IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Help! 2017 IS Swipe

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-17, 08:52 PM
TinoPing
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Help! 2017 IS Swipe

Hi Senior Members I need your help guys! Your feedback please.

I ran ran into a concrete pillar and the pillar won! Jokes aside I was reversing and did a full swipe. Here are the pics and looks quite serious. To make matters worse, I have a crazy high $1,000 deductible.

1) What do you think my cost to fix will be based on pics attached? This is way beyond a simple dent and you can see its deep enough to reach the inner vertical bolsters. Another damage not seen in the pic is the side mirror, it was flip backwards so far back, now it refuses to 'click back' in normal position.

2) Shall I fix it on my own or call insurance? Will this impact my insurance premiums and roughly how much of a % increase shall I expect? I have zero priors.

Thank you guys for any input will be highly appreciated. This is a brand new 2017 IS350 and very heartbreaking. Been spotless till today
Old 09-03-17, 10:01 PM
Lveyolfe
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Haha come on you hit a non moving object?! I can only imagine the sound.. I would see how much a door + paint costs vs going through insurance
Old 09-03-17, 10:12 PM
TinoPing
Driver

Yeah lame on my part. I'm gonna have nightmares for a while on this. Any clue what the repair cost or range to fix might be?
Old 09-03-17, 11:28 PM
IS200TFOWL
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

whatever you do dont report it to the insurance company. They'll mark the title with an accident, bad for resell
The following users liked this post:
TinoPing (09-04-17)
Old 09-04-17, 04:09 AM
Lveyolfe
Lead Lap

The cheapest door I could find was about $600, but that was the drivers side. With yours being a 2017 I think it might be harder to find one, if you had a 2014+ it'd be easy and cheaper.
With that said if you found a door for $600ish, I'd assume paint would be about $200-$300. Plus install your over a grand easy. In my opinion I'd report it and pay the $1000. It'll be on the record of the car but who cares? Is it really gonna scare someone off knowing a door was replaced from you side swiping a concrete pillar? If it was in a accident then yeah I can see that, but it's still a clean title
Old 09-04-17, 04:11 AM
Lveyolfe
Lead Lap

And I was referring to when it came time to sell or trade the car; (about scaring someone away)
Old 09-04-17, 05:43 AM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

I'd check the wreckers or www.car-part.com and see if you can find a door in white and just have a mechanic install it for you.
Old 09-04-17, 09:37 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by brendanf
I'd check the wreckers or www.car-part.com and see if you can find a door in white and just have a mechanic install it for you.
That was going to be my suggestion. Find a white used door. At least it would be factory paint.
Even if the panel is different, or the glass is missing you can transfer it over.
You might get lucky and get a mirror with it too.
Replacing a door skin looks like butt even with the best bodyman doing it.
Old 09-04-17, 11:39 AM
IS200TFOWL
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Lveyolfe
The cheapest door I could find was about $600, but that was the drivers side. With yours being a 2017 I think it might be harder to find one, if you had a 2014+ it'd be easy and cheaper.
With that said if you found a door for $600ish, I'd assume paint would be about $200-$300. Plus install your over a grand easy. In my opinion I'd report it and pay the $1000. It'll be on the record of the car but who cares? Is it really gonna scare someone off knowing a door was replaced from you side swiping a concrete pillar? If it was in a accident then yeah I can see that, but it's still a clean title
Don't report it to insurance just bite the bullet and deal with it until you can have it fixed out of pocket. The 2017 front passenger door should be the same as a 14' base model and if not just make it work. Take the trim out of our pre existing door and swap the esthetics. Coming from automotive sale manager, an accident will seriously effect your residual. You'll always be offered 2-3k less if it shows an accident on your report. I see dozens of people thatll walk when they hear the words "Accident reported" and others that jump on it and buy because they're looking for a nice car for a cheap price. E
Old 09-04-17, 06:50 PM
nvbirdman
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're worried about resale, take some pictures and keep them in the glove compartment.
Old 09-04-17, 07:02 PM
TinoPing
Driver

I was clueless how to go about this. You guys are The Best.
Old 09-04-17, 09:58 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Found a 2015 is350 door on ebay for you in white, which might work... you'd just have to confirm the fitment of the 2015 model with the 2017 if it'd fit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Passen...JZeghJ&vxp=mtr

if the 2015 fits, call and ask them for pictures of the door and see if it comes with the mirror too, then see if they'll work on the price for you.
Old 09-04-17, 10:31 PM
Lexus3GIST
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Lveyolfe
Do not report it for something this small.
It's not worth paying $1000 now, increased insurance rates, and losing about $1500 to $2000 on trade in or dealer resale value. I'll look and post later but I'm almost sure you can find a door for $1000 or under. If you do want to throw the towel in and have the door repaired + reported to insurance, take a picture of the door with you standing next to it (as proof it's your car thats damaged) or with a piece of paper w/vin written on it in the picture frame. When you sell the car privately -- if you're ever asked about the reported damage on a carfax report you have proof that it was a very minor mistake and you reversed into a pole.

Links to doors for sale:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Passenger-Front-Door-W-Hinges-Fits-2016-Lexus-IS200T-/352126291059?hash=item51fc5ccc73:g:vuoAAOSwqfJZeghJ&vxp=mtr
** This one is from a car that looks like it was T-Boned. Right front passenger is intact and is going for $800 OBO. Make a lowball offer for $300 and see if he takes it. if not bump to $400 regardless of what his counter offer is.

https://parts.iralexusofmanchester.com/p/Lexus_2016_IS200t/Door-Shell/68878053/6700153130.html?partner=googlebase_adwords&kwd=&origin=pla
**Link to official lexus dealer website in manchester...it'd be a longshot but if they do international shipping i'd do it. Goes for $544 without shipping.

I found links to other colored doors but they're silver & black. You probably don't want to spend an extra 2000+ on a full paint job when you need it for just one door. If you just paint the door, it will definitely look off.

Last edited by Lexus3GIST; 09-04-17 at 10:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TinoPing (09-06-17)
Old 09-04-17, 10:46 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus3GIST
Do not report it for something this small.
It's not worth paying $1000 now, increased insurance rates, and losing about $1500 to $2000 on trade in or dealer resale value. I'll look and post later but I'm almost sure you can find a door for $1000 or under. If you do want to throw the towel in and have the door repaired + reported to insurance, take a picture of the door with you standing next to it (as proof it's your car thats damaged) or with a piece of paper w/vin written on it in the picture frame. When you sell the car privately -- if you're ever asked about the reported damage on a carfax report you have proof that it was a very minor mistake and you reversed into a pole.

Links to doors for sale:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Passenger-Front-Door-W-Hinges-Fits-2016-Lexus-IS200T-/352126291059?hash=item51fc5ccc73:g:vuoAAOSwqfJZeghJ&vxp=mtr
** This one is from a car that looks like it was T-Boned. Right front passenger is intact and is going for $800 OBO. Make a lowball offer for $300 and see if he takes it. if not bump to $400 regardless of what his counter offer is.

https://parts.iralexusofmanchester.com/p/Lexus_2016_IS200t/Door-Shell/68878053/6700153130.html?partner=googlebase_adwords&kwd=&origin=pla
**Link to official lexus dealer website in manchester...it'd be a longshot but if they do international shipping i'd do it. Goes for $544 without shipping.

I found links to other colored doors but they're silver & black. You probably don't want to spend an extra 2000+ on a full paint job when you need it for just one door. If you just paint the door, it will definitely look off.
I literally just posted a link on here to the same door like... 15 min ago.
Old 09-04-17, 10:47 PM
Lexus3GIST
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by premier3IS
I literally just posted a link on here to the same door like... 15 min ago.
LOL my bad. I didn't read the post directly above mine. Pure coincidence. Not many IS 200T Doors available for sale on the internet

Quick Reply: Help! 2017 IS Swipe