IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Headlight Brackets

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-17, 10:17 AM
ValpoPilot
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Headlight Brackets

Does anyone know if Lexus sells replacement mounting brackets (tabs) for the 3rd Gen headlights? I know they sell them for other models (including the 2nd Gen IS) but can't find any part numbers for the 3rd Gen. I recently bought a CPO IS250 and noticed that the top tab is cracked near where it bolts to the car. Of course the dealership has so far claimed that I must be to blame. Looks like buying a new headlight costs about the equivalent of the money needed to retire early some day. Since it's only cracked I've contemplated an epoxy fix as well but I would prefer a replacement tab if available. It looks like there are "guide holes" for where the replacement tab would mount to the headlight so perhaps that's good news?
Old 01-19-17, 10:20 AM
ValpoPilot
Driver School Candidate

Not sure that it matters, but I have the LED headlights.
Old 01-19-17, 10:44 AM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If the headlight is still securely mounted, a single broken tab is not usually a problem. If more than one, you can attempt using a plastic type epoxy or if lucky regular epoxy to some sort fabricated mount. Just to note that the plastic epoxy emits particularly nasty head spinning fumes, mix and use in a very well ventilated area

Do you have a pic of the broken tab?
Old 01-19-17, 10:59 AM
ValpoPilot
Driver School Candidate

Not the greatest picture but you can see the crack towards the base of the tab. It doesn't appear to effect the alignment of the headlight but seeing as I've only owned the car a little over a month now, I don't feel comfortable just leaving it as-is. The epoxy idea doesn't sound awful given the circumstances. I'll be removing the front bumper to replace the lower grill anyways so I should have a good opportunity to see if that is the only broken tab and it would be a good time to do the epoxy fix if I go that route.
Old 01-19-17, 01:07 PM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Welcome and happy new year.

As I see it, you've got two things going for you specific to your post, one, the car is a CPO vehicle, two, there is a Technical Service Bulletin relating to this issue (LED Headlight Housing Fracture) that might apply. Try a Google search for TSB L-SB-0002-15.

Since your car is a CPO, there should be an inspection check list with the car, I don't know if this item is part of the inspection detail, but it should be as there is a TSB on it. Check to see if it was inspected. Since there is a TSB on the issue, respectfully discuss with dealer and see if that information changes their assessment. Good luck.
if his suggestion doesnt work, use plastic epoxy to fix that crack. it was designed to fix stuff like this.
Old 01-19-17, 03:08 PM
ValpoPilot
Driver School Candidate

PatrixUSA, thank you for the info! Can't tell you how nervous I was about potentially having to pay out of pocket to replace such an expensive part due to something I didn't cause. I'll let you guys know what my dealership says about this after my appointment tomorrow.
Old 02-11-17, 03:47 AM
Losdavos
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any update?
I have a similar problem and am interested to know if Lexus Is honoring the TSB and replacing the headlight.

Thank you,
Dave
Old 02-15-17, 03:47 PM
ValpoPilot
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for the delayed response. Yes, my dealership replaced the headlight assembly at no cost to me. The new unit appears to have a redesigned top bracket so Lexus must have recognized the weakness with the old design.
Old 02-15-17, 04:17 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by ValpoPilot
Sorry for the delayed response. Yes, my dealership replaced the headlight assembly at no cost to me. The new unit appears to have a redesigned top bracket so Lexus must have recognized the weakness with the old design.
Could you show us a photo of the redesigned housing bracket?
Old 02-15-17, 04:41 PM
ValpoPilot
Driver School Candidate

If you compare this pic to my previous pic of the broken tab you can see the differences.
The following 2 users liked this post by ValpoPilot:
600rr (02-15-17), specONE (02-16-17)
Old 02-15-17, 04:42 PM
ValpoPilot
Driver School Candidate

The tab immediately connects to the main part of the headlight housing instead of only connecting at the base of the bracket/tab as shown in the broken tab pic.
Old 02-15-17, 05:03 PM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

The tab immediately connects to the main part of the headlight housing instead of only connecting at the base of the bracket/tab as shown in the broken tab pic.
What year is your car? I wonder when did they start implementing the new head lamp design.
I'll go have a look once i get home, curious now.
Old 02-15-17, 05:53 PM
ValpoPilot
Driver School Candidate

Here's a screenshot from the TSB... just check to see if your VIN is prior to the ones listed and it should answer your question.
The following users liked this post:
600rr (02-15-17)
Old 02-15-17, 06:00 PM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I have the IS200T, so I'm assuming it should have the new design.
Thanks for checking.
Old 02-16-17, 12:31 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

If you compare this pic to my previous pic of the broken tab you can see the differences.
Thanks for sharing.
Wish i knew this a year ago. I plastic welded mines back together after I noticed it was cracked, My car was in a minor fender bender when it was parked so i thought the whole time it was due to that. I noticed that it wasn't designed well so the way i plastic welded it back was very similar to the redesigned mount which is interesting. Glad they redesigned it.

Quick Reply: Headlight Brackets