IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

What brand of fuel are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-18, 11:22 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

I wouldn't mind an "unbranded" quarter tank of ethanol free for an afternoon....but we have NO options where I'm at that I'm aware of. Nothing on that link above either.
Old 07-03-18, 01:19 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Received 117 Likes on 108 Posts

1) SUNOCO "The official fuel of NASCAR" (91 Octane)
2) Mobile (93 Octane)

SUNOCO is surprisingly one of the only stations to carry 91 Octane which is what most of my sports sedan owners manuals recommend. Other stations usually carry 87, 89, 93, 95.

Around here Shell stations usually look pretty rundown compared to most other stations. We also don't have Chevron.

Last edited by TOPENDMS; 07-03-18 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-03-18, 07:28 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Costco is top tier gas.

But is 91 Costco, or 91 BP, as good as 91 Chevron I wonder.
I did somewhat of a "test" back in the day between Chevron and Costco.

Waited till empty and filled full with Chevron or Costco.

Did not feel any difference. Gas mileage more or less the same.

Although I found one annoying thing at my local Costco.. the gas nozzle always clicks out prematurely (known issue as reported by some 3IS owners). But, I didn't have this issue using Chevron AT ALLLL.
The following users liked this post:
HOMER350 (07-07-18)
Old 07-03-18, 09:43 PM
jnesss
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

91 Chevron.
Old 07-04-18, 08:00 AM
mak8504
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sunoco 93 but I usually use whatever 93 is cheapest because I just run a bottle of Redline every 2-3k miles and that does the trick.
Old 07-04-18, 09:07 AM
Stormryu
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
Yup have always used top tier gas. In my case, I ALWAYS use Shell. Almost all of the top tier gas brands use quite a bit of detergent, but other than that there’s no way of telling what exactly would make one premium better than the other. I use Shell because I like the science behind their V Power Nitro+ formula supposedly not only does it reduce deposits, it also protects from wear and corrosion with certain additives in their formula. Once again this is assuming it’s really true, but they provide proof and stuff so it must be at least partly true. Oh also over here in the South we get 93 octane not 91 like on the west coast (lived in San Diego for half my life) which really has almost no added benefit but I would imagine it protects even more from premature fuel detonation.

Same goes for me as far as why I use Shell. Their gas along with their fuel rewards card is a nice thing. Also, linking a Stop n Shop cards helps to get you more money off as you buy more at the grocery store (for those who shop at Stop n Shop). It's not my go to supermarket, but I did realize that they sell somethings that other supermarkets around my area, do not. So it gives me an incentive to shop there if/when I need to get something.
The following users liked this post:
Flash5 (07-04-18)
Old 07-04-18, 09:13 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormryu
Same goes for me as far as why I use Shell. Their gas along with their fuel rewards card is a nice thing. Also, linking a Stop n Shop cards helps to get you more money off as you buy more at the grocery store (for those who shop at Stop n Shop). It's not my go to supermarket, but I did realize that they sell somethings that other supermarkets around my area, do not. So it gives me an incentive to shop there if/when I need to get something.
Oh yeah I forgot to mention the FuelRewards. 5˘ off as long as you’re a gold member (6 fillups every 3 months to keep gold) and pretty often their is an additional 5˘ off when you buy their Premium Nitro+ gas which we all have to do anyways lol. So 10˘ off everytime is nice not to mention if you shop at stores that they are partnered with you get even more off everytime.
Old 07-04-18, 12:33 PM
baemaxx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only put Shell V-Power in my 2018 IS300 fsport since it's ethanol free. It makes the throttle really responsive and very quiet during idle for both sports auto/manual mode. That said, I had a 5 years old chevy with a eco-tec engine previously and only put in 87 from Pioneer since it was the cheapest gas in town; tldr, the engine got so bad that it caused 2 misfires on the highway causing total power loss and made it knock louder than a 2 stroke lawn mower. Stay away from Pioneer, it's not worth it the 10cent discount!
Old 07-04-18, 12:34 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by baemaxx
I only put Shell V-Power in my 2018 IS300 fsport since it's ethanol free. It makes the throttle really responsive and very quiet during idle for both sports auto/manual mode. That said, I had a 5 years old chevy with a eco-tec engine previously and only put in 87 from Pioneer since it was the cheapest gas in town; tldr, the engine got so bad that it caused 2 misfires on the highway causing total power loss and made it knock louder than a 2 stroke lawn mower. Stay away from Pioneer, it's not worth it the 10cent discount!
Ughhhh I wish Shell down here sold ethanol free gas!
Old 07-04-18, 03:01 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

+1 bummer there no ethanol free. I'm gonna call a couple places selling high octane racing fuel (offer 91 as well) to ask but they dont advertise it.

Another consideration when getting gas is turn around rate. i.e. how long has the gas been sitting in the tanks.

While I live in the city and all gas stations do get used frequently...the small Chevron station near me has 0-2 people getting gas at any given time.

Costco near me however has 24 pumps occupied all day long. Those tanks are consistently being refilled and thus guaranteed no stale gas which is as "fresh" as can be. Think I'm making the switch.

Last edited by HOMER350; 07-04-18 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-04-18, 04:48 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

+1 bummer there no ethanol free. I'm gonna call a couple places selling high octane racing fuel (offer 91 as well) to ask but they dont advertise it.

Another consideration when getting gas is turn around rate. i.e. how long has the gas been sitting in the tanks.

While I live in the city and all gas stations do get used frequently...the small Chevron station near me has 0-2 people getting gas at any given time.

Costco near me however has 24 pumps occupied all day long. Those tanks are consistently being refilled and thus guaranteed no stale gas which is as "fresh" as can be. Think I'm making the switch.
That’s a valid point I’m glad the Shell I go to is always busy haha.
Old 07-04-18, 08:25 PM
faisal11ir
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

From what I gathered, gas is essentially the same until the companies, or brands, add detergents to the fuel. Adding "extra" detergent (more than required by law) makes the fuel "top tier" gas.

Based on a study by AAA, using top tier gas results in 19 times fewer intake valve deposits than non top tier gas. As well as other long term cleaner engine benefits.
That is correct, here been using 98 in 3IS and mainly the fuel filter is still clean at 120K.
Old 07-04-18, 08:32 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by faisal11ir
That is correct, here been using 98 in 3IS and mainly the fuel filter is still clean at 120K.
People are going to freak out saying 98!? But you’re on the RON scale right? We are on the AKI scale here in the U.S.
Old 07-05-18, 06:24 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5

People are going to freak out saying 98!? But you’re on the RON scale right? We are on the AKI scale here in the U.S.
Yeah so that'd be 94-ish here. So in theory, a bit higher than needed, but plenty around here use 93 with no issues.
Old 07-05-18, 07:30 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by arentz07
Yeah so that'd be 94-ish here. So in theory, a bit higher than needed, but plenty around here use 93 with no issues.
Yeah 93 is all we pretty much have in the east coast at least in the south anyways.

Quick Reply: What brand of fuel are you using?