446553040 (Right)
Rear rotor(all models): 4243130310..
The front rotors between the front on AWD and RWD are different.
Also, the rear rotors on the 250 are different from the 200t/300/350. Also, so are the pads on the 250 rear.
The part number 04465-53040 you have above is brake pads, not rotors.

IS250 AWD front rotors:
Left and Right: 43512-30310

IS300(2014-2017)/350 AWD front rotors:
Left - 43516-30040
Right - 43512-30350
The following users liked this post:
arentz07 (05-25-22)
Old 08-06-18, 08:38 AM
TarmacSL3
Intermediate

Received 247 Likes on 128 Posts

The Front pads on the 3IS 250 are not interchangeable between F Sport and Non Fsport like it is for the IS350 , the calipers on the IS250 Fsport and different than the ones on the Non-Fsport model, I found this out when I took my car to the dealer and requested to have them changed to Non-Fsport pads. I commented on a thread back in 2014 on this and took pictures of the calipers for both IS250 Fsport and Non-Fsport. I plan to swap to Akebono soon and ordered there pads..one thing I did notice as I also ordered a set of there pads for my 2017 GS350 Fsport is that the pads for the IS250 are much larger than the ones for the GS/IS 350. Although the calipers on these look larger the actual surface area of the pads contact to the rotor is larger on the IS250 Fpsort.

See Post #39
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...on-brakes.html

Last edited by TarmacSL3; 08-06-18 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-06-18, 08:48 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by TarmacSL3
The Front pads on the 3IS 250 are not interchangeable between F Sport and Non Fsport like it is for the IS350 , the calipers on the IS250 Fsport and different than the ones on the Non-Fsport model, I found this out when I took my car to the dealer and requested to have them changed to Non-Fsport pads. I commented on a thread back in 2014 on this and took pictures of the calipers for both IS250 Fsport and Non-Fsport. I plan to swap to Akebono soon and ordered there pads..one thing I did notice as I also ordered a set of there pads for my 2017 GS350 Fsport is that the pads for the IS250 are much larger than the ones for the GS/IS 350. Although the calipers on these look larger the actual surface area of the pads contact to the rotor is larger on the IS250 Fpsort.
Having a 2014 IS250 F Sport myself, the front calipers and calliper bracket are the same between F Sport and Non-F Sport as far as I know. They would also be a carryover from the 2IS IS250 fronts.
The only thing that may vary is the pads...I never looked to see if there is an F Sport and Non F Sport compound.
If you still have the pics I’d love to see them.
Old 08-06-18, 08:50 AM
TarmacSL3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke

Having a 2014 IS250 F Sport myself, the front calipers and calliper bracket are the same between F Sport and Non-F Sport as far as I know. They would also be a carryover from the 2IS IS250 fronts.
The only thing that may vary is the pads...I never looked to see if there is an F Sport and Non F Sport compound.
If you still have the pics I’d love to see them.
I updated my post with link to old thread with pictures

Old 08-06-18, 09:15 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TarmacSL3

See Post #39
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...on-brakes.html
no no no. that's not what i'm saying. of course you can't use a pad designed for one caliper that's a different physical size for another.

what i meant is if you drive an F Sport, you can install the non f sport formula pad. if you drive a standard base model IS, you can install F sport pads. of course within the same hardware. of course you can't fit a triangle in a circular hole.
Old 08-06-18, 10:23 AM
TarmacSL3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by E46CT
no no no. that's not what i'm saying. of course you can't use a pad designed for one caliper that's a different physical size for another.

what i meant is if you drive an F Sport, you can install the non f sport formula pad. if you drive a standard base model IS, you can install F sport pads. of course within the same hardware. of course you can't fit a triangle in a circular hole.
I understand what your are saying,, but what I am saying is that your statement is true for IS350, IS200t, IS300 as the same Front caliper is used for Fsport and Non-Fsport models..but not for true IS250 as the Front caliper is not the same between Fsport and Non-Fsport models so you cant just install non F sport formula pads.
Old 08-06-18, 10:25 AM
350phi
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts

I just want to add this.
to remove rotors from your car, you buy two M8x1.25x30 bolts to screw onto the threaded top hat. This pushes the rotor off the hub.
personally I torque my lug nuts to 76lb-ft just like the FSM says. I use to do 85lb-ft for all my other cars tho.
when it comes to OEM toyota/lexus pads, I usually buy Advics pads and replacement rotors. They're OEM and toyota/lexus rebrands them as their own.

Quick Reply: Lexus 3IS stock brake pad sources, part numbers, and tips!