IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Best no drill front license plate ^_^

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-17, 05:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Ugh....

Any spot other than the OEM location looks awful and looks like you are trying too hard.

If you mount it below the OEM location, you are restricting airflow to the radiator and your car will run hot in warmer temperatures, not to mention you are trying too hard. (Sorry....)

If you are mount it on the tow hook, it is a hazard to pedestrians. If some walked into your offset mounted licence plate on the street or in a parking lot, they could get injured and in the later situation get pissed and run a key down the side of your car. Not to mention, it looks like you are trying to hard. (Sorry....)

The OEM location is safest in the event you hit a pedestrian. Modern cars are designed to minimize injury pedestrians in the event of an accident. With then offset tow hook location, they could get unnecessary cuts to their legs.

The best thing IMO is leave it as it in the OEM specified location. If you think it ruins the front of the car, there are smoked licence plate covers that make the plate less noticeable. They could be technically illegal in most states and provinces, but I am in Ontario and run one up front and have never had a problem.

If you are fortunate to live in a state or province that does not require a front plate obviously you are lucky and this post is useless.

If you don't want to drill holes and have the option of taking the front plate off occasionally, "specone" has a post or video somewhere on a DIY, legal no drill magnet setup without drilling.
Old 12-19-17, 06:42 PM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 387
Ugh....
Any spot other than the OEM location looks awful and looks like you are trying too hard.
If you mount it below the OEM location, you are restricting airflow to the radiator and your car will run hot in warmer temperatures, not to mention you are trying too hard. (Sorry....)
If you are mount it on the tow hook, it is a hazard to pedestrians. If some walked into your offset mounted licence plate on the street or in a parking lot, they could get injured and in the later situation get pissed and run a key down the side of your car. Not to mention, it looks like you are trying to hard. (Sorry....)
The OEM location is safest in the event you hit a pedestrian. Modern cars are designed to minimize injury pedestrians in the event of an accident. With then offset tow hook location, they could get unnecessary cuts to their legs.
If you don't want to drill holes and have the option of taking the front plate off occasionally, "specone" has a post or video somewhere on a DIY, legal no drill magnet setup without drilling.
What does "trying too hard" even mean in this sense?
You assume the amount of airflow is restricted enough to effect performance, but there's a reason there are fans installed behind radiators... lack of airflow and so they make some. (also had no problems, with heat even with my 7200rpm RR racing tune where i go WOT all the time)
My car didn't come with holes, and i don't plan on drilling holes to accommodate such holes.
BMW owners have had the tow hook license plates holders since forever and i have not heard one thing about pedestrians getting injured, and i'm pretty sure cutting their leg is the least of the worries if you're hitting them with a car.

So, I guess i look like i'm "trying too hard" (again what does that even mean) then my front lip, and side skirts are probably not to you're liking as well...
Good thing its my car, and not yours.
also, hello fellow Canadian/ Ontarian... if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all...

Last edited by ClubLUser; 12-19-17 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12-20-17, 09:00 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by 387
Ugh....

The best thing IMO is leave it as it in the OEM specified location. If you think it ruins the front of the car, there are smoked licence plate covers that make the plate less noticeable. They could be technically illegal in most states and provinces, but I am in Ontario and run one up front and have never had a problem.

If you are fortunate to live in a state or province that does not require a front plate obviously you are lucky and this post is useless.

Offset plate mounting are the worse, it's a pet peeve of mine. Someone doesn't want to drill holes on the bumper but instead I'll just mount it on tow hook that sticks out and look out of place like a sore thumb, that looks much better ~S.
Old 12-20-17, 12:14 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
I know but isn't this thread the point of NOT having drill holes? How long does it take to take on/off the regular license plate? Probably even faster than using custom mount.
You're the one who made the statement saying "Dealer will drill holes in bumper in California prior to delivery no exception. It's required by law."
Doesn't matter what the thread is about, I'm pointing out what you mentioned was incorrect. People have the option to opt out of having dealer drill the holes.
Old 12-21-17, 11:35 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 249 Posts

Dealer will drill holes in bumper in California prior to delivery no exception. It's required by law.
I live in California and opt out to have license plate bracket drilled in place before delivery also.

Instead I did this.
I can remove and install my plate in less than 5 seconds

The following users liked this post:
momak (03-27-20)
Old 12-22-17, 10:13 AM
fflores
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

front plates are required here in IL too, I have lived here all my life, I have not had a front plate on my last 5 cars. I have been stopped by the police 2 times in 10 years. I love the way the F sport grill looks with out it having a plate mounted to it.
Old 05-04-18, 08:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ClubLUser
What does "trying too hard" even mean in this sense?
You assume the amount of airflow is restricted enough to effect performance, but there's a reason there are fans installed behind radiators... lack of airflow and so they make some. (also had no problems, with heat even with my 7200rpm RR racing tune where i go WOT all the time)
My car didn't come with holes, and i don't plan on drilling holes to accommodate such holes.
BMW owners have had the tow hook license plates holders since forever and i have not heard one thing about pedestrians getting injured, and i'm pretty sure cutting their leg is the least of the worries if you're hitting them with a car.

So, I guess i look like i'm "trying too hard" (again what does that even mean) then my front lip, and side skirts are probably not to you're liking as well...
Good thing its my car, and not yours.
also, hello fellow Canadian/ Ontarian... if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all...
Sorry for the late response.

Factory mount with a smoked plate cover from canadian tire is best IMO.

Zip-tied plates look cheap.

I am sure there is a reason why Lexus as well as pretty much other car manufacturer mounts the front plate in the middle of the grille on front of the bumper beam, instead of down lower restricting cooling to the radiator or a/c condenser or whatever

Look on other car forums and see if mounting the front plate other that the factory location affects cooling temperatures . There have been reports of licence plates plates mounted in their non oem or factory locations affecting engine operation temperatures in track conditions. Or simply when you are beating on the car.

On a Honda S2000, it does. I can't see why it would not on an 3IS if it is mounted in the same spot like you do.

Aside front keeping the car within proper operating temperatures, it keeps one's front end intact in daily driving and parallel parking in situations. If you have a front mounted plate in the oem location, you will notice that the OEM plate mount extends out enough that it will protect the grille shroud when it comes to the aforementioned parallel parking situations, where it will act as a bumper or buffer to prevent damage to the car. Not to mention the A/C condenser is up there too and summer is coming up.

If your car did not come with a oem plate bracket and you are a fellow Ontarian. I'm sorry to hear you have a car from Quebec.......
Old 05-04-18, 10:36 PM
blazers7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealer will drill holes in bumper in California prior to delivery no exception. It's required by law.
Mine didn't. I see a bunch of cars sold by the same dealer without the pre-drilled holes.
Old 05-06-18, 07:25 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

In Canada Ontario you may choose to install front plate yourself ya its the Law but law or not nobody here gives a damn, we only worry about Cops, as long as you have a front plate they don't care where you mount as long as it in the front Visible to Cops.
Old 05-09-18, 04:16 AM
and3re
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 387
Ugh....

I'm sorry but i am just assuming that you are over 60 thinking it ' is trying too hard '. The plate in the middle of that grill just looks ridiculous & it hides the beauty of the design that was made for that car grill.

IMO you are ' trying too hard ' to push your own unpopular opinion on someone else. Tow hook license plates ( the short ones & not the long dumb ones) can look great on certain cars ( trucks. mini vans, and buses not included in my statement).
Old 05-09-18, 07:05 PM
jnesss
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

love my grimmspeed plate relocate. if i could go plateless, i would.

if somebody gets too close to my car and touches my plate, then they're too close.
Old 05-11-18, 09:32 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Did anybody ever buy this and install? I’m going to Germany soon and DEFINITELY don’t want to drill into my grill.
Old 02-09-20, 12:06 PM
nursshar1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

see video from manufacturer above the pictures