IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

track day prep?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-17, 05:39 AM
xboxfan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default track day prep?

Bringing my IS300 AWD to a track day event -- 4 20-minute paced laps.

It's got 9000 miles, 11 months since purchase.

Should I take it to a mechanic prior to the event? If so what do I ask them to do? If not, just assume at 9000 miles major issues should be fine?

What should I do myself? Here's what I can think of:
Add air to tires. Make sure wheel bolts are tight
Bring a quart of oil and add it. before, during, or after event?

Should I get the 10k service before the event, or just wait until after?

Any settings I should have set on the car?
Old 06-13-17, 06:46 AM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Fresh oil, check the brakes, see if a catch can is required. Bring a helmet, don't tell Lexus you tracked the car.
Old 06-13-17, 06:49 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by xboxfan
Bringing my IS300 AWD to a track day event -- 4 20-minute paced laps.

It's got 9000 miles, 11 months since purchase.

Should I take it to a mechanic prior to the event? If so what do I ask them to do? If not, just assume at 9000 miles major issues should be fine?

What should I do myself? Here's what I can think of:
Add air to tires. Make sure wheel bolts are tight
Bring a quart of oil and add it. before, during, or after event?

Should I get the 10k service before the event, or just wait until after?

Any settings I should have set on the car?
9k miles will mean your oil is old. I'd change it before and do another at 15k. I'd also consider bringing some front brake pads in case it runs out during the track sessions. F-Sports are notorious for excessive brake wear.
Old 06-13-17, 10:01 AM
redspencer
OG Member
Forum Moderator

Received 541 Likes on 320 Posts

I would recommend leaving your tire pressure at the OEM recommended cold settings or 1-2 psi lower as you'll likely see an increase of 6-8 psi after a few laps around the track. Bring a tire pressure gauge as well as a portable tire inflator with you and immediately check the tire pressures after the first 20 minute session is over. A good tire pressure range to be at when the tires are hot is either around 40-42psi or 42-44psi (depending on which track guru you ask). Also make sure you have plenty of tire tread and brake pad life before you go to the track.

If you're using conventional motor oil instead of synthetic, I would recommend changing your old oil prior to this event as your engine will be enduring lots of abuse via very high temperatures. If you plan on tracking more than once with your car, I would recommend switching to a good brand of synthetic oil.

Bring plenty of water, snacks, and a way to stay under the shade like a hat so you don't get too fatigued with the summer heat.

Lastly, make sure you follow these basic high-performance driving tips:

Have fun!

Last edited by redspencer; 06-13-17 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-13-17, 01:00 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

The stock setups are meant for street and not so great for the track. It take some work to properly run your car in the track. It just isn't fun if you are looking to set consistent lap times.

The factory alignment setups are tuned for massive understeering. So I would get at least a pair of rear camber kit to dial down the rear cambers. The factory tires will go after 2-3 laps, you really need some track day tires or at least max performance tires. The brakes are not that bad though, I would still change the fluids. And change your oil prior to going to track day.

Last edited by jkonquer; 06-13-17 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-13-17, 06:09 PM
bill98388
Driver School Candidate

In my opinion...sure, it is time to change the oil before the track day, then check tire pressure and wheel lug nut torque, that should do it. You are not racing, it is a track day, you mentioned paced laps. The video link above is good. You will probably get some help or instructions at the track. Is this SCCA Track Night in America? What track?

Have fun, your car will do fine.
Bill
2014 is350
First in class 100 mph Nevada Open Road Challenge 2017
Old 06-13-17, 10:30 PM
forum429
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do a fresh oil change with at least 5W30 depends on how hard you drive.
Thicker oil if needed.
The stock 0W20 is the thinnest oil available and it's not meant for extreme condition eg. track condition which engine temp will be high.
High performance summer tires because the stock Bridgestone is just gonna ruin the fun on the track.
Stainless Steel Brake line with brake fluid flush and high performance brake pads is recommended.
Basically fluid change, brake prep and summer tires.
And do another fluid change after the event

SCCBC member/ ASN CANADA FIA license holder
Old 06-14-17, 06:57 AM
james1101
Driver School Candidate

Not to hijack the thread but on the same theme are there recommendations for a good track only brake pad for the is350?
Old 06-14-17, 08:40 AM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

Don't know if they have them for is250/350

ebc yellows or hps hawk blue are what my friends use. Just in general I have always had great luck with HPS Hawk pads for daily driving as well.
Old 06-14-17, 08:46 AM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

Also drop all the weight you can. Pull the spare and all the crap in the trunk.
Old 06-14-17, 10:30 PM
forum429
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hawk does not make brake pads for IS350.
I ran EBC yellow before the grip was outstanding.
However, after 2 track days and a few months of normal street driving the edge of the pads disintegrated when I took them off.
There are not many track only brake pads available for IS350.
The only one I can find is Porterfield R4 and Raybesto.
Otherwise the closest to a track pad would be EBC Yellowstuff or Stoptech Sport and I would prefer EBC yellowstuff over Stoptech.
Old 06-20-17, 03:17 AM
canibeat
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Disable the traction control and have fun! Curious to know how the AWD performs on the track.
Old 06-20-17, 08:13 AM
hovik92
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have a Costco membership, take your car there and ask the Costco tire shop to replace the air in your tires with Nitrogen. It's like $2.50 a tire but you avoid PSI changes on the track. I would recommend making an appointment ahead of time to avoid a long wait. Also take off your license plates or put paper plates over them because some insurance companies send representatives to the track to get license plates of cars that go on tracks and if they see you there, they either raise your premium or report to the dealership that the car has been tracked. Good luck and stay safe out there. As far as brakes and oil goes, brakes should be fine since you only have 9k miles and get an oil change if you haven't gotten it in the last 5k miles. If you have gotten it within the 5k miles, change your oil after your track day. Wear a helmet, some grippy gloves, and some grippy sole shoes. Have fun and good luck!
Old 06-20-17, 09:03 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Here''s a track starter thread one of our moderators created that'll give you a good punchlist

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/roa...d-to-know.html

Originally Posted by hovik92
If you have a Costco membership, take your car there and ask the Costco tire shop to replace the air in your tires with Nitrogen. It's like $2.50 a tire but you avoid PSI changes on the track. I would recommend making an appointment ahead of time to avoid a long wait. Also take off your license plates or put paper plates over them because some insurance companies send representatives to the track to get license plates of cars that go on tracks and if they see you there, they either raise your premium or report to the dealership that the car has been tracked. Good luck and stay safe out there. As far as brakes and oil goes, brakes should be fine since you only have 9k miles and get an oil change if you haven't gotten it in the last 5k miles. If you have gotten it within the 5k miles, change your oil after your track day. Wear a helmet, some grippy gloves, and some grippy sole shoes. Have fun and good luck!
On the nitrogen, don't recommend it for your first outing because you won't know what PSI works best for you on track, and 95% likely isn't a nitrogen tank there to inflate if you need more PSI as you +/- finding out what's ideal for you and the track. Take notes on what works best and switch to Nitrogen later. If you've already got it in your tires, just leave it but be aware you might need to add some once you get on track.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-20-17 at 09:08 AM.