2014 3IS non F-Sport Fog Lamps

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-17, 04:48 AM
RazvanR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 3IS non F-Sport Fog Lamps

Hey guys,

Im sorry if this has been asked before (i tried searching the forums but didnt find any answer). I know from the owners manual that my 3IS take H16 bulb type for non fsport fog lights. I was wondering if it was possible to fit H11 bulbs in the fog lamps, or if any of you tried this retrofit.

The reason i want to try this is because H11 bulbs are 55w and H16 are 19w which means more light.

Many thanks for your help.
Old 08-11-17, 07:29 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
This poster's post would seem to confirm that the H11 bulb would fit just fine.

More good info here (note I don't think HIDPH is still an active vendor) but lots of good info in the thread nonetheless.

Great to see CL having a world-wide membership.
there are a few europeans here and there.
Old 08-11-17, 08:33 AM
Phamkq
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Actually, I have had this issue.

I placed an h11 bulb into the base h16 foglight wiring harnesses and it turns on for about 5 seconds while driving and then shuts off.

Not too sure why. It does stay on when the car is OFF though. Possibly too many things eating up power in my car (dash cam, rear cam, phone chargers, air management/compressors, etc)
Old 08-11-17, 08:45 AM
Phamkq
Driver

Yes I am on bags but all wiring relating to the lighting should all be oem, I highly doubt my installer touched any of those as the compressor harnesses are tapped directly onto the battery and ground.

Give it a try, worse case scenario just return the bulbs. But definitely shoot me a message to let me know how it goes because I alwayss wondered myself as h11 always been brighter compared to h16.
Old 08-11-17, 09:07 AM
Phamkq
Driver

Which h11 bulb did you buy if I may ask?

They were installed before the bags
Old 08-13-17, 06:24 AM
RazvanR
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys, sorry for not replying in due time, i took the car on a small road trip. If the H11 fits the H16 socket then that is one of the issues resolved.
The other issue would be that the original h16 uses 29watts of power where the h11 uses 55watts, its possible that the vehicle turns off the bulbs considering it expects the bulb to use only 29w. I am all about function rather than form so if i can get most light output then thats the way i am going.

I've ordered a no name h11 bulb to test and if it works fine than i'll order my final bulbs. Basically over here its rather difficult to return the bulbs once they have been 'used'.

Im gonna upgrade the stock D4S lowbeams with Philips Xtreme Vision gen2, and Osram Nightbreaker h11 for the fogs.

Glad to meet you guys also. Lexus rulles!!

Take care!
Old 08-13-17, 08:26 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by RazvanR
...its possible that the vehicle turns off the bulbs considering it expects the bulb to use only 29w...
I'm fairly certain the vehicle will not do that. If the bulbs draw more amperage than the fuse for the circuit is rated at, the fuse will simply blow.
Old 08-27-17, 09:01 AM
RazvanR
Driver School Candidate

So i ordered my bulbs, they were shipped and when i went to install them surprise... H11s do NOT fit H16 fog lamps. There is a metal which has 1-2 mm greater diameter than the h16s which do not allow the bulb to go in perfectly. Im talking about hallogen bulbs not aftermarket LEDs.

So as far as normal bulbs are concerned, they are not compatible, such a shame though .
Old 08-28-17, 02:52 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RazvanR
Hey guys,
The reason i want to try this is because H11 bulbs are 55w and H16 are 19w which means more light.

Many thanks for your help.
You don't care that you'll glare oncoming drivers with your illegal bulbs?
Old 08-29-17, 12:05 AM
RazvanR
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dizlex
You don't care that you'll glare oncoming drivers with your illegal bulbs?
Firstly you have no idea under what circumstances i will use the lights, secondly, halogen bulbs are far less 'illegal' than aftermarket Chinese LED bulbs or HIDs. Thirdly, considering LEXUS used H11 bulbs in the CT200h for example i HARDLY consider H11 in the IS300h 'illegal'.

I am not upgrading the bulbs because i want them to look better, or for show, or any of that bull, nor do i plan on driving with them on all the time. I need them to function as we get a lot of fog here, and wet roads where the Xenon LOW BEAMS struggle to light. I hope now you understand if not, i'm sorry i can do no further for you.

Best regards,

Razvan R
Old 08-30-17, 03:51 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,655 Posts

If you want function, forget all that other jazz.

This is a little known secret i've been amping up. Direct plug and play. Nothing needed. Fantastic results. Used it on my Lexus CT. For non F-Sport ONLY.

http://amzn.to/2wTWC2v

And without knowing the projection schematics of the lights, I wouldn't be stuffing in bigger/more powerful bulbs in housings likely not designed for them. You could start a fire or burn stuff. Unless you know the factory used H11 bulbs in identical projection units on OTHER applications, then i'd steer clear of that mod and go LED system (note not LED, but LED SYSTEM--proper lighting is a system--a package) as I posted.

It's not about what you use, really, but how it's being used.
Old 08-31-17, 12:17 AM
RazvanR
Driver School Candidate

E46CT, the housing is similar to that of the CT200h, and the CT uses H11 bulbs. None the less, your are absolutely right and i appreciate a constructive comment, rather than a comment designed only to flame, there's a difference.

These are plug and play? Just remove the old fog lamp and install this?

Thanks for the link.

RazvanR
Old 08-31-17, 08:42 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Yep plug and play. You may need to trim 2 of the tabs of the mounting points on the new lights for it to fit 100%, i used nail cippers. took only a second. and it looks factory and bolts right up.

wire plugs in directly.

sometimes i dream of swapping for the non F-sport bumper just so i can use these lights.

nstead i did a custom set of foglights for my F - sport bumper, it was a lot of work. I installed Corolla LED projectors into the f sport fog light space. But i prefer an elegant plug and play solution.
Old 09-06-17, 02:39 PM
marsmango
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Yep plug and play. You may need to trim 2 of the tabs of the mounting points on the new lights for it to fit 100%, i used nail cippers. took only a second. and it looks factory and bolts right up.

wire plugs in directly.

sometimes i dream of swapping for the non F-sport bumper just so i can use these lights.

nstead i did a custom set of foglights for my F - sport bumper, it was a lot of work. I installed Corolla LED projectors into the f sport fog light space. But i prefer an elegant plug and play solution.
I'm interested in upgrading mine using the link posted. The stock fog lights are weak. Is there any diy guide for install? I understand they're plug and play, but never did any modifications like fog lights before so I'm not too sure where to start

Quick Reply: 2014 3IS non F-Sport Fog Lamps