IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Increase Air Induction / Snorkel Modifications?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-19, 08:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

If you haven't thought about it, how about an OEM Accessory F Sport filter and intake lid with an HPS intake tube.

I am going with this route because of the passive added noise and it is very unique. I want to keep the sound generator. It reminds me of a ported or bandpass subwoofer enclosure instead of artificially boosted eq.

Most more modern cars add engine noise electronically through the audio system.
Old 02-08-19, 11:24 PM
evltwn
Advanced

Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by 387
If you haven't thought about it, how about an OEM Accessory F Sport filter and intake lid with an HPS intake tube.

I am going with this route because of the passive added noise and it is very unique. I want to keep the sound generator. It reminds me of a ported or bandpass subwoofer enclosure instead of artificially boosted eq.

Most more modern cars add engine noise electronically through the audio system.
This is the set up I have as mentioned in an earlier post. I now have the FSport air box top. I ended up buying the whole setup though from a FB 3IS page, just to get the top. So I do have the chrome FSport intake pipe and an extra FSport filter just sitting in a box until I decide to sell them.
Old 02-09-19, 07:09 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by evltwn
This is the set up I have as mentioned in an earlier post. I now have the FSport air box top. I ended up buying the whole setup though from a FB 3IS page, just to get the top. So I do have the chrome FSport intake pipe and an extra FSport filter just sitting in a box until I decide to sell them.
That's an expensive top! Cheapest I've seen on its own is ~$100.
Old 02-09-19, 09:55 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

You want what you want!
You replaced the whole box though right? Or just the top. Cause the box does have a cutout on the front.

​​​​My interests lie with the intake pipe and filter.
Old 02-09-19, 10:56 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMER350
You want what you want!
You replaced the whole box though right? Or just the top. Cause the box does have a cutout on the front.

It only comes with the top piece. The 2IS version replaced the bottom and had an extra hole in the front.
Old 02-09-19, 06:32 PM
evltwn
Advanced

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
That's an expensive top! Cheapest I've seen on its own is ~$100.
You want what you want!

For the 3IS Lexus only sold the top with the pipe. I did cut out the extra hole in the front of the lower air box right behind the headlight though. That's how it used to come on the 2IS I believe. I do have an extra FSport filter, filter cleaner, and the chrome pipe, that I need to sell to recoup some of the cost.
Old 02-09-19, 07:47 PM
HOMER350
Racer

For the 3IS Lexus only sold the top with the pipe. I did cut out the extra hole in the front of the lower air box right behind the headlight though. That's how it used to come on the 2IS I believe. I do have an extra FSport filter, filter cleaner, and the chrome pipe, that I need to sell to recoup some of the cost.
Ah nice, just used a power saw to cut that hole? Would be curious to see that.

I'm on super limited budget but PM me if you would like maybe I can help you recoup that cost. I'd love to get that intake pipe. Filter possibly but I have K&N already.
Old 02-10-19, 05:21 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

For the 3IS Lexus only sold the top with the pipe. I did cut out the extra hole in the front of the lower air box right behind the headlight though. That's how it used to come on the 2IS I believe.
Ah nice, just used a power saw to cut that hole? Would be curious to see that.
On my 2IS, I've used both a modified OEM lower intake box (hole cut up front) and the official F-Sport lower intake air box. Below is a side-by-side comparison to give you an idea of the design differences which may help with your future modification if you decide to go that route on your 3IS. I believe I used a power drill with drill bits when I made that hole years ago.

Old 02-19-19, 05:16 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Installed F-Sport intake pipe and replaced my K&N for FS filter (thanks @ evltwn). Removed the carbon filter as well.

Also, created the cutout in the air box, mimicking the 2IS F-Sport lower portion of the air box.

And.....IT BREATHES. I could hear it before I got out of the parking lot. Big increase in sound especially +4k rpms.
That loud engine just got louder but it sounds better, happier. I didnt make the cutout too big as I didnt want to drown out or loose too much cold air and I knew this would be sufficient. I used the existing structure as kind of a guide to cut in between if you can see in the pics. I did cut lower than intended though, be careful not to crack the housing this plastic is still soft though.
Bigger hole in theory would be louder.

When I started this thread I was really interested to see if anyone has modified the snorkel, or added another one. In other words, if anyone had increased cold air input into the existing box.
Under the box there is a hole which leaves potential to do so. I dont feel the need to do this myself after researching intakes and reading before/after results on this car. But it's there, you could use some tubing or something to channel more air. I would not plug that hole entirely if you're interested though as it's there to drain water which may drain out of your air box.

Inside that hole...

The following users liked this post:
evltwn (02-20-19)
Old 02-19-19, 06:51 PM
truu
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
Lightbulb

Very interesting. Might do this myself but with a smaller hole so an edge is present to add a u-channel to hide the cuts.

Installed F-Sport intake pipe and replaced my K&N for FS filter (thanks @ evltwn). Removed the carbon filter as well.

Also, created the cutout in the air box, mimicking the 2IS F-Sport lower portion of the air box.

And.....IT BREATHES. I could hear it before I got out of the parking lot. Big increase in sound especially +4k rpms.
That loud engine just got louder but it sounds better, happier. I didnt make the cutout too big as I didnt want to drown out or loose too much cold air and I knew this would be sufficient. I used the existing structure as kind of a guide to cut in between if you can see in the pics. I did cut lower than intended though, be careful not to crack the housing this plastic is still soft though.
Bigger hole in theory would be louder.

When I started this thread I was really interested to see if anyone has modified the snorkel, or added another one. In other words, if anyone had increased cold air input into the existing box.
Under the box there is a hole which leaves potential to do so. I dont feel the need to do this myself after researching intakes and reading before/after results on this car. But it's there, you could use some tubing or something to channel more air. I would not plug that hole entirely if you're interested though as it's there to drain water which may drain out of your air box.

Inside that hole...
Old 02-20-19, 01:12 AM
evltwn
Advanced

Looks good. I'm glad everything worked out well. I haven't taken out the charcoal filter yet. But I think I might now after seeing that video from "Engineering Explained".
Old 02-20-19, 01:08 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Received 117 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
It only comes with the top piece. The 2IS version replaced the bottom and had an extra hole in the front.
Right the 2IS had the modified lower box, not the 3IS.

It's confusing bc Lexus shows it under the 2014 model with the 2IS description. Try selecting 2015.
Old 02-20-19, 02:21 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Looks good. I'm glad everything worked out well. I haven't taken out the charcoal filter yet. But I think I might now after seeing that video from "Engineering Explained".
Thanks again. And in AZ where your at I think theyre pretty laxed on emissions. I'm nurvous a bit about CA as I think it's required. Worse case I'll rubber cement it in there for the check.
Old 02-20-19, 09:16 PM
evltwn
Advanced

Thanks again. And in AZ where your at I think theyre pretty laxed on emissions. I'm nurvous a bit about CA as I think it's required. Worse case I'll rubber cement it in there for the check.
I think you'll be okay. They should just plug into the cars OBD port to check emissions.
Old 02-21-19, 12:16 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 784 Likes on 401 Posts

Yeah that's what I meant by "intake tube".
My bad, must have skipped over that somehow. But yes, it helps reduce turbulence.

Quick Reply: Increase Air Induction / Snorkel Modifications?