Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Looks good and No Front Plate looks even Better
Old 03-27-17, 07:42 AM
thehank
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NFSIS350
When you vinyl wrapped your window trim, did you just wrap the chrome or did you also cover the black area below the trim and above the window?
Yes, I covered it all and pushed in with the felt side of the plastic tool. There's a slight indent, but looks nice.
I meant to post closer photos. I debated it but felt there would be cleaner lines to cover the plastic as well. Because it would add to the difficulty and you'd be sure to slice through the current chrome. Same goes for the back door plastic panels.
Old 03-29-17, 03:29 AM
kh29228
Driver School Candidate

When you wrapped, did you use one piece of vinyl per door and then cut off the excess or did you use some rectangular pieces?
Old 03-29-17, 10:01 AM
thehank
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kh29228
When you wrapped, did you use one piece of vinyl per door and then cut off the excess or did you use some rectangular pieces?
I used separate pieces. Plus you're going to cut them between the doors anyway. BUT for the rear door, on the corners, I used one piece. (I applied the one piece and then cut the innerds, then applied it perfectly. So technically 3 pieces used for the rear doors. I'm actually making a bunch of precut/measured strips for the 2014+ IS models. Should be ready in about 3 weeks. Let me know if you're interested.

Last edited by thehank; 03-29-17 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-30-17, 08:59 AM
kh29228
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your reply. Do you remember how much vinyl did it take to black-out all the chrome around the windows plus the grill?
Old 03-31-17, 05:08 AM
jlopez3983
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thehank
I always appreciated the piano black trim on BMWs and wanted to black out the chrome trim. I don't dislike the chrome, but piano black looks nice when done right. Picked up a huge roll of 3M 1080 Black Gloss vinyl and got to work. First window took about 3 tries to get right. (This was my first vinyl anything.) It saves time to apply the trim to all windows all at once, and then do your cutting and heat gun all in one stroke. Instead of applying film, perfecting, recutting the vinyl,... you get the idea. I have one of those ABN Felt Edge Decal Squeegee 4 Inch from Amazon and after tucking in the sides firmly, it began to cut on it's own. Assuming from the tight spaces I guess.

The tops of all the windows are ten times easier than the lower portions. And if you align the tops just right to the edge, you don't have to cut the topside. Also, on the upper parts, I ended up doing the chrome trim AND the plastic trim underneath. As there is hardly any room to get any cut in there or the plastic piece. Plus a gloss piece right next to a matt finish wouldn't look the best.

CONS: I notice imperfections up close near the car. Heat gun didn't do any wonders except corners, but you have to mold while still warm. When sitting inside the car, I notice ripples or areas where the vinyl didn't adhere, but not sure how else to do it as I tried to fix already. There are about 3 panels that I will be re-installing on to lessen the defects. From the photos, far away, or to the average joe, it looks good. But it's ten times better than any plasti-dip I've seen.

If anyone knows how to remove the window trim, I'll buy you a beer, as this would make the install so much "simpler" and give a cleaner appearance.
Came out good man, did you by any chance vinyl over the rubber on the chrome trim around the windows?
Old 04-01-17, 09:00 AM
Vagabond25
Driver School Candidate

Man that looks awesome.Did the grille surround take longer than the window trim?
Old 04-21-17, 08:43 PM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

That looks great! You made me want to do mine. I went ahead did the front grill and it turned out great. When I have time I will do the window trims. It's a lot easier than I thought and it just takes patience!

Old 04-22-17, 02:53 AM
Chanhing23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 3ISRC
That looks great! You made me want to do mine. I went ahead did the front grill and it turned out great. When I have time I will do the window trims. It's a lot easier than I thought and it just takes patience!

how many ft did you buy to cover the grill?
Old 04-22-17, 08:26 AM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chanhing23
how many ft did you buy to cover the grill?
2' x 5' is enough to cover it in one piece.
Old 04-22-17, 11:43 AM
gregerst
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That looks good! I need to do this. What vinyl did you use?
Old 04-22-17, 04:31 PM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gregerst
That looks good! I need to do this. What vinyl did you use?
3m 1080 vinyl is what you need.
Old 04-22-17, 07:00 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by 3ISRC

Did you take out the chrome surround or did the vinyl on the vehicle as is?
Old 04-22-17, 07:10 PM
3ISRC
Intermediate

No need to remove it. I wrapped while in the car.
Originally Posted by Sasnuke
The following users liked this post:
Sasnuke (04-22-17)
Old 04-22-17, 07:14 PM
klycambo
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Is that the Stillen front lip?

Quick Reply: IS300 Piano Black Window Trim install