IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus 3IS IS200t IS350 F-Sport Front Brake Pad DIY - $60 and 30 minutes or less!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-18, 12:00 AM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
^no, that's stupid. Lexus isn't even a manufactur of pads. An outside supplier (actually a german BMW affiliated company) supplies Lexus's pads. Meyle is also a german company.
If you read the post, no one ever stated or wrote that "Lexus is a manufactur of pads". "Genuine Parts" doesn't necessary imply "manufactured by".

"The moral of the story" is ALWAYS pair pads & rotors that are advised & recommended to be paired ~ don't just mix & match for the hell of it, or price, or because it sounds cool.

What's "stupid" is ending up with your issue, which is again a possibility, or similar, going with your new setup.

Last edited by LaZeR; 06-27-18 at 11:31 PM.
Old 08-15-18, 12:21 PM
skottydznt
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know if the 00465-30450 and 00465-30510s work with the OEM Shims on an 2017 IS200T F Sport? I'm looking for something with less dust and more longevity than the 30500s that came on my car so hoping someone can help me out. Also does anyone know what the difference between those two pads and/or have a recommendation between them?

Thanks,
Old 08-15-18, 01:17 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,570 Posts

Skotty, what pads are you referring to? If you want less dust and more longevity, get the blue lexus pads. that simple.

as far as that other person up there, have no idea what he's referring to. if he's implying noise i experienced with the aftermarket rotors, they should know i was in a pinch on a particular weekend and couldn't get the rotors i wanted on time. Has nothing to do with being "stupid" but testing products out and reporting back to the community. bought meyles and all is well now.

The comprehension isn't there but i guess that's what happens when you deal with an upper case/lower case "hAcKeR" style user name. No mas.
Old 08-15-18, 01:19 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

And no you can mix and match brands between rotors and pads. As long as either/or is from a reputable company. That is not up for debate whatsoever.
Old 08-15-18, 02:15 PM
skottydznt
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi E46 - i was referring to if the low dust pads work with the OEM shims that came with the 17 F Sport. I would need to order new shims with those if that wasn't the case.
Old 11-03-18, 01:00 PM
Wams200T
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i want to thank E46CT for this thread.i did my front brakes and oil change in less then one hour.......Hell YES!
this was by far the easiest brake job i have ever done.with the proper tool and the correct brake pads this project was a breeze....
thanks again....
ps i would like to add.that my IS 200t had 21k on the clock before i changed my pads.the ware indicator was just about to touch the rotors.i might have had a week left on them before it started to touch.i went with the Akebono ACT1118 ProAct Ultra premium ceramic brake pads.these pads work GREAT and very little drop off from the Fsport pads.the only thing i did notice was they don't have the initial hard bite as the Fsport pads do.that is just fine with me as this car is my wife's DD and i am hoping that will give us longer life on the pads.i know this is a sports car but 10-25k plus on a set of pads for a DD driver is crazy.............
Old 11-05-18, 09:40 AM
chinox22x
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I am in the process of changing mine with akes. Car has 20k miles when I bought it a couple of months ago. Looking at these pads they are pretty worn out. Maybe 3mm left.

I ended up going all all the way and painted the calipers with G2. They are drying as we speak lol.

edit. Looks pink in the pics but in person it’s plum purple

Last edited by chinox22x; 11-05-18 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-02-19, 11:59 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

About to do mine next week. Didn't see anything regarding brake fluid -- either in taking the top off the reservoir to release pressure, to remove any in case of overflow, or to bleed and refill afterwards?
Old 02-03-19, 10:43 AM
osiriskidd
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
About to do mine next week. Didn't see anything regarding brake fluid -- either in taking the top off the reservoir to release pressure, to remove any in case of overflow, or to bleed and refill afterwards?
​​​​​​​
you can open the reservoir cap to release pressure.
shouldn't need to bleed unless you're detaching the brake lines.

Last edited by osiriskidd; 02-03-19 at 10:43 AM. Reason: asdasd
The following users liked this post:
AtomicAWD (02-03-19)
Old 02-03-19, 11:20 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by osiriskidd
​​​​​​​
you can open the reservoir cap to release pressure.
shouldn't need to bleed unless you're detaching the brake lines.
Thanks, and presumably as long as it isn't too full it shouldn't overflow? Always figured bleeding was a standard procedure during brake work, but is it only also really for when changing out the fluid, or maybe if the fluid has become contaminated or reservoir run too low or dry? Going to have it changed out at next service anyway.
Old 02-03-19, 03:03 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Brake fluid only needs to be bled when air enters the system.
So that would encompass if you remove/disconnect a line or remove all the fluid in the reservoir (as when flushing/replacing the fluid or when it runs low because the system is open somewhere)
It's always a good idea to replace the fluid every couple years, but that can be dependent on climate and vehicle usage (or non-usage).
Old 02-04-19, 08:04 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Yes it's good to remove the pad when doing a swap. I believe there's a diaphragm that extends down as the pads wear that just gets reversed as you push the piston back so it shouldn't be the end of the world if you forget. The better reason for removing the cap is to ensure your level is good (usually better on an older car with possibly leaky old lines etc)
Old 07-14-19, 12:22 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

If the wear indicators starts screeching... do the rotors then need to be serviced? Or could I just get away with doing the pad slap?
Old 07-14-19, 12:30 PM
ChineseKFC
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RageRacerM
If the wear indicators starts screeching... do the rotors then need to be serviced? Or could I just get away with doing the pad slap?
Depends on how long it was screeching for, however once they get down to that point most of time you’ll need to replace the rotors
Old 07-14-19, 12:38 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

They just started yesterday

Quick Reply: Lexus 3IS IS200t IS350 F-Sport Front Brake Pad DIY - $60 and 30 minutes or less!