IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus 3IS IS200t IS350 F-Sport Front Brake Pad DIY - $60 and 30 minutes or less!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-17, 03:06 PM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts

Where can I buy those brake shims? I'm going back to OEM pads after using Posiquiet pads and I don't think came with shims. The new OEM pads that I got didn't come with shims or hardware.
Old 08-05-17, 03:15 PM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by LatinGS350
Where can I buy those brake shims? I'm going back to OEM pads after using Posiquiet pads and I don't think came with shims. The new OEM pads that I got didn't come with shims or hardware.
I say go to the dealer and they should sell them as a kit of 6 pieces.

I just re-read the thread title, and I think 30min is a tad too short. The best practices when it comes to doing brakes is to clean all the shims (and then put some brake lube of course) and that top anti rattle clip with either a bench grinder or sandpaper/brake cleaner, and to remove the caliper so you can sand and clean off the inside surfaces where the sides of the brake pads slide against when installing/removing. When I installed my pads, I did just that, then painted on a thin layer of brake lube on the sides of the pad backing before fitting them in so they can move in/out easier when applying and releasing the brakes.
Old 08-29-17, 01:53 PM
LatinLS430
Instructor

How do the shims go? Do they just go on one side of the caliper? I got a new shim kit from Lexus and it came with 4 shims and I put a shim on each pad. Not sure if that's the right way. Now I'm getting creaking sound when I went back to OEM pads and shims.
Old 08-29-17, 02:02 PM
SwiftIS
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Anybody on here experiencing "pad crack/slap" when switching from forward to reverse, or vice versa?

I am and I can't find a fix for it. Even the dealer said it was normal. :/
Old 08-29-17, 03:11 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,573 Posts

Just study my pics closely to see how they go on. IIRC, they really are molded to the pad so its hard to screw it up.

As far as taking longer and cleaning everything up-- maybe next time around. My car is "new" and since its the first pad change at 10k, I didn't see it as necessary--and it wasn't.

Since many cars can go 5 years/60k on a set of pads without incident, the car sees no difference to a new set of pads at 10k. To the car, it's just keeping on driving. It doesn't know any different.

My pads are noiseless--funny to say because my factory (1st set) of pads actually made noise at times--even two weeks after I bought the car! haha! Magic touch?
Old 08-29-17, 03:43 PM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Originally Posted by E46CT
Just study my pics closely to see how they go on. IIRC, they really are molded to the pad so its hard to screw it up.

As far as taking longer and cleaning everything up-- maybe next time around. My car is "new" and since its the first pad change at 10k, I didn't see it as necessary--and it wasn't.

Since many cars can go 5 years/60k on a set of pads without incident, the car sees no difference to a new set of pads at 10k. To the car, it's just keeping on driving. It doesn't know any different.

My pads are noiseless--funny to say because my factory (1st set) of pads actually made noise at times--even two weeks after I bought the car! haha! Magic touch?
From your pics it looks like it's two shims per side. I don't think there's any difference between your IS350 and my GS350 brakes since they look identical. I don't have the original OEM pads with the shims so I have nothing to reference back to.

Last edited by LatinLS430; 08-29-17 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-29-17, 03:50 PM
SwiftIS
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Crap, if I remember correctly, the pads I installed only had one shim each side.
Old 08-29-17, 03:53 PM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Originally Posted by SwiftIS
Crap, if I remember correctly, the pads I installed only had one shim each side.
I installed mine with 1 shim per pad also. So I'm assuming I need two shim kits from Lexus so I can so 2 shims per pads and 8 shims total.
Old 08-29-17, 04:22 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

I installed mine with 1 shim per pad also. So I'm assuming I need two shim kits from Lexus so I can so 2 shims per pads and 8 shims total.
Depends on the vehicle...some have 2 shims per pad and some have 1 per pad.
I don't have a 350, but I believe it's 2 shims per pad...a black inner one with a stainless one on top...for each pad.
The following users liked this post:
LatinLS430 (08-29-17)
Old 08-29-17, 04:25 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by Sybaritic
I say go to the dealer and they should sell them as a kit of 6 pieces.

I just re-read the thread title, and I think 30min is a tad too short. The best practices when it comes to doing brakes is to clean all the shims (and then put some brake lube of course) and that top anti rattle clip with either a bench grinder or sandpaper/brake cleaner, and to remove the caliper so you can sand and clean off the inside surfaces where the sides of the brake pads slide against when installing/removing. When I installed my pads, I did just that, then painted on a thin layer of brake lube on the sides of the pad backing before fitting them in so they can move in/out easier when applying and releasing the brakes.
You are absolutely correct and that is absolutely best practice...I don't think I could have described it any better.
For the 350, personally, I wouldn't remove the caliper to clean it, but the 250 you would have to...but I would clean both styles of calipers nonetheless.
And yes, the engineers know better, so they will tell you that this isn't necessary. LOL!!! The car will never know the difference...shhhh!
Old 08-29-17, 05:09 PM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

My 17 is300 has 2 shims
Old 08-29-17, 06:05 PM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Depends on the vehicle...some have 2 shims per pad and some have 1 per pad.
I don't have a 350, but I believe it's 2 shims per pad...a black inner one with a stainless one on top...for each pad.
Thanks for that info!
Originally Posted by ttsport15
My 17 is300 has 2 shims
All right, so it looks like it's 2 shims per pad.
Old 08-29-17, 06:31 PM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for that info!

All right, so it looks like it's 2 shims per pad.
that's what came off mine
Old 08-30-17, 08:30 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

As said, my brand new California Lexus still had pristine brake hardware. I did not see any need to clean the calipers or associated hardware on my personal car. Your car may vary. My pads needed changing that's all. Old pads out, new pads in. My brakes are noise and trouble free.

Manufacturers instruct any techs working on the car to clean brakes when serviced as general practice. Doesn't mean it will always be technically necessary, but just a "sound" practice from a servicing point of view to do it all the time as there's no good reason not to and claim payouts for return visits will be minimized.

In effect, changing out to new pads without "cleaning" is actually cleaner than the old pads due to having brand new clean guides on the pads to slide within the caliper. If it didn't squeal due to being "dirty" before, it certainly won't squeal after with new cleaner pads. In short, more emphasis on cleaning when you have problems/squealing before pad change.

And if we want to get on the subject on how to properly clean brake hardware, we can go there too.

I just chose not to do it this time around.
Old 08-30-17, 08:38 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Also on shims, if you just have one pair, just install it. I just installed whatever was on my old pads onto the new pads.

Most of what shims do is reduce the chances of high-frequency vibration, and thus noise. More shims just means more mass to absorb vibrations. You may be fine with one pair per pad vs. two pairs, certainly it's not an emergency.
The following users liked this post:
LatinLS430 (08-30-17)

Quick Reply: Lexus 3IS IS200t IS350 F-Sport Front Brake Pad DIY - $60 and 30 minutes or less!