IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2017 3IS rear diffuser on a 2014 3IS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-17, 08:12 AM
winstonchu
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by specONE
@winstonchu Thanks for the photos,Do you have a better camera? photos a bit blurry. In the last photo, the floor is clearly focus but the car isnt

Could you take some more in direct light showing the rear end and also a side profile of the diffuser in relation to the muffler tips (does it stick out or get hidden)?
I do have a better camera! I'll snap some of those shots you request when I get back in town later this week!

@sdqqbb

Yup you definitely have to remove the rear bumper to remove the diffuser
Old 08-22-17, 12:21 AM
leo877
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

it might be cheaper if you get quad tips instead OEM rectangle tips
Old 08-23-17, 07:08 PM
winstonchu
Driver

The following 3 users liked this post by winstonchu:
ChineseKFC (10-03-17), specONE (08-24-17), zhieson (09-21-17)
Old 08-24-17, 12:05 PM
Chedeng88
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks nice! And the stock round tips aren't that off looking to warrant immediate replacement of the rectangular ones. Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-24-17, 12:15 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

@winstonchu , thanks for the photos, helpful for me making decision.
Old 09-26-17, 01:21 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Where did you tape to avoid scratching the paint? Also, do you just pull off the clips or have to use a flat head screwdriver?
Old 09-26-17, 01:37 PM
winstonchu
Driver

Originally Posted by FUZCO
Where did you tape to avoid scratching the paint? Also, do you just pull off the clips or have to use a flat head screwdriver?
I taped right below the rear headlights. I went a little extra from the instructions( theres a PDF earlier in the thread with instructions where to tape). I actually taped along the panels on the bumper and the piece above (was probably overkill).

If you're referring to the black plastic push clips all around, I used a car panel removal tool (was like 4 bucks off amazon). You might be able to use a flat head screwdriver but would probably take more work. The clips are pretty darn tight.
Old 09-26-17, 01:39 PM
winstonchu
Driver

Also as a update, the 2017 OEM tips came last week and I'm planning on getting them installed on my F-Sport Exhaust so we'll see how that goes. Will required cutting and welding (Don't care tooooo much about the f sport engraving.. its nice for sure)
Old 09-27-17, 10:08 AM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by winstonchu
I taped right below the rear headlights. I went a little extra from the instructions( theres a PDF earlier in the thread with instructions where to tape). I actually taped along the panels on the bumper and the piece above (was probably overkill).

If you're referring to the black plastic push clips all around, I used a car panel removal tool (was like 4 bucks off amazon). You might be able to use a flat head screwdriver but would probably take more work. The clips are pretty darn tight.
Do you happen to have a picture of the plastic tool you used to disassemble to clips? I'm really concerned about marring the bumper even with the tape on with too much force.

There is a post somewhere about somebody having their diffuser removed at a shop without the bumper being removed on a 3IS. Didn't explain how, but there must have been a way to get the screws off the reflectors which is the reason for needing to remove the bumper because of the tight spaces. Wonder what tool was used to do it. If possible, then the new duffyserbcsn be put on without putting the two screws back if there's enough support already perhaps. Just a thought.
Old 09-27-17, 10:18 AM
winstonchu
Driver

Originally Posted by FUZCO
Do you happen to have a picture of the plastic tool you used to disassemble to clips? I'm really concerned about marring the bumper even with the tape on with too much force.

There is a post somewhere about somebody having their diffuser removed at a shop without the bumper being removed on a 3IS. Didn't explain how, but there must have been a way to get the screws off the reflectors which is the reason for needing to remove the bumper because of the tight spaces. Wonder what tool was used to do it. If possible, then the new duffyserbcsn be put on without putting the two screws back if there's enough support already perhaps. Just a thought.

Are you talking about the black plastic clip above? You can use any combination of the tools in the picture above. If you are talking about the clips built into the bumper, they are very durable and snap on and off. The pdf shows how they are clipped in and you should be able to pull off the rear bumper with some force.

I saw that post as well but after taking apart the rear bumper and removing the rear diffuser I can confirm that you must take off the rear bumper. The person who posted it has a Tom's rear body kit which actually requires cutting the rear bumper to install the rear diffuser from the body kit which makes me feel like they just cut out the rear diffuser and parts of the bumper (someone can correct me on this)
Old 07-20-18, 09:55 AM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Received 409 Likes on 312 Posts

I bought the 2018 base model rear valance to go on my 2016 F-Sport.

An example I found online.

Last edited by Sheddy; 07-21-18 at 11:35 PM.
Old 08-06-18, 04:26 PM
07starfire
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here’s the 2017 diffuser on a 2016 with an F Sport exhaust
Old 08-06-18, 07:49 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Is it me, or is that diffuser painted/wrapped gloss black? And thanks for posting this; was curious how the fsport exhaust would look paired with the refreshed diffuser.
Old 08-06-18, 09:32 PM
Falcon7X
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sheddy
I bought the 2018 base model rear valance to go on my 2016 F-Sport.

An example I found online.
What's the part number for this particular base model diffuser?
Old 08-07-18, 04:47 AM
07starfire
Driver School Candidate

Rageracerm....Yeah it’s wrapped in black gloss carbon fiber film. Hard to tell in the shadow though.

Last edited by 07starfire; 08-07-18 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Adding username for reply

Quick Reply: 2017 3IS rear diffuser on a 2014 3IS?