IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus 3IS IS200t IS350 F-Sport Front Brake Pad DIY - $60 and 30 minutes or less!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-17, 09:33 AM
SwiftIS
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I think, we have different issues, some of us went with aftermarket VS OEM and we are getting a snap/clap type of noise. Since my OEM had 2 shims behind each pad(Akebono 1 per pad), there is some space between the caliper pods and rotor. I'm going in later today and add some shims since I kept the old pads/hardware. I probably won't do a clean up either. Hehe.

I hope this helps. The noise happens every, single, day in the initial drive to reverse/reverse to drive.
Old 08-30-17, 10:10 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by SwiftIS
I think, we have different issues, some of us went with aftermarket VS OEM and we are getting a snap/clap type of noise. Since my OEM had 2 shims behind each pad(Akebono 1 per pad), there is some space between the caliper pods and rotor. I'm going in later today and add some shims since I kept the old pads/hardware. I probably won't do a clean up either. Hehe.

I hope this helps. The noise happens every, single, day in the initial drive to reverse/reverse to drive.
Let us know if your results!
Old 08-30-17, 11:31 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by SwiftIS
What you are describing here is pad walk...the change in vehicle direction causes a clack/clap type noise. This is occurring because there is just enough clearance between the metal backing of the brake pad and the caliper bracket (IS250) or caliper housing (every other IS).
The shims won't have any effect on this...and the good news is your pads aren't seized in the bracket, or caliper, which is good.
Adding some brake lube (Copper lube or the like) to the contact ends of the brake pad will eliminate or reduce this. Honestly it's nothing to be concerned about...although I do agree the noise sounds abnormal when you here it and can make you believe there is a real issue with the brakes.

On the topic of shims...use whatever shims come with the pads. If aftermarket pads come with one or two shims, use only that, do not add more shims, it's not really a fix for anything.
If OEM pads, which the shims are sold separately, come with 2 shims per pad, then only install that.
Make sure the shims are in good condition...the stainless ones will last, like what seems like, forever. The black ones do tend to rust and flake apart over time...in which case replace ALL the shims at once, since that is how they are sold.
In some climates (not Canada), I can see that black shim also lasting forever, or at least a very very long time. Winter and road salt do a number on the cars here...so everything is getting replaced at some point.

Additionally, in my environment, there is zero chance that worn out pad replacement will not require the brakes to be serviced/cleaned, and the rotors machined/resurfaced.
So to expect the same life out of a replacement set of pads, where the brakes were not serviced and the rotors machined, is completely unrealistic.
I've done it both ways, proper pad replacement procedures (service and machine), and just throwing a set of pads in, and I can account for a guaranteed 10% less life expectancy out of the new set of pads.
I tried it on different vehicle types (SUV, Minivans, cars) and front & rear disc brakes, and there was very little variance in the results.

For those wishing to expand their own understanding about brakes, brake service, and brake noise, here is an article that is full of great information. http://www.ucx.com/documents/brakenoise.pdf
The article is older, but the reality is that brakes haven't changed much in the last few decades, and the information is still applicable to today's vehicles.

It's obvious that there are different views on brakes, brake service, and machining rotors, and everyone should proceed as they think best.
Educating yourself is the best tool you can have when tackling anything.
Old 08-30-17, 03:07 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,570 Posts

If you are using aftermarket pads, that slap noise could just be a tolerance difference (size difference) between aftermarket pad and stock caliper. Maybe the aftermarket pad bracket has a slightly different (smaller) dimension allowing for freeplay from D to R and back. Try the shims and let us know!
Old 08-31-17, 12:40 PM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
You are absolutely correct and that is absolutely best practice...I don't think I could have described it any better.
For the 350, personally, I wouldn't remove the caliper to clean it, but the 250 you would have to...but I would clean both styles of calipers nonetheless.
And yes, the engineers know better, so they will tell you that this isn't necessary. LOL!!! The car will never know the difference...shhhh!
Thx, great minds think alike.

Reason I say clean the sides within the pad housing in the calipers is because I struggled to get the new pads fitted because the surface was rough, and the brake pad backings weren't sliding in very well. That was because there was some dried brake lube from the factory that was baked on to the surface, so I just took some low-grit sandpaper and brake cleaner to address, and then the pads slid in easier.

These are little details that no tech or shop is going to pay attention to, which is why I like doing all the work myself whenever possible.
Old 08-31-17, 01:32 PM
SwiftIS
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll update you guys with my results as soon as the weather cools down to tackle the brake job.
Old 08-31-17, 04:57 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sybaritic
Thx, great minds think alike.

Reason I say clean the sides within the pad housing in the calipers is because I struggled to get the new pads fitted because the surface was rough, and the brake pad backings weren't sliding in very well. That was because there was some dried brake lube from the factory that was baked on to the surface, so I just took some low-grit sandpaper and brake cleaner to address, and then the pads slid in easier.

These are little details that no tech or shop is going to pay attention to, which is why I like doing all the work myself whenever possible.
Have you tried a Scotchbrite pad (or similar) instead of the low-grit sandpaper? It does a nice job when combined with the brake cleaner and doesn't scratch the clips. Almost polishes the area the pad rides on.
Old 09-01-17, 06:03 AM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

How about the torque specs for the calipers and rims I can't seem to find the answer...
Old 09-01-17, 08:06 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ttsport15
How about the torque specs for the calipers and rims I can't seem to find the answer...
Here is the answer to the shim question and your questions...

N*m (kgf*cm, ft.*lbf): Specified torque
The wheel torque can be found in the owners manual in the Specification section in the back. I believe it's the usual Toyota/Lexus/Scion 78 ft. lbs.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
LatinLS430 (09-01-17), ttsport15 (09-02-17)
Old 09-01-17, 08:09 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,570 Posts

The wheels I used 80 ft lbs +/- 5.

Calipers no idea. Just make them very tight. It may be hard to fit a torque wrench under there.
Old 09-01-17, 09:30 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

The caliper bolts are 100 ft. lbs like the pic says

I went to get another shim kit from Lexus and they parts guys asked a tech and the tech said that it's only one shim per caliper. I'm going to put two shims like OP and see if that gets rid of my creaking noise.
Old 09-01-17, 09:45 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LatinGS350
The caliper bolts are 100 ft. lbs like the pic says

I went to get another shim kit from Lexus and they parts guys asked a tech and the tech said that it's only one shim per caliper. I'm going to put two shims like OP and see if that gets rid of my creaking noise.
That's odd. The shims are sold as a set first of all, so it's just one part number for the contents of the bag.
I'm trying to recall all the different shims I've seen on Toyota/Lexus/Scion...and I'm hard pressed to remember a pad set that has only one shim per pad...especially any modern vehicle.
Anything is possible, but I doubt that the pic I posted is incorrect...considering it's from the Lexus Repair Manual.
And I've haven't seen a fixed caliper with only one shim per pad.
I'm kinda dumbfounded why the parts guy asked the tech...there's a parts computer with the parts catalog, which will tell him exactly which shim kit to give you based on your VIN.
Seems like a red flag to me to keep driving to the next dealer!
Old 09-01-17, 09:51 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

That's odd. The shims are sold as a set first of all, so it's just one part number for the contents of the bag.
I'm trying to recall all the different shims I've seen on Toyota/Lexus/Scion...and I'm hard pressed to remember a pad set that has only one shim per pad...especially any modern vehicle.
Anything is possible, but I doubt that the pic I posted is incorrect...considering it's from the Lexus Repair Manual.
And I've haven't seen a fixed caliper with only one shim per pad.
I'm kinda dumbfounded why the parts guy asked the tech...there's a parts computer with the parts catalog, which will tell him exactly which shim kit to give you based on your VIN.
Seems like a red flag to me to keep driving to the next dealer!
Yeah the parts guy had to get my VIN because he was getting 3 options. I only go to this dealer because it's 10 mins away from me haha.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus 3IS IS200t IS350 F-Sport Front Brake Pad DIY -  and 30 minutes or less!-20170827_192852.jpg  
Old 09-01-17, 10:04 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LatinGS350
Yeah the parts guy had to get my VIN because he was getting 3 options. I only go to this dealer because it's 10 mins away from me haha.
Those shims will also fit your GS...I'm assuming you have the GS and an IS.
Old 09-01-17, 10:09 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Those shims will also fit your GS...I'm assuming you have the GS and an IS.
Haha nope just my GS350. I'm asking here because nobody in the 4GS forum answered my question. The brakes look identical so that's why i posted here.

Quick Reply: Lexus 3IS IS200t IS350 F-Sport Front Brake Pad DIY - $60 and 30 minutes or less!