IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

How much are you paying for insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-17, 09:07 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
10/30/10 is a joke, need to raise it asap. If you hit me and total my car, my insurance company would sue you until bankruptcy
That is pretty low.

However, I did hear some interesting points from an accident attorney friend of mine. Most of the cases the insurance company won't go after you unless you own a some type of property or a business. So they settle for what ever coverage you have. There is always a civil case from one party to other, but the other party's insurance will cover most of their own losses and they are usually left with a deductible which isn't much. So if you are an average joe living pay check to pay check, it really is not a big deal.

Also, he said AAA and Farmers are the easier and fastest to deal with when it comes to turn around time after an accident. And Geico is the worst.
Old 05-27-17, 09:29 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by jkonquer
So if you are an average joe living pay check to pay check, it really is not a big deal.
I agree with this statement, but 'most' lexus owners have some type of asset. Unless they bought a well depreciated luxury vehicle for fraction of original cost. Even then, if they had a co-signer on the loan, they will be sued for damages too
Old 07-14-17, 12:33 PM
kwb18
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$304 every six months. 50/100/100. I have worked for Allstate for 10 years. No, I don't get a discount because I'm an employee. That would be nice but I'm satisfied with my rate now.
Old 07-14-17, 12:38 PM
kwb18
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jkonquer
That is pretty low.

However, I did hear some interesting points from an accident attorney friend of mine. Most of the cases the insurance company won't go after you unless you own a some type of property or a business. So they settle for what ever coverage you have. There is always a civil case from one party to other, but the other party's insurance will cover most of their own losses and they are usually left with a deductible which isn't much. So if you are an average joe living pay check to pay check, it really is not a big deal.

Also, he said AAA and Farmers are the easier and fastest to deal with when it comes to turn around time after an accident. And Geico is the worst.
Depends on the insurance company, state and what not. Customer of mine had her husband die in a car accident due to the other kid, 18 years old being at fault for reckless driving. His wages are being garnished due to him losing in court. But then again, his negligence killed the bread winner of a family. Every scenario is different. Most of the time, you might as well get the higher coverage. It's really not that big of a price difference and it's always better to have too much insurance than not enough insurance.
Old 07-14-17, 01:00 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Curious of what you guys think of my rate. I'm a single, male 23 yo, has a job, student, technically still live with the parents as well as insurance is under them as well.

(I also rent an apartment close to my work/school)

My old rate with my old car was about ~$600 semi-annual (mazda6)

Bought a Lexus a little over a year, and now my rate is about $800-900 semi-annual (IS350F)

I don't know the exact numbers, but my parents told me my rate went up about $300 with the new car.

*we use farmers insurance, should be full coverage.
Old 07-14-17, 01:12 PM
kwb18
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nathantse
Curious of what you guys think of my rate. I'm a single, male 23 yo, has a job, student, technically still live with the parents as well as insurance is under them as well.

Bought a Lexus a little over a year, and now my rate is about $800-900 semi-annual (IS350F)

I don't know the exact numbers, but my parents told me my rate went up about $300 with the new car.

For your age, that doesn't seem too bad. I would shop around though and see what it would be by yourself with the same coverage you have on your parents. Wouldn't hurt. But get quotes from some reputable companies.
Old 07-14-17, 01:24 PM
Satake
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm paying $700 for mine, $500 deductible with 100/300/100.
Old 07-14-17, 01:36 PM
ItsBraulio
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just switched insurance today. Paying $636 for 6 months 100/300/100 and $500 deductible for both comp and collision.. I'm 23 with great credit and one violation on my record.
Old 07-14-17, 01:45 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kwb18
For your age, that doesn't seem too bad. I would shop around though and see what it would be by yourself with the same coverage you have on your parents. Wouldn't hurt. But get quotes from some reputable companies.
I'm kind of a noob when it comes to insurance stuff. What would you considered a reputable company? And an ideal rate for some one like me?

Forgot to mention, I have ZERO traffic violation since my days as a driver, and my credit score is well above 750.
Old 07-14-17, 03:50 PM
kwb18
Driver School Candidate

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to insurance stuff. What would you considered a reputable company? And an ideal rate for some one like me?

Forgot to mention, I have ZERO traffic violation since my days as a driver, and my credit score is well above 750.
I can't say for sure because every company rates things so differently. A reputable company would be the big name companies. Allstate, Farmers, State Farm...Companies like, "The General" stay away from. Going with a company like Geico or Progressive may be cheaper but that's due to them not having to compensate agents. So if you go with one of those types of companies, you will be calling a 800# and will get someone different each time. Personally, it's nice having an agent who knows you. When you're calling around for quotes, there are at least 2 things in my opinion you should pay close attention to. They will ask you if you want a quote for full coverage or liability.

1. Timing. Most insurance companies shouldn't take more than 10-20 minutes to run a quote and give you a call back. We have a busy office here and I can still manage to quote someone out in that time frame if not quicker.

2. When they call you back, they should be explaining exactly what you are paying for. Explaining what the liability limits cover, how they cover you and in what situations. If they call you and say, "For full coverage, you're looking at, x amount of dollars", they aren't really concerned about you and are more than likely just wanting that commission. That's the last type of person you want handling your business. Especially if you are in a big accident.

As an example, when I call someone back, the first thing I ask them is if their current insurance company has ever explained to them exactly what they are covered for and what they are paying for. I'd say about 98% of the time I get a, "No". It boggles my mind that some people just pay their monthly bill without knowing what they are paying for. I like to take my time quoting someone out and explaining to them what they are covered for. Last thing I want is for one of my customers to have an accident, not be covered or not have enough coverage and then for them to call me and say, "Why didn't you offer this to me or cover me for this?" But then again, I absolutely love my job. As corny as that may sound.

Last edited by kwb18; 07-14-17 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-14-17, 09:53 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Nathan go get marry your premium will goes down Little Bro go make your girl pregnant, call your Auto Insurance and tell them yo i'm a dad now let drop my rate down !
Old 07-14-17, 10:35 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Solara350
Nathan go get marry your premium will goes down Little Bro go make your girl pregnant, call your Auto Insurance and tell them yo i'm a dad now let drop my rate down !
LMAO, not a chance. Too young for that. Gotta get my life together first before having a fam.
Old 07-15-17, 07:47 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Statefarm just raised my rates to over $30/month. They have been doing that little by little every renewal. But not this much. So I switched to AAA and paying about $80/month less for all my vehicle with same coverage.
Old 09-11-18, 12:39 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Switched from State Farm to Mercury. Went from $160 a month to $115 a month. And got higher limits and lower deductible too. 100/300/100 and $500/$500
Old 09-11-18, 01:09 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

I have to get rid of State Farm. I've been such a loyal customer yet rates just keep rising and rising. I think it's time to start shopping. Do you have to wait until your policy is up for renewal before switching? We have my car, my wife's car, our home insurance, and a life insurance policy...I'd love to switch them all at once.

Quick Reply: How much are you paying for insurance?