IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Special Order Scam

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-17, 05:33 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 239 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Special Order Scam

so i casually go onto lexus of cherry hill's site to check on their inventory because when i'm bored i like to see what they have and such. i click onto IS300 and notice that there is an ultrasonic blue IS with black interior that looks just like mine, so i click on it. i go through the pictures and notice that i see the mark levinson audio on the console. immidiately, i go into shock i thought there was no way it could have been my special ordered car and as it is a fact, it was. although i love my current IS300 to death, i'm disappointed in lexus of cherry hill's service to scam me into my current car now, rather than just telling me i would have to wait until july to receive my baby. the only reason i knew this was MY car is because it had every special ordered option i got, and had the mark levinson audio which can only be special ordered on the IS300. the order "disappeared" from systems in may, and the vin of this car and my special order match exactly...

Last edited by jmull3r; 07-07-17 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-07-17, 05:54 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Deep breath... They're advertising a car they don't have? Using pics of yours? That's what I'm trying to piece together from your rambling.
Old 07-07-17, 06:08 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Maybe at the time that you ordered your car, it had to be special order and now it doesn't.
Old 07-07-17, 06:17 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Deep breath... They're advertising a car they don't have? Using pics of yours? That's what I'm trying to piece together from your rambling.
no they received my special order car, but sold me a different IS in may because my special order "disappeared" from their systems, but not they somehow have it at the dealership
Old 07-07-17, 06:18 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Originally Posted by doodlebug
Maybe at the time that you ordered your car, it had to be special order and now it doesn't.
i don't think so, since the IS is still in it's 2017 model year, if it was a 2018 then it would make more sense, but the vins match exactly because the order was far enough for me to receive the vin, the car just never came until now
Old 07-07-17, 06:35 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by jmull3r
i don't think so, since the IS is still in it's 2017 model year, if it was a 2018 then it would make more sense, but the vins match exactly because the order was far enough for me to receive the vin, the car just never came until now
if you were at the point of having the full final VIN then the car was only days away from the dealer. With my LC order for example, the last 9 of the VIN were internal pre-build reference number. Once I got the actual VIN it was out of production and ready for the boat, 2-3 weeks away from dealer (from the overall 3 month order time).
Old 07-07-17, 08:15 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
So when you were advised that your special order "disappeared" from their system, was there any follow up - like; What does that mean? Was the car made? Is it on its way but just not visible to the system? Did the dealer do any research to attempt to find it?
Believe me it happens. I ordered a very expensive German car once, and it too disappeared (at the dock in Germany). They could't locate it, or so they say, and once they did 3 weeks later, I cancelled. Huge red flag when something like that happens, as you know something bad happened.
Old 07-07-17, 08:19 PM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Were you charged a "Special Order" premium then? In any case, they must have wasted quite abit of your time.
Old 07-07-17, 08:23 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Hold on.. If you had received a VIN for your special order.. did you not check it with the car you drove home? Shouldn't that be the first red flag that the car you order and received is totally different?

You could had refused delivery at that point, and made sure you got the car you had ordered. You were being impatient, and took home a different car. I would had gone APE SHT if I ordered and not got what I wanted.

I am also wondering if you had paid the premium and the extra ~1.5k for the ML with the car you brought home. Was paper work finalized during the order, or at the point when the car arrived?

Off topic, TIMBOIS.. WTF DO YOU DO FOR A LIVING?! A Lambo and now a LC?!

Last edited by nathantse; 07-07-17 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-07-17, 08:38 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse
Hold on.. If you had received a VIN for your special order.. did you not check it with the car you drove home? Shouldn't that be the first red flag that the car you order and received is totally different?

You could had refused delivery at that point, and made sure you got the car you had ordered. You were being impatient, and took home a different car. I would had gone APE SHT if I ordered and not got what I wanted.

I am also wondering if you had paid the premium and the extra ~1.5k for the ML with the car you brought home. Was paper work finalized during the order, or at the point when the car arrived?

The car he purchased isn't the one he special ordered, and he knows that. He mentioned that his order disappeared from the system, so he probably purchased a different one and now he see's the vehicle he special ordered listed for sale.
Old 07-07-17, 09:09 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by premier3IS
The car he purchased isn't the one he special ordered, and he knows that. He mentioned that his order disappeared from the system, so he probably purchased a different one and now he see's the vehicle he special ordered listed for sale.
now i get it thanks for your explanation
Old 07-07-17, 09:18 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Solara350
now i get it thanks for your explanation
I was responding to the person I quoted who said "Hold on.. If you had received a VIN for your special order.. did you not check it with the car you drove home? Shouldn't that be the first red flag that the car you order and received is totally different?" I thought he may have misunderstood what OP posted because jmull3r knew he didn't take home the same car. Didn't quote you, no need to get smart lol

Last edited by premier3IS; 07-07-17 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-07-17, 09:20 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by premier3IS
I was responding to the person I quoted who said "Hold on.. If you had received a VIN for your special order.. did you not check it with the car you drove home? Shouldn't that be the first red flag that the car you order and received is totally different?" I thought he may have misunderstood what OP posted because jmull3r knew he didn't take home the same car. Didn't quote you, no need to get smart lol
In that case, I wouldn't call it a scam. He explicitly knew what he was getting and paying for.

If he had really wanted that car he order, he should had waited for the dealership to find my car, or at least provide a solid explanation of what happened. Just saying, sht happens in a dealership. So yeah.
Old 07-07-17, 09:30 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

In that case, I wouldn't call it a scam. He explicitly knew what he was getting and paying for.

If he had really wanted that car he order, he should had waited for the dealership to find my car, or at least provide a solid explanation of what happened. Just saying, sht happens in a dealership. So yeah.
Right, my thoughts exactly. I also could be wrong but that's what I understood from his post.
Old 07-08-17, 03:45 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

no, after the car disappeared from the systems, the salesman sent me another IS that was on the ship that had every option i ordered, except the ML audio, so i went with that car because i did not want to have another 3 month wait

Quick Reply: Special Order Scam