IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Winjet F Sport foglights

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-17, 01:10 PM
RocketG35
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Do you have beam pattern photos? And how is the overall output (understanding that it is a 4300K halogen out of the box).
Old 03-20-17, 01:40 PM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Photos of cutoff and pattern please?

I'm still searching for a good fitment fog lights. So far, member experiences tells it is hit and miss with all other brands being used on here.
If this is a good fit, plan to change to 60W H11 LED and get an oem button from toyota for around $50. Never seen a good after market button before.
When you said you used OEM light switch, do you mean you tapped to the DRL lights?
Old 03-20-17, 02:06 PM
Phamkq
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The lightbulb that came with it is Suprisingly very bright! I'll be uploading a dash cam video soon when I remember With a before fogs and after fogs installed. But then again that's also because my headlights are tinted

Ill be switching to a 55W sylvannia ZXE this week for a "whiter light"

The light output is based on the h11 bulb you buy

Winjet F Sport foglights-photo573.jpgWinjet F Sport foglights-photo887.jpg
Old 03-20-17, 04:03 PM
600rr
Pole Position

Thanks for the picture.
Light pattern looks kinda "choppy", does it? Hard to tell from that angle.
How does the pattern compare to the Spyder?
Old 03-20-17, 04:51 PM
Stevent
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the spyder fog lights and the fitment was perfect for me. Based on the pictures here it looks like the beam color are pretty close to the spyder ones that I have. I'm not a fan of the fog light covers for this set though.
Old 03-20-17, 10:02 PM
Phamkq
Driver

Remember, your light and beam is based on the lightbulb you put in! Direct plug and play, simple.

You can literally take out and plug in a different lightbulb. The one they gave me is actually very bright and wide while driving but doesn't project as far. That is why I am changing the bulbs (and also because I want 5/6k colors)
Old 03-21-17, 08:22 AM
Chrispies
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Phamkq
Remember, your light and beam is based on the lightbulb you put in! Direct plug and play, simple.

You can literally take out and plug in a different lightbulb. The one they gave me is actually very bright and wide while driving but doesn't project as far. That is why I am changing the bulbs (and also because I want 5/6k colors)
I agree that the light (brightness/color temp) and beam is dependent on the type of bulb. But if you replace the H11 halogen bulbs that were included w/ another set of 5/6k halogen bulbs, the projected distance will remain the same. The only difference will be the color temperature. But if you replace it with an HID kit or LED H11 replacement then that's a different story.
Old 03-21-17, 08:35 AM
Phamkq
Driver

Hmmm learn something new everyday.

But from own personal experience, I had the OEM headlight lightbulb replaced with the OSRAM CBI d4s bulbs (philips were too Blue to me, I wanted a straight white) . It made a huge difference and projected at least an extra 10 feet (4300k stock to about 5500 CBI osram). It just didn't shoot as wide as OEM
Old 03-21-17, 08:53 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrispies
I agree that the light (brightness/color temp) and beam is dependent on the type of bulb. But if you replace the H11 halogen bulbs that were included w/ another set of 5/6k halogen bulbs, the projected distance will remain the same. The only difference will be the color temperature. But if you replace it with an HID kit or LED H11 replacement then that's a different story.

Some H11 LED's the same shade as the DRL would be PERFECT. I had these in my honda Accord fogs. However because the housing was reflective they were far too bright I only used them on dark roads with no oncoming traffic.

http://www.madhornets.com/2x-h8-h9-h...CC4aAl1Q8P8HAQ

At the price these are worth the shot. I see no reason to put HID in the fogs when even the low/high beam is LED.
Old 03-21-17, 12:36 PM
RocketG35
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrispies
Also, I believe the projector glass lens will actually make a difference. Back in the day, Acura TSX headlight lenses and cut offs were in high demand for aftermarket HID headlight conversions. Their optical quality was super high and it produced a super sharp cut-off, delivering a sharp defined clean blue line vs fuzzy dull lines. Here's an example of beam patterns affected by quality of lens. This isn't a photo of the IS - just a reference photo I found online.

Old 03-21-17, 02:17 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,570 Posts

Responding to this: "Remember, your light and beam is based on the lightbulb you put in! Direct plug and play, simple."

Eh, not really how that works.

The projection is based on lens/reflector/projector design (called projection unit) in combination with bulb placement. It's extremely critical and costly done properly. Manufactures have 7 and 8 figures locked up in proprietary trade secret information on exact bulb/projection design systems. It's a critical science. Not as simple as tossing whatever you want in whatever you want to get good results.

Anyway I saw this too, on eBay. The actual projectors themselves look similar to Ford Fusion projectors (known quality candidate for HID plug and play). The design of the cover looks kinda chintzy for a Lexus. On eBay they do sell the covers (OEM style) separately now. but not much cheaper than OEM ones.

Still searching for that optimum fog solution for our cars.

Lexus gave us CRAPPY proprietary fog light holes in the F sport bumper. Does not align well at all with known/traditional Toyota/Lexus standard fogs theyve been using 10 years + (or such as on the IS non F-Sport models). GREAT options for those, but so far, hacky options for F Sport owners.
Old 03-21-17, 04:04 PM
600rr
Pole Position

^^ True.
Beam pattern are not associated to the light bulb. This may be true for reflector housing but not Projectors.
With cheap projector lens, the light bounce in between the layers of glass and creates scattered beam patterns (yes, plural).
The better ones focus the light into a single beam and this is very hard to accomplish.
I don't expect these cheap kits to have a nice pattern so still a bit hesitant to pull the trigger.
Old 03-22-17, 05:58 PM
ediaz87
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by specONE
Not sure why i'm seeing that people state the Spyder Brand ones have horrible fitment but when i look at photos of it online it is a direct copy of the OEM JDM ones down to everything as if it had 3d Scanned it to make it.
But i've also not personally held a set of Spyder in person.
I ordered a set of spyders a couple weeks back. Waiting for them to come in due to being on back order. Will post pictures as soon as i install them.
Old 03-25-17, 12:28 AM
MatrixPC
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Phamkq
Installed them today. Fitment is MUCH better than the Spyder ones. Very one small and minor gap. The adjustment hole is very handy, just stick in a Phillips and adjust it any way you want.

You're paying $140 for the covers, wiring, and housing really since the light bulbs are changeable which was a HUGE PLUS for me.

The h11 bulbs that came with it is 4300k so theyre daytime lights - yellowish. Will be getting 6000k ones soon.

Attachment 406018Attachment 406016Attachment 406017
I also ordered a set. When I try to install it, the projector's bracket holes doesn't line up with the fog light bracket's holes 10mm bolts.
Did you had to make any modification or they bolt right on? I'm thinking of removing the fog light support bracket and attach the fog light to the bumper.
Any tip on removing the fog light support bracket? After remove 3 - 10mm bolts and Phillips screw on the bottom left (for driver side light), I still unable to remove that support bracket.
Thanks
Old 03-25-17, 02:53 AM
Phamkq
Driver

Hmmm that is wierd, no modification at all. The brackets fit perfectly into the bumpers.

Quick Reply: Winjet F Sport foglights