IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Considering new Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-16, 07:24 AM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
To plays devil's advocate to your comment, my father in law has a 2012 Cruze with almost 100k miles on it, and it has been problem free and gets almost 40mpg on family trips. So, perhaps you got a car built on a Friday, because your situation does not represent all owners.
Mine is also a 2012. He should have had same recall notices sent his way.

I used to see 35mpg but now only see about 31mpg.

I didn't say anything about breaking down, just some really dodgy workmanship needing fixing by the dealer as per the notices in my mail.

Right off the bat, I had some serious power brake problems. Scary for sure. Looking it up, many have it and it was then recalled for it.

But my original comment was about the Camaro reliability. Don't know how they are now, but all I ever heard about them was bad.

I chose Lexus for reliability and craftsmanship over being a little faster.
Old 08-23-16, 09:35 AM
Sexis350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Currently cross shopping between this and the dodge challenger scat pack like the one vin deisel drives in fast and furious.

Ive decided to give domestic cars a chance and will just have to take the gamble and see for myself how reliable they are.

Funny how i didnt even consider dodge until i a video on youtube suggested it. At this point i am leaning more towards the dodge but still have at least a year or so before i can save enough money.

I kinda like the looks of the challenger more now. Exterior looks more mature and calmer than camaro. Its design is iconic and think i can live with it more as i go through my thirties. The interior in camaro ss is better imo but the dodge is okay.

The thing about the dodge interior is its bigger. It will be more practical with bigger interior and trunk space for my 4 year old son. If it was just me this probably wouldnt matter.

The challenger is a straight line beast(faster than camaro) but too big for corners, so my IS will be for corners.
Old 08-23-16, 09:37 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,604 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Not sure if you saw this thread in Car Chat about the over-supply of the new Camaro. Might be some good deals/incentives coming soon.
Old 08-23-16, 10:24 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sexis350
Currently cross shopping between this and the dodge challenger scat pack like the one vin deisel drives in fast and furious.

Ive decided to give domestic cars a chance and will just have to take the gamble and see for myself how reliable they are.

Funny how i didnt even consider dodge until i a video on youtube suggested it. At this point i am leaning more towards the dodge but still have at least a year or so before i can save enough money.

I kinda like the looks of the challenger more now. Exterior looks more mature and calmer than camaro. Its design is iconic and think i can live with it more as i go through my thirties. The interior in camaro ss is better imo but the dodge is okay.

The thing about the dodge interior is its bigger. It will be more practical with bigger interior and trunk space for my 4 year old son. If it was just me this probably wouldnt matter.

The challenger is a straight line beast(faster than camaro) but too big for corners, so my IS will be for corners.
The challenger and the Camaro (6th gen) are 2 totally different types of cars. One is a sports car, while the other is a larger grand touring car. In an ideal world, they shouldn't even be considered in the same class, but with our limited options they are.

I am hesitant of Dodge on their automatic transmissions (several friends have had their cars bought back), now if you're talking a stick, then I'd have no concern.

I found the Challenger to be beautiful on the outside, and an absolute land yacht from the inside.

And when you're saying "faster" than the Camaro...are you actually willing to push the car to the point in which that means something? Otherwise, its a moot point.