IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Been looking for a IS350. Found a 2016 IS350 F-Sport. Wanted feedback

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-17, 06:38 AM
sarun6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Been looking for a IS350. Found a 2016 IS350 F-Sport. Wanted feedback

I have been looking around for a 2015-2016 IS350 F-Sport 3. Finally found the color combination I wanted. 2016 IS350 F-Sport 2. It's not the F-Sport 3 so I don't get the ML audio and Active Cruise Control and Dynamic Cruise Control. It seems tough to find them with the F-Sport 3 in Canada so I am thinking of going with this. Wanted to get this sub's feedback about this deal and also if its worth it to hold out for the F-Sport 3 instead of the F-Sport 2? How useful are those other features in the F-Sport 3?

https://imgur.com/a/H7P7h
Old 09-19-17, 07:12 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I've never used cruise control in any car I own so can't help you there but the ML audio is a lot better than the stock radio. However I don't know if sound is important to you. An alternative would be to replace the stock system with aftermarket to get it to ML levels.
Old 09-19-17, 08:02 AM
Panzer126
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Honestly if I were you I'd hold out until a fsport 3 shows up. The ML audio is much better than the stock, total night and day difference. The cruise control stuff is awesome, trust me I never use that stuff before but I find myself using it more and more. Also the rear sunshade on the fsport 3, I have it up always so the car behind can't see as easily into my car and I like that very much.

Hold out for a fsport 3, unless the price is too good to pass up. I know that if I gotten one of the other fsport packages I'd be disappointed slightly. Mine was a lease return in late october of last year. Good luck!
Old 09-19-17, 08:22 AM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I struggled with the same conundrum when I was shopping for a non F-Sport IS350 (I prefer to zig when others zag) this past spring, and went with a Series 2 luxury package, because when you've found the right car in terms of the colour combo as I did, it's better to take action than to feel regret. Besides, life is short, and if you've worked hard for a long time and it's within your means, you should treat yourself to a nice car at least once in your life, and the Series 2 F-Sport is nice enough.

In my mind, the ML, radar cruise control and pre-collision system, while nice to have, are just bragging rights items, and doesn't make a Series 2 any less appealing.
Old 09-19-17, 08:40 AM
Jay89
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I have a 17 fsport 3. I love using the dynamic cruise control. I do a lot of highway trips so it's incredibly convenient to have. The ML is definitely something I know I wanted. My Subaru has an upgraded sound system, and my BMW had the Harmon kardon system from the factory. The difference between the standard system and the ML is huge if you care about that kind of thing. I'd wait for the 3 if I were you.
Old 09-19-17, 12:36 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

I say pull the trigger and get the Series 2.
The extra stuff is nice on the Series 3, but the 2 is still well equipped.
I'm not an audiophile, so the standard audio system sounds fine to me. Likely if I had the ML system I probably wouldn't notice the difference. (insert audiophiles shaking their heads at me here)
If the color combo is what you want, and the price is right, I'd be hard pressed to pass. You can always upgrade audio, but the interior and exterior colors are not so easily changed without spending the big bucks.
Living near the big city, the cruise is completely useless to me with the horrific traffic patterns I have. I'd trade the cruise for a set of wings any day!!
Old 09-19-17, 01:06 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

I have a '16 is350 fsport 3. The PCS is very helpful, save me a few times. I don't really use the DRCC, bit it's a nice added feature.

ML system does sound very nice compare to stock, more clarity in music; that is if you care for that stuff.
Old 09-20-17, 07:45 PM
leg3ndary
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

How do I know if it's an f-sport 2 vs f-sport 3. I have the ML but is that the only indicator?
Old 09-20-17, 07:49 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by leg3ndary
How do I know if it's an f-sport 2 vs f-sport 3. I have the ML but is that the only indicator?
I believethe fsport 3 includes PCS and DRCC. If you look on your steering wheel, there should be an extra button on the bottom right side.

Looks like a car with 3 wavy lines.
Old 09-20-17, 08:58 PM
2Marvelous
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought I didn't need the ML sound but am very glad I got it. It raised the bar of expectations when it comes to sound. To me this validates the claim of this being a luxury car.

I never had DRCC before but with all the freeway driving I do I knew I wanted it.

I never experienced a car with PCS before but I think it will be a requirement for any of my future car purchases after a few close calls

Rear sunshade kind of a waste for me since I tinted my windows.

So my vote... hold out for the 3. My justification is that you will spend more time in the car experiencing and using it than looking at it. On this same note Interior color is probably more important than exterior. If you can relax the exterior colour requirement, you might have a better chance of finding the F-Sport 3 package.
Old 09-20-17, 09:05 PM
fivesevenn
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

ML system is better sounds/quality, but they burn out withing couple years, i already replaced more than 10 already, just a heads up.
id prefer the FSport2, i dont need all the fancy stuff, rear sunshade ect.