IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Reduced Engine Power?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-17, 03:48 PM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts

Yes. To get warning light off. The code says octane not high enough. I use premium only. I saving my receipts from now on to show them. I think I got a lemon. We will see if it does it a 3rd time...
Old 12-04-17, 03:49 PM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Yes. To get warning light off. The code says octane not high enough. I use premium only. I saving my receipts from now on to show them. I think I got a lemon. We will see if it does it a 3rd time...
Old 12-04-17, 03:51 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 223 Posts

What code did it throw? There's probably half a dozen code for low octane or something related to it. It could be a sensor malfunction, a bad cat, an incomplete burn, a misfire, etc.

Last edited by MX73; 12-04-17 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-04-17, 03:53 PM
MX73
Racer

Originally Posted by GaryJG
A receipt shows proof that you PAID for high octane. It doesn't guarantee that you're pumping high octane gas from the storage tank. It could be diluted with water or maybe someone filled the storage tank with the incorrect fuel grade.
Old 12-04-17, 04:25 PM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MX73
What code did it throw? There's probably half a dozen code for low octane or something related to it. It could be a sensor malfunction, a bad cat, an incomplete burn, a misfire, etc.
Old 12-04-17, 04:29 PM
MX73
Racer

P137800 is not a low octane code. It clearly states that the air/fuel mixture is igniting too early in the stroke. Yes, you could be putting premium but you don't know if it's a bad batch. It doesn't matter if you have gone to the same station for the past 5 yrs. There's a chance that it could be a bad batch of premium fuel. Go to a different station for the next month and see if it comes back.
Old 12-04-17, 05:03 PM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

I have. It first did it at 3700 miles. I switched stations and it came back at 4700 miles, 6 weeks later...

oh well, let's hope that is it. I still got a little over 2 years left on the lease for this damn car.
Old 12-04-17, 05:11 PM
MX73
Racer

It's still under warranty. So instead of having them clear the code like you want them to, take it back and don't get it back until they figure it out. They'll probably flush the tank, replace the knock sensor, put some good premium fuel and have you use a different station going forward.
Old 01-09-18, 08:55 AM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MX73
It's still under warranty. So instead of having them clear the code like you want them to, take it back and don't get it back until they figure it out. They'll probably flush the tank, replace the knock sensor, put some good premium fuel and have you use a different station going forward.
yeah. It's probably a lemon...
Old 01-09-18, 10:20 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

yeah. It's probably a lemon...
i don't think that's what he was implying at all.
Old 06-15-18, 03:03 PM
jcamvillar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife just got this alert on her NX200T. She said it drove fine for the next 5 miles or so home. No loss of performance.
Old 06-15-18, 08:26 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

What Does the ‘Reduced Engine Power’ Warning Light Mean?

Modern vehicles which use this feature are pre-programmed to limit the performance of the vehicle to prevent further damage. When specific faults are detected electronically, the engine control module begins the process of limiting vehicle speed, gear range, and engine power. This can be caused by engine trouble, transmission faults, or even a bad battery.

Driving with the reduced power light or message displayed is possible, but this feature is called ‘Limp Home’, which is as much as the vehicle should be driven (within reason). There is not much risk of driving in this mode, since the vehicle will not be a pleasure to drive, acceleration will be poor, gas mileage excessive on some vehicles, and shifting gears is jerky at best.

In addition, some vehicles may disable the radio, or other non-essential accessory components. The short answer, it is best to tow the vehicle if it must travel further than a few miles. In general, it is not a good idea to operate a vehicle in limp mode, due to the overwhelming possibility of becoming stranded.

I've done a lot of research , this Reduced Engine power and Radio cut off happened on 3rd gen Lexus lately, the Transmission and shifting on Lexus had problems with 2nd and 3rd Gen Lexus IS/ GS so far. Dealer won't tell you the true but ill tell you what, when ECU set a drivetrain to limb mode is always something wrong with the Transmission electrical , my old Acura TL was samething , they reduces power and limits the speed to keep Engine/Trans from breaking down. You can do your own research and you'll see.
The following users liked this post:
jcamvillar (06-16-18)
Old 06-16-18, 01:19 PM
jcamvillar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took it to the local repair shop, they hooked up the diagnostic tool and no codes came up. All checked out fine. Additionally, when I started it to drive it down there, not only was the message gone, but under messages it said “no messages”. It drives fine. Tech said it could’ve been a sensor throwing a false reading, he said they’ve seen the blind spot warning sensors act screwy. Two year old Lexus, nearly impossible to believe there’s a tranny issue.

Last edited by jcamvillar; 06-16-18 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Add a sentence.
Old 06-17-18, 06:54 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by jcamvillar
I took it to the local repair shop, they hooked up the diagnostic tool and no codes came up. All checked out fine. Additionally, when I started it to drive it down there, not only was the message gone, but under messages it said “no messages”. It drives fine. Tech said it could’ve been a sensor throwing a false reading, he said they’ve seen the blind spot warning sensors act screwy. Two year old Lexus, nearly impossible to believe there’s a tranny issue.
I don't believe its the tranny either, but the research said possible Tranny, Electrical or Alternator/Battery, this happens a lot on 200T RWD 350 8 speed Tranny
The following users liked this post:
jcamvillar (07-08-18)
Old 06-18-18, 12:22 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Yes. Always do. Just won't use 76 gas I guess. I really doubt that even a lesser octane would of caused that message, but that what Lexus said caused it...
On knocking, per owners manual,

Lexus says 91 octane is required for optimum performance, but in instances, 87 may be used but cautions 87 may result in knocking and reduced performance. Lexus says occasional light knocking for a short time is ok during acceleration or going uphill and that this is normal and there's no need for concern. IIRC, in the US, cars should have the ability to run on 87 octane. So I dunno. I know this thread is old but I wonder if these people were accelerating hard for that message to come up. If that message came up during a low load scenario, I'd suspect a faulty knock sensor or something. or maybe some improperly gapped plugs

Quick Reply: Reduced Engine Power?