IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Nasty smelling air

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-17, 10:00 PM
Lveyolfe
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Nasty smelling air

Yes.. I know this topic has been discussed before but I don't know what to do anymore. My vent blow nasty smelling moldy/BO no matter what.
-Lexus did they're AC treatment
-I've don't the Lysol in the vent trick
-Changed the air filter multiple times
and it still smells! Is there a complete air/AC flush I can do? Any suggestions?
Its so embarrassing to have people in the car.. I live in WA, and this was a CA car btw.. thank you!!!
Old 07-13-17, 10:17 PM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Run just the fan to dry out the AC ducts before shutting the car down. Both my Volvo's had this problem. The last few minutes of any drive I would cut the compressor and just run the fan, the problem went away. If I didn't water would sit in the ducts and it would smell like mildew the next time I ran fan.
Old 07-13-17, 10:42 PM
Lveyolfe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
There's a TSB out on the HVAC Odor... by "Lexus did they're (sic) AC treatment" does that mean the dealer addressed this TSB for your car?

I've attached the HVAC Odor TSB for your reference as it might assist you in addressing your concern.
I'm not sure if it was the TSB.. they did perform they're foam spray stuff for free though.
Old 07-14-17, 12:00 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Have you tried running the fan and/or venting air from the outside (instead of recirculating) for a few minutes before turning the car off? Seems to work like a charm for me. I started having the smell a few weeks ago, but it can be ameliorated with some fresh air.
Old 07-14-17, 12:11 PM
Lveyolfe
Lead Lap

95% of the time I have it on fresh air. Only time I use recirculate is when turning the AC on, after a minute or so i switch to fresh.
Old 07-14-17, 01:15 PM
kwb18
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has this issue. I turned the fresh air on for a few minutes before turning the car off. Seemed to help when I turned the car on a few hours later.
Old 07-14-17, 01:22 PM
Lveyolfe
Lead Lap

I feel in my case something more serious is going on. I personally think I need the evaporator core changed/looked at, or something died in the blower fan that's causing this smell. Even my Lexus dealer said NO ONE has came back saying the car still smells after they did they're foam cleanser..
Old 07-14-17, 04:55 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Lveyolfe
I feel in my case something more serious is going on. I personally think I need the evaporator core changed/looked at, or something died in the blower fan that's causing this smell. Even my Lexus dealer said NO ONE has came back saying the car still smells after they did they're foam cleanser..
My mom had a car with this issue once, some rodents got into the A/C ducts and made a nest. Took months to finally diagnose the remediate the issue.
Old 07-14-17, 05:16 PM
Lveyolfe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TimboIS
My mom had a car with this issue once, some rodents got into the A/C ducts and made a nest. Took months to finally diagnose the remediate the issue.
Did you guys take it to a shop or do it yourself? In the blower fan area?
Old 07-14-17, 05:17 PM
Lveyolfe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
^^ Brings back memories... had a buddy in high school break up with his gf... only to find out a week or so later she knew what he was up to and had gone to buy shrimp prior to them meeting... when he broke the news, she slipped a shrimp into one of his air ducts... we couldn't figure out what the hell was going on with the car until she later fessed up... we had a good laugh about it afterward but man did it stink... and never really completely went away, even after removal. Alright, story time over... Hopefully this is not your issue.
Jeez, that's grimy and messed up haha. I gotta take apart the blower motor and see what's up. The air duct is located where?
Old 07-14-17, 05:32 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Did you guys take it to a shop or do it yourself? In the blower fan area?
A shop. Someone was smart enough to run a scope down the vents, and finally saw the rodent nest. Cleaned it out, sprayed with disinfectant. All was good. Don't remember the exact location, but was stuffed full of paper shreds, turds, etc.
Old 07-15-17, 05:28 PM
janterry15
Rookie

Try a aftermarket evaporator cleaning foam and diy or have lexus do the cleaning foam again.
Old 07-18-17, 10:01 AM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I tried that Meguiar's air freshener product where you crank on its self-spraying nozzle and then run the AC with the recirc on for 10-15min, windows up. So far after 4 days, the car still smells fresh, but that mildew smell can be reduced by running your fan without the AC 5 minutes before getting home.
Old 07-18-17, 10:46 AM
Lveyolfe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sybaritic
I tried that Meguiar's air freshener product where you crank on its self-spraying nozzle and then run the AC with the recirc on for 10-15min, windows up. So far after 4 days, the car still smells fresh, but that mildew smell can be reduced by running your fan without the AC 5 minutes before getting home.
I've done that twice. It takes care of the in cabin smell but once the vents turn on, game over
Old 07-21-17, 06:40 PM
janterry15
Rookie

I've done that twice. It takes care of the in cabin smell but once the vents turn on, game over
Interesting. Get someone to inspect it with a camera in the through the vents. You could have something that died inside or you have some nasty mold/**** on your evaporator coil that doesn't come off. Either way, let us know when you find out!

Quick Reply: Nasty smelling air