IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Buying an IS200t Out-Of-State (From Texas to California)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-17, 12:12 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by SantiP
That's nice! So you can register your car at your insurance company office, too? Or is that only something AAA provides for members?
that's a AAA perk, I don't use them for insurance, only road side service.
Old 04-02-17, 07:52 PM
SantiP
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
You get 15, 30 days with dealer tags right. I forget the length of time but yes, you can drive it.
I just checked the tag and it says it's been temporarily registered in the state of Texas.

Does it mean I can still drive it in California legally?
Old 04-02-17, 10:19 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I just checked the tag and it says it's been temporarily registered in the state of Texas.

Does it mean I can still drive it in California legally?
Yes. You have some period of time before those temp tags expire. Even if it's in Texas.
Old 04-05-17, 05:13 PM
SantiP
Rookie

Originally Posted by EZZ
A lot of misinformation going on here. I bought a Texas car and had it shipped here. I didn't pay any sales tax in Texas as I told the dealer I would be using it in California. I had it smogged in Cali and then got it registered though the DMV and paid the sales tax at the same time as registration.

Easy process and the only difference is that you waste a little time doing the smog check and DMV registration.
Do you know how can I find smog places near me?
I checked Smog test stations on the DMV website and none showed up near my county/city/zip-code. I found it weird! Searched it on the following link: -
https://www.bar.ca.gov/pubwebquery/s...ationlist.aspx

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Could you suggest some reliable places where I can get this done?
Old 04-05-17, 05:21 PM
SantiP
Rookie

Also, I found the following link which shows a few places when I enter my zip-code: -

http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/smog-check.php

But I'm not sure if they are reliable. Do they need to be DMV-approved or something?
Old 04-05-17, 05:22 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Do you know how can I find smog places near me?
I checked Smog test stations on the DMV website and none showed up near my county/city/zip-code. I found it weird! Searched it on the following link: -
https://www.bar.ca.gov/pubwebquery/s...ationlist.aspx

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Could you suggest some reliable places where I can get this done?
Smog checks are so commoditized that any place can do it right. You should state where you live so someone on this forum could recommend some places. If you live in San Diego, there is a whole street with a ton of smog places called Miramar road. Try posting in the So-cal forums to see if anyone can give you a recommendation.
Old 04-05-17, 05:24 PM
SantiP
Rookie

Originally Posted by EZZ
Smog checks are so commoditized that any place can do it right. You should state where you live so someone on this forum could recommend some places. If you live in San Diego, there is a whole street with a ton of smog places called Miramar road. Try posting in the So-cal forums to see if anyone can give you a recommendation.
I stay in Nor. Cal in Santa Clara County. Do you know any places there?

Also, I heard that the results are automatically synced up with the VIN of my car and they'll show up when I go to the DMV to register it. But is this true irrespective of where I do the smog test from?
Old 04-05-17, 05:28 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Also, I heard that the results are automatically synced up with the VIN of my car and they'll show up when I go to the DMV to register it. But is this true irrespective of where I do the smog test from?
Yeah. I'd still ask for the paperwork so i have proof. I don't any places in No Cal so maybe a member here can help you out.
Old 04-05-17, 08:30 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Why don't you just Google smog test only places near your area, get some names and just check reviews on Yelp... No need to use the DMV site to help you find them.

And yes, its synced to the DMV. like someone else said, just ask for paperwork for proof.
Old 04-05-17, 08:36 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Im in So-Cal, how do you view the so-cal forum? I'd like to check it out but don't see where to navigate to?
Old 04-05-17, 09:17 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by premier3IS
Im in So-Cal, how do you view the so-cal forum? I'd like to check it out but don't see where to navigate to?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...alifornia-149/
Old 04-05-17, 11:38 PM
SantiP
Rookie

Originally Posted by mjeds
out of state transfer of title or anytime in state a car is sold after the initial purchase requires a smog test, even if said car is under the 7 year mark and brand new, transfer of ownership requires a smog test, which test is determined by that nifty sticker.

they won't provide you with a certificate, everything is electronically transferred, the test results will be linked to your VIN and sent to the DMV, you can get smogged and go register within an hour. I just went through this with my niece, she was staying in Texas with her dance company and decided to buy a car out there, but her home is here in Socal, so she bought there, registered here, and drove home, her car was a 50 state, so we paid $70 for the test only and the taxes and registration at our AAA office (I hate the DMV).
Hey there! So I checked under the hood and found this sticker there. It says California ULEV125.
Any idea if that means I don't need to smog it?
Attached Thumbnails Buying an IS200t Out-Of-State (From Texas to California)-img_20170405_225823.jpg  
Old 04-05-17, 11:39 PM
SantiP
Rookie

Originally Posted by premier3IS
Why don't you just Google smog test only places near your area, get some names and just check reviews on Yelp... No need to use the DMV site to help you find them.

And yes, its synced to the DMV. like someone else said, just ask for paperwork for proof.
Okay, I'll give it a try. Thanks!
Old 04-05-17, 11:45 PM
SantiP
Rookie

Originally Posted by EZZ
Also, I read that I can even get my out-of-state vehicle registered at one of these smog stations.
Is that safe and reliable? Or is it better to do that at the DMV itself? (Sorry for being over-cautious - I'm quite inexperienced about this process)
Old 04-06-17, 10:36 AM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Hey there! So I checked under the hood and found this sticker there. It says California ULEV125.
Any idea if that means I don't need to smog it?
looks like you're good to go to me.

Quick Reply: Buying an IS200t Out-Of-State (From Texas to California)