IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Navigation Question - Volumn over Music

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-17, 07:25 PM
fflores
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Navigation Question - Volumn over Music

Quick question for those that have had the car for a bit longer than I have had. I purchased a 2014 IS350 F Sport just over 3 weeks ago and I am loving the car, however I have found some things that I'm are different than my previous car in the manner that they work. These differences are understandable as different cars have different features but i'm just trying to figure out if I can get something close to the same effect.

In my previous Acura once when you set the navigation to a destination, you would start on your route and when you got to different points along the route, it would lower the volume of the radio while providing you instructions. This feature was something that you could turn off easily. In the Lexus, the navigation makes a "bing" sound and provides the instructions but does not lower the radio.

I have set the voice setting to the highest setting, which is 7 in the navigation settings. Is there any setting that i'm missing? Any help would be appreciated. its not a big deal, I can just slide the tach over and have navigation info pop up that way which is probably just as effective.

Thanks!
Old 12-01-17, 08:09 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by fflores
Quick question for those that have had the car for a bit longer than I have had. I purchased a 2014 IS350 F Sport just over 3 weeks ago and I am loving the car, however I have found some things that I'm are different than my previous car in the manner that they work. These differences are understandable as different cars have different features but i'm just trying to figure out if I can get something close to the same effect.

In my previous Acura once when you set the navigation to a destination, you would start on your route and when you got to different points along the route, it would lower the volume of the radio while providing you instructions. This feature was something that you could turn off easily. In the Lexus, the navigation makes a "bing" sound and provides the instructions but does not lower the radio.

I have set the voice setting to the highest setting, which is 7 in the navigation settings. Is there any setting that i'm missing? Any help would be appreciated. its not a big deal, I can just slide the tach over and have navigation info pop up that way which is probably just as effective.

Thanks!
The only thing you can do is turn the radio volume down to hear navigation. It doesn't automatically lower the radio volume.
The following users liked this post:
fflores (12-01-17)
Old 12-01-17, 08:18 PM
fflores
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did find out that if you hold the "mode" button on the steering wheel, it will "mute/pause" music if you happen to hear the "bing" in time, but it isn't the best method either.
Old 09-03-19, 04:30 PM
Alexoutwes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use google maps via blue tooth, works great, voice instructions are clear over the car radio. . Nav system voice is not clear or loud enough.
Old 09-03-19, 06:29 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Normally I play music through my phone over Bluetooth, and it doesn't seem to lower the volume. I discovered the turn-by-turn pop-ups in the gauge cluster actually only a few months back and have been using them pretty often just in case I miss the voice directions like you. The best workaround is obviously to just have the music at a moderate volume while navigating.
Old 09-03-19, 09:42 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

I just find the inconsistencies in volumes annoying, especially when switching between radio and media sources. Sometimes 25-35 is plenty loud, then other times to get the same volume for the same music I have to put it well over 40. That is regardless of whether the car is moving or not, i.e. speed sensitivity.
Old 09-04-19, 07:44 AM
Tlam94
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

never had this issue since i dont play my music loud enough. the non-ML audio isnt the most mind blowing