IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Getting a new IS200t from Texas to California - good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-17, 12:06 PM
SantiP
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a new IS200t from Texas to California - good idea?

Hi guys,

I've been searching for a new 2017 IS200t in the Nightfall Mica color for a few months now and I haven't found one anywhere near me (North California).

The closest one available is in a dealership in Houston, Texas. I wanted to know how logical is it to fly down there and drive back here in the new car?

Does it sound like a good idea if I get a good deal on it? Also, it's a new car so is it advisable to drive it for such a long period this early?

Would really appreciate your advice.

Thanks,
Santosh
Old 01-13-17, 12:46 PM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

if you've got the time, the gas money to spare, and it's a good deal, then go for it. the trip won't hurt it. lots of vette owners chose to pick up their cars at the corvette museum, which is across the street from the plant, and drive their cars home. one question though. texas and cali emissions are different. is there an issue there when you get it back?
Old 01-13-17, 12:50 PM
SantiP
Rookie

Originally Posted by gbgary
if you've got the time, the gas money to spare, and it's a good deal, then go for it. the trip won't hurt it. lots of vette owners chose to pick up their cars at the corvette museum, which is across the street from the plant, and drive their cars home. one question though. texas and cali emissions are different. is there an issue there when you get it back?
I'm not sure about that. Will have to check it out.
Also, I was reading online and learned that I need to vary the speeds while driving. But even then, will the long drive (1900 miles) adversely affect the engine?
Old 01-13-17, 02:14 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I had my G35 shipped from a Texas dealership. You don't pay the sales tax there. You pay it when you register for Cali at the DMV. Also, you have to get it smogged for Cali.
Old 01-13-17, 02:16 PM
SantiP
Rookie

Originally Posted by EZZ
I had my G35 shipped from a Texas dealership. You don't pay the sales tax there. You pay it when you register for Cali at the DMV. Also, you have to get it smogged for Cali.
Yes, I just read about that. Do you have to do the test yourself? Or is it done for you?
Old 01-13-17, 02:18 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

You have to get it done. Probably do it before you go to DMV
Old 01-13-17, 02:19 PM
SantiP
Rookie

Originally Posted by EZZ
You have to get it done. Probably do it before you go to DMV
Okay. And do you know how much does it cost?
Old 01-13-17, 02:23 PM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
you have to get it smogged for Cali.
i thought so. thanks for confirming.
Old 01-14-17, 03:20 PM
SantiP
Rookie

Originally Posted by EZZ
Do you think getting one custom-built will be cheaper? Considering I'll have to pay for shipping and also go through all the hassle of doing the smog and emission tests here.
Old 01-14-17, 07:07 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SantiP
Do you think getting one custom-built will be cheaper? Considering I'll have to pay for shipping and also go through all the hassle of doing the smog and emission tests here.
Smog is only $50. Sales tax is about $4k. You pay sales tax no matter what but you can lump it into the loan if you buy in Cali. Driving from Texas to Cali will be a couple hundred in gas.

What I did was to offset the down with the amount of sales tax I had to pay. Instead of $10k down, I only put $6k down and paid the sales tax at the DMV. Try negotiating with the local dealer and see if you can get whatever you would pay for the Texas car and add a couple hundred for the expenses I've outlined above. Worth a try. P
Old 01-14-17, 07:25 PM
voodoosoul
Driver School Candidate

Why can't you go to your nearest dealership and have them either do a dealer's trade or check the port for you to see if the color you want is sitting at the port? I'm in SOCAL and I had my dealer find me a 200t Redline with Chateau interior at the port in Texas and had it shipped to Cali.
Old 01-14-17, 07:49 PM
SantiP
Rookie

Originally Posted by voodoosoul
Why can't you go to your nearest dealership and have them either do a dealer's trade or check the port for you to see if the color you want is sitting at the port? I'm in SOCAL and I had my dealer find me a 200t Redline with Chateau interior at the port in Texas and had it shipped to Cali.
Yes, that's also an option. But I feel that negotiating a good deal will be difficult since the dealer isn't under pressure to sell it.
If I can buy it from the Texas dealer at a lower price, then I thought I can ship it here myself (probably another $1000-$1200).
Old 01-14-17, 09:07 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

As for flying and driving home - I actually know several people who have done that. Some times it's the only way to get the car you want. Hopefully you get a good enough deal on it to make it worth the effort.

As for break in, this is from the manual for my 16 200t.

Breaking in your new Lexus
To extend the life of the vehicle, observing the following precautions is recommended:
● For the first 186 miles (300 km):
• Avoid sudden stops.
● For the first 621 miles (1000 km):
• Do not drive at extremely high speeds.
• Avoid sudden acceleration.
• Do not drive continuously in low gears.
• Do not drive at a constant speed for extended periods.

So just vary your speed and you should be OK.
Old 01-14-17, 11:57 PM
UngBuck
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was wondering, did you have to pay sales tax at the dealership in texas for your 16 200t? if you register it at california, don't you need to pay sales tax?
Old 01-15-17, 06:50 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UngBuck
i was wondering, did you have to pay sales tax at the dealership in texas for your 16 200t? if you register it at california, don't you need to pay sales tax?
You don't pay sales tax at dealer if you tell them you don't want it registered in Texas. You have to clear it with the dealer before you purchase though.

Quick Reply: Getting a new IS200t from Texas to California - good idea?