Brake pad recommendations & soft pedal issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-16, 06:26 AM
plastus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pad recommendations & soft pedal issue

Hi guys,

My '15 IS350F has 19k miles at this point and I'm looking to replace the brake pads at my next service. The dealership told me my pads were at 6mm front and 9mm rear after I complained of break squeal in the mornings when temperatures are slightly colder (<70F). I'm considering the Akebono ACT Ceramic pads right now but curious if anyone has experience with other pads?

Under braking I get some pulsation/vibration that comes through the steering wheel. Is it possible at this mileage that the F-Sport pads are done and the rotors might be glazed/warped? Is it better to resurface or just buy new rotors all around (slotted/cross-drilled)?

Is there anything I can do to improve pedal feel? I feel like it's pretty soft right now and there is a bit of a dead-zone on initial press-in.

Thanks for your input!

Last edited by plastus; 09-07-16 at 08:08 AM.
Old 09-07-16, 07:52 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is well known that the front brake pads doesn't last on this car. However the rear brake pads should last something like 50k miles.

Sometimes the brake pads gets damaged thats why you get the vibration, but not many complain about vibration in this car. Anyway when it comes to brakes I personally got the OEM low dust type because ceramic pads are more rough on the rotors. I heard good things about the Akebono so don't let my comment stop you. Additionally you are good with resufacing your rotors, since they are still thick, I resufaced mine twice now.
Old 09-07-16, 12:20 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I wrote this over on the 4GS sub-forum on the topic of brakes. Here's my personal take and advice to anyone considering switching brake pads only because of dust consideration. (I do agree that the stock Lexus brakes are really really annoyingly dusty) and that's coming from a lifetime BMW driver!

"Typically when it comes to brake pads, theres no free rides. They either perform well/dust a lot/wear quickly (as the stock Lexus pads do, same as BMW and Porsche, etc) or they last a long time, don't dust, bite not as good.

Lexus chose to go the performance route. Ever wonder why BMWs from the 2000s are always seen with dirty black wheels from brake dust but at the same time were praised by automotive journalists all over the world for having the "Best Brakes in the Business"? That's why. Because they perform.

Will brake pads that don't dust as much stop your car just as fast as stock? Yes and no. It's not really about how fast your car can stop, but rather the feel, cold bite, and how fast you can stop multiple times. All these characteristics must be taken into account when a manufacturer chooses a supplier for their pads. There's also pricing and servicing considerations as well. Cars like Camrys, Corollas, Civics, etc. dont need brakes that necessarily perform so naturally they don't dust. Manufacturer's dont dust their premium cars with dusty brake pads just for the heck of it. There's a good reason."

So in short, if you cruise/commute. You'll be OK with the Akebonos. But if you like to drive hard occasionally, canyon carve, spirited drives, you might find alternative brake pads don't perform as well as stock Lexus.

Just like summer tires that wear quickly but provide awesome grip, the stock Lexus pads wear fast but provide awesome reliable repeatable stopping power, particularly when cold. Have to choose what is more important to you.
Old 09-10-16, 10:55 AM
plastus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In terms of braking performance, are the OEM F-Sport pads really the best? I thought the Akebono pads would be an improvement but if that's not the case I definitely will stick with OEM.