IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Acceleration problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-18, 10:48 PM
nan88
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Solara350
Exactly whatever you just said, all my 3 Lexus IS got it all, Shifting is weirdo unlike Toyota or German Dual-Clutch, from Camry to RAV4 , Brand new and old car, the shifting is so smooth, i bought a Brand new Rav4 last year 2017, its so smooth shifting.
I had a 7Gen Camry (XV50) before my IS200t. RAV4 shared same engine and transmission.
They had transmission problems where they would fail after 50k.
Toyota never issued a recall but instead extended the warranty.
My Camry start to do the same things as mentioned in first post.
So I did a drain and fill with new Toyota WS transmission fluid and it was butter smooth again.

Personally I drain and fill all transmission fluids of my vehicles after 30k.
I don't believe in lifetime fluid yet.
Will be doing the same for my IS200t once it hits 30k.
Old 07-09-18, 07:32 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by nan88
I had a 7Gen Camry (XV50) before my IS200t. RAV4 shared same engine and transmission.
So I did a drain and fill with new Toyota WS transmission fluid and it was butter smooth again.

If anybody believes any vehicle fluid is lifetime they should probably reevaluate their life decisions. Just my opinion haha.
Old 07-09-18, 09:40 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,656 Posts

Originally Posted by Darqhelmet
Just hit 21,000 miles on my 2015 is250 and its slipping in first gear. Revs jump up to about 1500RPM before it grabs and drops back to 1000RPM and the car rolls forward. IF I drive like a **** the car is fine and engages right away, but with the not so great roads and low speed limits I don't get to run the car hard nor do I really want to drive like that. Is this the "jerking" or are you experiencing hard shifts with no slipping?

Also I HATE that we do not have a dipstick to check the transmission fluid. OR I can't find the damn thing.

can you post a video? that seems extremely unlikely. if your car is slipping as you describe, that's a major major MAJOR defect and requires replacement under warranty. have you taken it to the dealer yet?
Old 07-09-18, 01:46 PM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
If anybody believes any vehicle fluid is lifetime they should probably reevaluate their life decisions. Just my opinion haha.
I think changing the trans fluid should be done, but I never did it on my 2nd Gen 2006 IS350 - original owner with 238,000 miles. Car shifts fine.
Old 07-09-18, 02:48 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,656 Posts

Originally Posted by WhatYaGot
I think changing the trans fluid should be done, but I never did it on my 2nd Gen 2006 IS350 - original owner with 238,000 miles. Car shifts fine.
Fine is subjective. Does this include spirited use redline to redline shifts in hot weather? depends how you use the car. You can also never change your brake fluid and be "fine" but really the safe route is to always change lubricating fluids that are responsible for preserving expensive stuff. If you're at 238k though, don't change the fluid. Cause if the trans fails which it likely might anyway at 238k, you'll just blame the fluid. (which is where a lot of this "don't change the fluid on high mileage trans" myth comes from probably) besides you may as well put the cost of parts+labor for a fluid change into used low mileage trans anyway when the time comes. Around $400-$500. Even if your trans failed today at 238k, i'd say you got your moneys worth. Lots of ways to approach the "is it worth it" question.
Old 07-09-18, 07:14 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

i had 250 and 350 Lexus IS 2nd Gen , maybe you don't care how to car shift but sensitive drivers like me does, like i said it won't break down but the jerking is annoying , if not then you're just lucky bro
Old 07-09-18, 07:18 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by nan88

Ya but if it happens it happens, my friend's Sienna acts the same, the thing is, my 3rd Gen IS350 starting to act normal now with the Transmission shifting, i'm too can't think the myth behind this, some people don't change their Trans fluid until 200k MILES and their car was fine, i agree with you change the fluid for transmission upkeep.
Old 07-09-18, 08:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I am at a little over 50k miles (82k kms).

I had my car since under 30k miles (59k kms)
I put in fuel system cleaner with a tank of gas every once in a while.

But twice this spring or summer I paddled shifted down to merge and it bounced off the rev limiter a lot. Is this another symtom of needing a fluid change?
Old 07-10-18, 05:08 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,908 Likes on 1,974 Posts

Originally Posted by 387
I am at a little over 50k miles (82k kms).

I had my car since under 30k miles (59k kms)
I put in fuel system cleaner with a tank of gas every once in a while.

But twice this spring or summer I paddled shifted down to merge and it bounced off the rev limiter a lot. Is this another symtom of needing a fluid change?
Interesting. I had this happen once and haven't been able to recreate it since. Though, I didn't use the paddles, just initiated a kick down by stomping the gas. Even though I was in "D" drive, it still bounced. It definitely sounds suspect.

Just to be sure, did you have traction control on?
Old 07-10-18, 06:49 AM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
can you post a video? that seems extremely unlikely. if your car is slipping as you describe, that's a major major MAJOR defect and requires replacement under warranty. have you taken it to the dealer yet?
I have not taken to the dealer yet, should be soon. I can try to grab a video next I drive the car. In anything older this would be dead transmission to me, but newer cars tend to do lots of weird dumb stuff. Like removing the dipstick from the transmissions and having dual clutches that tend to have way more slippage then I am comfortable with. First Lexus for me so was not sure if this was in the "normal" range of weirdness.

Last edited by Darqhelmet; 07-10-18 at 06:54 AM.
Old 07-10-18, 06:56 AM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Fine is subjective. Does this include spirited use redline to redline shifts in hot weather? depends how you use the car. You can also never change your brake fluid and be "fine" but really the safe route is to always change lubricating fluids that are responsible for preserving expensive stuff. If you're at 238k though, don't change the fluid. Cause if the trans fails which it likely might anyway at 238k, you'll just blame the fluid. (which is where a lot of this "don't change the fluid on high mileage trans" myth comes from probably) besides you may as well put the cost of parts+labor for a fluid change into used low mileage trans anyway when the time comes. Around $400-$500. Even if your trans failed today at 238k, i'd say you got your moneys worth. Lots of ways to approach the "is it worth it" question.
I drive the car hard a few times during my daily drive (depends on my mood). I live in Miami, so the weather is always hot. I think part of the trans lasting so long is that 90% of my miles are highway. Many WOT to get on the highway and passing people. Once I passed 60K I was going to do a flush, but one thing lead to another and next time I thought about it, I had over 100K and said too late...let's see what happens.
Old 07-10-18, 01:37 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,278 Posts

I drive the car hard a few times during my daily drive (depends on my mood). I live in Miami, so the weather is always hot. I think part of the trans lasting so long is that 90% of my miles are highway. Many WOT to get on the highway and passing people. Once I passed 60K I was going to do a flush, but one thing lead to another and next time I thought about it, I had over 100K and said too late...let's see what happens.

I would not hesitate to change it. The old myth applies to fluid technology from the 60's when fluid would turn yellow, look like varnish and smell like turpentine.
These trannies would die from a fluid swap as the clean high detergent fluid would cleans away varnish at sealing lands causing internal leaks. Then clutches and bands slip and they burn up.
Change the fluid! 100k is nothing. PS 6 years at AAMCO transmissions. 2 as a builder.
Old 07-10-18, 01:47 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

OP the first thing would be to reset the ECM. Easy way is to pull the negative battery cable for 10 min but you'll have to reset the windows and all that jazz.

You could also turn the ignition to run mode but DO NOT start the engine (leave foot off the brake).
With the key on evenly depress the throttle to the floor completely and then let up at the same even controlled rate.
Repeat 3 times.
Turn the key off.

Go drive the vehicle and report back.
Its a Throttle By Wire TBW issue. That simple step above has worked on many makes and models. Give it shot.
Old 07-10-18, 02:09 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

For the record these cars with crazy low gearing can at times feel jerky if you provide the wrong throttle inputs.
Like braking down hill and nearly coming to a stop (it may be hunting for 1st gear) then you let off brake, apply throttle, if the speed is low enough it will bang the tale end of 1st, pop through 2nd and be in 3rd in no time as there is no load. This is about the only time I feel the trans do anything strange but its only because of the conditions. It is completely repeatable hot or cold engine.

What I am curious about is when it is misbehaving, if you were on an open road and stopped, with it in drive, take off at say 1/4 throttle does it bang through all the gears in a acceptable manor?

And what about lighter throttle and heavier throttle?
Have you ever tried rev matching the engine as you manually downshift?
Old 07-10-18, 07:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Interesting. I had this happen once and haven't been able to recreate it since. Though, I didn't use the paddles, just initiated a kick down by stomping the gas. Even though I was in "D" drive, it still bounced. It definitely sounds suspect.

Just to be sure, did you have traction control on?
What year is your car and what is the mileage and where do you live? I believe due to condensation water gets inside the housing over time to some degree.

Traction control was on. It's an AWD so I want the grab. I usually have it in eco but at that time I paddle shifter and had it in sport which I only use when paddle shifting every once in a while when I miss manual and RWD.

Not sure if this is transmission fluid related after seeing that picture of the valvebody.

Quick Reply: Acceleration problems