IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2018 TLX vs 2017 IS

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-17, 12:35 PM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I used to be a Honda fan boy, but their lack of innovation over the last two decades has driven their customers away.
Look at Acura, the last thing they did was renamed the TSX to ILX and added an X to all their cars. Lame.
Their cars are extremely boring, catering to baby boomers while neglecting the younger generations seeking to buy cars.
Honda is doing ok, but Acura is in desperate need of new management.
Old 06-27-17, 12:53 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,035 Posts

They did not change the name of the TSX to the ILX. The TSX and ILX were sold side by side for 2 years or so if I remember right. The TSX was based off the Accord and the ILX off of the Civic. The Civic based ILX continues but they merged the TSX and TL into one car, the TLX.

And I think they've done a great job with the NSX, which I would happily drive.

I think their real weakness is in the RLX, but that's a different thread all together.
Old 06-27-17, 12:55 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by 600rr
I used to be a Honda fan boy, but their lack of innovation over the last two decades has driven their customers away.
Look at Acura, the last thing they did was renamed the TSX to ILX and added an X to all their cars. Lame.
Their cars are extremely boring, catering to baby boomers while neglecting the younger generations seeking to buy cars.
Honda is doing ok, but Acura is in desperate need of new management.
Not even lol

2001 they reached a peak (Integra Type R, Civic SiR, Prelude Type-SH, S2000, etc), they should have kept that going, I probably wouldn't be driving a Toyota/Lexus if they did. They decided to go for a greener environment mentality and look where that got them... All the fans and people that bought the Honda's back then ditched them for other brands, which also cater to a greener environment, the irony.
Old 06-27-17, 09:07 PM
cFoo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GeorgeR
Not even lol

2001 they reached a peak (Integra Type R, Civic SiR, Prelude Type-SH, S2000, etc), they should have kept that going, I probably wouldn't be driving a Toyota/Lexus if they did. They decided to go for a greener environment mentality and look where that got them... All the fans and people that bought the Honda's back then ditched them for other brands, which also cater to a greener environment, the irony.
Amen! I had a Prelude Type-SH, and then the S2000. Honda gave me no other choice but to get into the IS. Their last CEO killed the brand, it will take them another 10years to recover. The Civic Type R is a start. Hopefully their F1 program won't bankrupt them before they get to a new S2000!
Old 06-28-17, 04:42 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,700 Likes on 1,786 Posts

OP - I have had the same dilemma. I have owned a 2006 TSX, 2009 TSX, 2012 TL, 2013 RDX and 2014 ILX, so needless to say, I loved my Acura! When the TLX came out, I was set on gettting one but the ZF 9 speed unit pushed me to my 2015 IS 350 F sport. At first, I missed the Acura but after reading all the issues on the TLX, I was delighted I went to Lexus.

Fast forward to June 1st 2017 - My dealer offered me the opportunity to get into a 2017 IS 350 F Sport and was REALLY debating getting the new TLX. Overall, styling wise, I love the new TLX, in fact, I love the pre-MMC styling but the ASpec is awesome. I am still worried about the ZF unit despite everyone saying its MUCH better. For me, the dealer breaker was my concern over the ZF unit and the interior. While its not bad, I just love the cozier and more ergo friendly interior of the IS. I will wait to see what the FMC of the TLX brings before I consider going back to Acura.

While many love the push-button gear selector, I find it goofy looking and missing holding on to a gear shifter....that is just me though
Old 06-29-17, 06:45 PM
The350Girl
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1992-2001 Honda Prelude and Civic were the best of all time, 2004-2008 Acura TL was awesome, S2000 was an outstanding roadster back in Y2K. Honda killed their sale in 2004+ with Transmission issue and bad modeling, 2004 Acura TL brought their sale back until 2009, 2009 Acura TL looked like crap and no one buys, in the meantime Toyota doing well with Corolla and Camry, Lexus doing well with IS/GS, i like both Lexus and Acura brands, either TL or IS/GS they are the best compare to European.

2017 TLX is nice but different drivers different opinion, TLX has better handling and comfort/convenience, IS has better Sport Performance and styling, No one is perfect you win this you loose that you can't have it all !

PS: 2017 TLX Aspec you'll pay less $$ than 2017 IS350 F-sport 3 AWD, TLX Aspec makes 295-300HP 3.5L, with the price of 2017 TLX Aspec you can only buy a IS200T with 255HP i4 Turbo of course slower than TLX.

Top the line 2018 Acura TLX Elte Aspec SH-AWD only 47.100.50$ Canadian dollars , Based IS200t RWD is 40.150$ Canadian dollars, you need to get IS350 Fsport 3 AWD to compare with Top of the Line Aspec TLX SH-AWD. and IS350 AWD Fsport based is 53.350$ Candian Dollars.

Last edited by The350Girl; 06-29-17 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-29-17, 07:37 PM
IS200TFOWL
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

I think you guys should be comparing the gs350 to the TLX, they're closer in length and size. Whereas the is350/200t should be compared with a ILX in terms of size. It seems unfair but it's more of a comparison when you look at the actual lengths and widths. Manufacturers always have they're niche, to bad the ILX isn't turbocharged yet. It'll probably take a 14-15' IS250 tho
Old 06-29-17, 07:44 PM
IS200TFOWL
Advanced

Proof?
Old 06-29-17, 11:27 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by MCR
I test drove a 2018 Aspec Shawd before getting my IS. The tlx had a much more comfortable back seat. The Tlx has a much more thought out interior design, more storage like sunglasses holder and the cubby under the center stack. the armrest is much wider so its not a problem for the driver and passenger putting their elbow on it. The center console is actually usable compared to the tiny one in the lexus. While both infotainment systems are kinda crappy, the tlx is good bit more useful, especially with android auto. The IS interior has noticeably better build quality, where the leather trim on the door can shift can be pushed in on acura with the touch of ur hand whereas the lexus is solid. Driving wise, the acura engine is something I prefer, but the transmission is a bit slower than the 8sp in the IS. The major problem I had is that the chassis and suspension quality were much better on the lexus. Pushing it in the corners, the car kept its line well and didn't buckle around on bad roads at higher speeds. The tlx at those same speeds on those same roads would bounce around a bit. The acura also had too little travel on the throttle, making the car a little jumpy at parking lot speeds. As the car would be just me driving around alone most of the time. I don't have kids, and if my friends are uncomfortable, I don't care. If one would need to have more space than in the lexus, and is willing to compromise a bit in driving feel, then the Acura is a solid choice
Definitely agree on the practicality of the TLX interior design. One of the frustrating bits in the IS is the lack of storage. Tiny armrest, awkward cupholders, no sunglasses storage, nowhere to put your phone and wallet.

Ride quality was about the same for me. The TLX's noise cancellation technology helps at reducing the suspension noises which I think has a perceived effect on ride quality.

I don't think rear seat comfort is super important for me, but the space is nice. That said, none of my co-workers are eager to hop in the IS when we go out for lunch.
Old 06-29-17, 11:41 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks for all the responses from everyone. This feedback is great!

Originally Posted by wthrman2
OP - I have had the same dilemma. I have owned a 2006 TSX, 2009 TSX, 2012 TL, 2013 RDX and 2014 ILX, so needless to say, I loved my Acura! When the TLX came out, I was set on gettting one but the ZF 9 speed unit pushed me to my 2015 IS 350 F sport. At first, I missed the Acura but after reading all the issues on the TLX, I was delighted I went to Lexus.

Fast forward to June 1st 2017 - My dealer offered me the opportunity to get into a 2017 IS 350 F Sport and was REALLY debating getting the new TLX. Overall, styling wise, I love the new TLX, in fact, I love the pre-MMC styling but the ASpec is awesome. I am still worried about the ZF unit despite everyone saying its MUCH better. For me, the dealer breaker was my concern over the ZF unit and the interior. While its not bad, I just love the cozier and more ergo friendly interior of the IS. I will wait to see what the FMC of the TLX brings before I consider going back to Acura.

While many love the push-button gear selector, I find it goofy looking and missing holding on to a gear shifter....that is just me though
I came from a family on Honda owners and used to have TSX. The TSX was awesome and the 2ng gen IS was just way too small at the time. I really like the new A-Spec styling but share the same concerns with the ZF transmission. Also hate the electronic gear selector; felt and looked very cheap. Plus, there was a noticeable delay when shifting from R to D after backing out of a parking spot. Call me old school, but I think 9-speeds is just excessive for any car not meant for racing. The transmission was smooth and predictable but the gears are so closely spaced and the number of shifts just seems unnecessary in normal urban traffic.

Originally Posted by The350Girl
1992-2001 Honda Prelude and Civic were the best of all time, 2004-2008 Acura TL was awesome, S2000 was an outstanding roadster back in Y2K. Honda killed their sale in 2004+ with Transmission issue and bad modeling, 2004 Acura TL brought their sale back until 2009, 2009 Acura TL looked like crap and no one buys, in the meantime Toyota doing well with Corolla and Camry, Lexus doing well with IS/GS, i like both Lexus and Acura brands, either TL or IS/GS they are the best compare to European.

2017 TLX is nice but different drivers different opinion, TLX has better handling and comfort/convenience, IS has better Sport Performance and styling, No one is perfect you win this you loose that you can't have it all !

PS: 2017 TLX Aspec you'll pay less $$ than 2017 IS350 F-sport 3 AWD, TLX Aspec makes 295-300HP 3.5L, with the price of 2017 TLX Aspec you can only buy a IS200T with 255HP i4 Turbo of course slower than TLX.

Top the line 2018 Acura TLX Elte Aspec SH-AWD only 47.100.50$ Canadian dollars , Based IS200t RWD is 40.150$ Canadian dollars, you need to get IS350 Fsport 3 AWD to compare with Top of the Line Aspec TLX SH-AWD. and IS350 AWD Fsport based is 53.350$ Candian Dollars.
Value wise, the TLX is hard to beat. Lots of features (some of which are not even offered on the IS) and gadgets. However, local dealers here are unwilling to budge on the 2018 TLX. They have pre-sold several units even and my desired color and trim combo (if I were to go ahead), wouldn't arrive until late July/early August.

Originally Posted by IS200TFOWL
I think you guys should be comparing the gs350 to the TLX, they're closer in length and size. Whereas the is350/200t should be compared with a ILX in terms of size. It seems unfair but it's more of a comparison when you look at the actual lengths and widths. Manufacturers always have they're niche, to bad the ILX isn't turbocharged yet. It'll probably take a 14-15' IS250 tho
The class lines are becoming more and more blurred for sure. However, I am comparing the TLX and IS on the basis of price (in Canada). GS pricing starts are the top TLX trim here. Similarly, an IS 200t starts at 40k CAD whereas an ILX starts at $30k CAD. Money talks.
Old 06-30-17, 07:32 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,894 Likes on 1,967 Posts

Originally Posted by computerwi
I don't think rear seat comfort is super important for me, but the space is nice. That said, none of my co-workers are eager to hop in the IS when we go out for lunch.
Odd, I don't seem to have that problem where I work. When we go out for team lunches, seems like I end up driving 75% of the time in spite of the fact that my team has 6 people, most of which have sedans (except for one who has an Explorer and another who has a Mustang). Then again, depends on your seat adjustment. It's possible to have the IS front seats ridiculously far back, to where I, at 5'11", can barely touch the pedals. The rear foot/legroom becomes nonexistent at that point obviously. When the seats are adjusted reasonably, the back seats are not something you can stretch out in but quite comfortable for my frame, probably fine for brief trips.
Old 06-30-17, 12:04 PM
IS200TFOWL
Advanced

If you cannot afford a gs350 and are stretching for a tlx then obviously you've found a car that works for your budget. It appears to be a budget issue, not because of size and length. Nothing against the tlx it's nice, just reminds me of a big boat. lets not compare a civic to an accord in terms of size, apples to apples boys.
Old 07-01-17, 01:37 PM
theoryguy3
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The TLX is a pretty big car, I feel like the Lexus IS200t/300/350 appeals to people that want something more compact.
The following 2 users liked this post by theoryguy3:
IS200TFOWL (07-01-17), wthrman2 (07-01-17)
Old 07-12-17, 07:10 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by theoryguy3
The TLX is a pretty big car, I feel like the Lexus IS200t/300/350 appeals to people that want something more compact.
The new Accords are big cars.
Old 07-13-17, 01:05 PM
IS200TFOWL
Advanced

Originally Posted by dizlex
The new Accords are big cars.
Yeah the accord is actually a pretty big car, it sounds weird but the IS is about the same size of a civic.

Quick Reply: 2018 TLX vs 2017 IS