IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

no SRS light

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-17, 09:34 AM
Calboy9903
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no SRS light

I bought a rebuilt car (2016 is200t) and knew some of the airbags had deployed, but was told they were replaced. I failed the inspection because the airbag light does not turn on when car is started. Of course, the person I bought it from is not returning my calls.

How should I go about doing an initial diagnosis? Is there any cause for the light not to turn on other than someone removing the light? Would a blown fuse or disconnected SRS system result in no light? Is there a way to test the light without taking off the instrument panel?

Will an ODBII scanner with lexus SRS capability tell me if any airbags are missing and if so where? If so, what is the cheapest bluetooth, usb, or standalone with this capability? Or do any auto stores in CA have this capability to read it?
I am pretty sure the driver side knee airbag is missing. The two curtain and wheel airbag deployed as well and I'm not sure if they were replaced. Is there an easy way to see to see if those were replaced?
Assuming I am missing one or more, I should be expecting to reset airbag module, right?
Old 07-14-17, 02:21 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

I believe the SRS light is not a bulb, but rather an LED on the circuit board of the instrument cluster.
I don't anyone would have gone in there to tamper with the LED, they would have likely tried to disable it by other means.
Because the light doesn't work, you don't know if there are any codes, but you can be pretty much guaranteed there are...why else disable the light?
As SRS codes are Body codes, they are not regulated by OBDII standards, which are Powertrain related codes. Common OBDII scanners only retrieve Powertrain related codes...basically codes that start with the letter "P".
SRS codes will start with the letter "B".
I believe you will either need the Techstream software, or something similar that can access Body codes.
Once you get the codes, this will tell you where the problem areas are...and what you should be looking for.

My only concern is how they disabled the light. You may be right that they pulled the fuse(s) for the SRS system. First step I would suggest is to go through every fuse box in the car (under the hood and drivers kick panel) and make sure all are present and not blown.
You may find a blown or missing fuse, and once replaced, the SRS light may reappear.
Then the next step is to get the codes retrieved so you know what you are dealing with.
Old 07-14-17, 03:26 PM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If you are in California and not Canada they don't have to pick up the phone. Cars are solid "As Is" here if Canada I have no idea what your recourse is. I would really get the car to a Lexus dealership and have it looked at, you are talking about the safety of yourself and your passengers.
Old 07-14-17, 04:01 PM
Calboy9903
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, cars are sold as is in California, but misrepresentation is still fraud. He stated the airbags were replaced and presumably did something to hide a malfunctioning system. I didn't know to check for the light and didn't think it was necessary since I had purchased my last car from the same person with no problems. I had him sign a note that stated that for 6 months he would correct any mechanical problem so that should help with any 'as is' concerns. He hasn't even provided the necessary receipts for the parts that were replaced, so I can't pass CHP inspection for that well. I didn't know I needed those since CHP inspections were not required when I bought the last one. At this point, I just need to get it fixed so I can register it.

WIll this device read the SRS codes?
Amazon Amazon
Old 07-14-17, 09:48 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Calboy9903
Yes, cars are sold as is in California, but misrepresentation is still fraud. He stated the airbags were replaced and presumably did something to hide a malfunctioning system. I didn't know to check for the light and didn't think it was necessary since I had purchased my last car from the same person with no problems. I had him sign a note that stated that for 6 months he would correct any mechanical problem so that should help with any 'as is' concerns. He hasn't even provided the necessary receipts for the parts that were replaced, so I can't pass CHP inspection for that well. I didn't know I needed those since CHP inspections were not required when I bought the last one. At this point, I just need to get it fixed so I can register it.

WIll this device read the SRS codes? https://www.amazon.com/Carista-Bluet.../dp/B00YVHGTBM
Canada and USA = same buy/sell laws except Canada don't have Lemon laws, If you bought the car with "AS IT" you're done, you can't sue or reimburse your money, if you buy a for with Safety inspection you have 30 days to claim any issue with safety related we called it a "Certified Vehicle" in Canada, if the car was certified and dealer screwed you over ? bring it back within 30 days, they will fix for free, or law will after them, when you agreed to buy a car with Title "Rebuilt" or "As it" good luck with that, i worked for my brother for 2 years in his car rebuilt insurance claim collision repair, unless you know or you rebuilt that car or you bought it dirt cheap otherwise, NO ONE will DO A PERFECT rebuilt job bro, trust me no one lol, since your car bought rebuilt you'll keep finding missing parts pieces in your car.