IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Radio/Navigation does not start up but reverse camera still works.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-18, 03:23 PM
is250fspor
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

hopefully this helps anyone that may need to replace their own unit or any other reason you may have to get back there
Old 06-08-18, 05:21 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

It looks like the unit is likely the issue.
As this is something that happens to IS's, I wonder if anyone has determined if the issue is software or hardware.
Based on the fixes in the various updates released by Lexus, it would seem to point to a software issue.
It would be nice if you could get the unit to work just once to do the update.
It may or may not fix the issue, but at least you can cross it off the list before looking for another unit.

The micro SD card that is below the unit is the Map Data card...just an FYI.
The following users liked this post:
is250fspor (06-08-18)
Old 06-08-18, 07:25 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by is250fspor
hopefully this helps anyone that may need to replace their own unit or any other reason you may have to get back there
im not good at electrical either your wires looked fine, i assume either Hardware or Software issued !
is250fspor (06-08-18)
Old 06-08-18, 09:49 PM
is250fspor
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
It looks like the unit is likely the issue.
As this is something that happens to IS's, I wonder if anyone has determined if the issue is software or hardware.
Based on the fixes in the various updates released by Lexus, it would seem to point to a software issue.
It would be nice if you could get the unit to work just once to do the update.
It may or may not fix the issue, but at least you can cross it off the list before looking for another unit.

The micro SD card that is below the unit is the Map Data card...just an FYI.
Yes it seems like that is what may be my final option, but before I buy an original unit I'm going to search for aftermarket android units that function with the original harnesses and button operations. I'll do my research first of course. I honestly thought the memory card was corrupted at first, causing the unit to keep rebooting. I also thought that the memory card is what had the software to run the radio and navigation on the screen, because I remember once when I first bought the car i took the memory card out, out of curiosity and if i remember correctly it wasn't allowing me to do anything on the screen, but i can't remember that was so long ago. I've also been trying to see if there is some sort of a pattern for when the unit works and when it doesn't such as weather related, thinking maybe when its a cold and dry or when its hot and humid , possible some sort of thermal sensor or something causing it to trigger, but i never came to a conclusion if in fact it was anything to do with the climate around it.
Old 06-08-18, 09:51 PM
is250fspor
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by Solara350
im not good at electrical either your wires looked fine, i assume either Hardware or Software issued !
Ya man, I guess it was to good to be true for it to be something visible lol. All the faults now a day technologically are invisible, when you're dealing with something that isn't tangible it becomes so much more difficult to diagnose the issue.
Old 09-13-18, 06:10 PM
is250fspor
Driver School Candidate

Quick update guys, I know it has been a while since I've posted something about my radio/nav unit not working. I've been with out radio pretty much the whole summer. The screen just stayed black and never turned on nor did it ever restart or show the logo, nothing!! Oddly enough i guess being a little patient paid off in terms of giving me some hope. When labour day weekend past, and we got our first 2 chili mornings, I turned on my car to go to work and notice something strange my radio actually started working , and it wasn't just for a minute and restart again it pretty much worked the whole way to work, my GPS, radio, everything was functioning normally. I told my self this is finally the opportunity i should take to try and do the firmware update, so I went on the link that Solara350 had posted while back so I could download the file onto a USB stick and install it on my car. Unfortunately when i got to my car and tried to update , my radio was already up to date with that firmware on it, so i searched around a little and found a thread with a newer firmware update, downloaded it and went back to my car to try it out, and low and behold my radio stops working.... what are the chances just my luck, but i kept my hope up and just thought hopefully in the morning it will work again. The following morning I hopped into my car and my radio booted up no problem and once again it worked all the way to work, so since i had some time to spare until i started work, i attempted to stick the USB in and try the update, and voila it picked up the new firmware update, as I attempted to update I ran out of time...... so i did what i shouldn't have done turned off my car right as the update was nearing completion, so once i finished work and got back to my car.... my screen again.. wasn't booting up , so i waited till the next morning woke up a little earlier and attempted the update on the drive to work , which it successfully did and told me to put the car in park and shut it off and back on. I kept the USB stick in the slot followed the instructions and the radio was working fine,at which time I had to go into work and couldn't keep it running to see if it would stay on. Unfortunately once i finished work once again and got back to my car hoping the update did the trick, my radio just wasn't working again, "come on"....!!!!

It's the strangest thing, when the car is crisp and cool in the morning the radio works like nothing has been wrong with it, but once the day gets warmer and I turn on the car the radio just won't start at all. I'm going to try and update again with more time in hand and see what happens hopefully it works, but if it doesn't I now have to seek out the option of buying a new unit. I'm just curious on the forum community what's your opinion do you think it has some sensor that doesn't allow it to turn on due to over heating , maybe the fan doesn't turn on, or possibly a bad connection somewhere. I'm going to attempt a step by step update, such as disconnecting my battery terminals waiting a bit, and then doing the update once again, and just keep the radio running for a while after the update with the USB stick in, hopefully it works.

Hope to hear from our Lexus family
Old 03-26-19, 09:10 AM
0to140in9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates? I am having the same issue.
Old 03-27-19, 06:38 PM
kv1193
Driver School Candidate

Struggling with same issue. Won't even let me update keeps restarting.
Old 02-07-22, 08:53 PM
Jatnieln
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Any update?

I’m having this same problem. Any ideas?
Old 02-08-22, 05:26 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jatnieln
I’m having this same problem. Any ideas?
This is a common issue in the early IS's (2014-15)...ultimately you will end up replacing the radio.
There are several threads that discuss radio issues with the 2014, I'm surprised this is the thread you found in your search result.
Most people experience a blank screen or boot looping.
There is a firmware update that addresses those issues, but it's contingent on the unit functioning so that it can be updated...which sounds like yours is past that point.
Old 04-19-22, 04:16 PM
lesuxball
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by is250fspor
I bought a new unit from a wreck car but not hook it up yet. Do I need re-program it or unlock code for a new radio?. If yes in this case then how do I by pass it or reset it because new radio has no unlock code. Please help any expertise in this area. Thank you.
Old 04-21-22, 06:11 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lesuxball
I bought a new unit from a wreck car but not hook it up yet. Do I need re-program it or unlock code for a new radio?. If yes in this case then how do I by pass it or reset it because new radio has no unlock code. Please help any expertise in this area. Thank you.
It's just plug and play...no code or reprogramming needed.
If it's a navi unit you will need the micro SD card...the one from your radio (if it has navi) will not work.
Old 04-23-22, 03:01 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 376 Likes on 285 Posts

It's just plug and play...no code or reprogramming needed.
If it's a navi unit you will need the micro SD card...the one from your radio (if it has navi) will not work.
You're saying the update mitigates the radio from going bad?
Old 04-23-22, 05:35 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by swaangin
You're saying the update mitigates the radio from going bad?
In theory yes, but if you're trying to install the update when the radio is already exhibiting issues, it's usually too late at that point.
swaangin (04-23-22)
Old 04-23-22, 08:52 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 376 Likes on 285 Posts

In theory yes, but if you're trying to install the update when the radio is already exhibiting issues, it's usually too late at that point.
How do you check if you have the latest firmware and what is the latest atm?

Quick Reply: Radio/Navigation does not start up but reverse camera still works.