IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2IS v. 3IS Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-16, 06:38 PM
Digmymojo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2IS v. 3IS Help!

What are the differences between the 2IS and 3IS, especially between 2013 and 2014?

Any common issues with 3IS, particularly 2014?

This has probably been discussed before, so feel free to link a thread.

Thanks, all!
Old 05-25-16, 08:43 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

same engine,transmissions, and suspension. the chassis is much better, stiffer resulting in improved handling. the transmission program is slightly better in the 2IS, IMO, Overall, the 3IS is a much better car that looks better too even if the underpinnings are essentially the same.
Old 05-25-16, 11:12 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

2IS is faster with 6 speed auto. For 3IS better interior, suspension, navigation, 8 speed auto. But they have same engine with 306 hp.
Old 05-25-16, 11:16 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

My 2008 IS350.

Old 05-25-16, 11:40 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the main difference is that the 3IS looks WAY BETTER
Old 05-26-16, 12:53 AM
atomic250
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Digmymojo
What are the differences between the 2IS and 3IS, especially between 2013 and 2014?

Any common issues with 3IS, particularly 2014?

This has probably been discussed before, so feel free to link a thread.

Thanks, all!
The 3rd generation IS has a new exterior and interior design. The engine is the same. It's a no brainer that you should get the 3IS because the 2IS design has been out since 2006 so it's outdated. I have no issues with my 3IS.
Old 05-26-16, 08:42 AM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The extra legroom in the back for the 3IS makes the rear seats useable.
Old 05-26-16, 09:30 AM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

I've had them both (IS350 F-Sports) They have the same engine... that's 'bout it... The obvious changes are the exterior and interior since they completely redesigned from '13 to '14 models. The new interior is much more comfortable. As a lot of people said when the 3IS came out, you sit "in" the 3IS instead of you sit "on" the 2IS. The "ergonomics" of the new interior are far superior compared to the 2IS and it feels more like a sports car rather than a bland luxury sedan (not that the 2IS was all that bland or anything anyways) The material quality of the 3IS interior some might say is not up to par to the 2IS but it is still very nice nonetheless. I would say it's just about the same, maybe a little more plasticky here and there. And you get a little bit more leg room in the back seats. Performance wise, the 2IS was a bit faster. Although the same engine, the transmission on the 2IS (6spd) had very aggressive gears which made it quicker 0-60 / 1/4 mile (also, the car weighed less than the 3IS) the 3IS transmission (8spd) is not as aggressive but it is much smoother and the power response is instant making it much more fun to drive. The drive itself is smoother on the 3IS and even then, the handling is much better (specially if you go Sport S+ Mode) Overall, the 3IS is a much better choice unless all you care about is how fast you can go down the 1/4 mile in which case then this is probably the wrong car to start with.

As far as issues with the 3IS, the Navigation/Entertainment system. It did have problems with being slow and nonresponsive at times on the 2014 model. Heard of a few people that had to have the dealership replace the whole unit, myself included. My navi stopped working altogether one day and they had to replace the whole system (covered under the warranty) but it is not something you see happen a lot...

So if you are looking into getting an IS, I'd recommend the 3IS if you can afford it. If not, the 2IS is still a very, very good car as well ( I had 2 of them )
Old 05-26-16, 10:26 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I found these two articles to be very informative on the 2IS to 3IS changes.

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2013/03/...us-is-preview/

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2013/01/...s-information/
Old 05-26-16, 02:10 PM
Digmymojo
Driver School Candidate

First, thanks for the great posts so far -- appreciate your experience.

I just drove two 2014s today, both RWD, and was underwhelmed. They just didn't feel as ballsy as I might've liked -- no wonder everybody favors the F-Sport. They were quick in sport mode, sure, but even when they start up they sound like 4-cylinders. I guess that's the price you pay for higher MPG -- the newer trannies tune the power right out. To be fair, I'm coming from a 2004 G35, which sounds all *****, digs in with power, and, imo, feel more powerful than the newer, bigger G37s.

Didn't like the body re-do of the 2014s at first, but once I stood by one and noticed how the rear flare ties right in with the taillights in that nice organic line, I was kind of in love.

I totally understand what you mean about sitting IN it -- felt like sport seats, for sure. Which may have added to the underwhelm...if I'm sitting that low and tight in the cockpit, I want the thing to growl and almost get air when I step on it. And the suspension felt sporty -- I wasn't on the right road to do it justice, but it seemed to sit down and grip fairly well when I hit that U-turn that made the salesman grab the Jesus bar.

Did the interior go from leather to pleather 2013>2014? Someone mentioned the 2014 felt more plasticy. I see it. I've heard people gripe about wrinkles in leather, but I think leather improves with age...as long as it doesn't tear. Give me leather over Nuluxe or whatever any day.

More thoughts?
Old 05-26-16, 02:19 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

i came from a 2004 G35 coupe. I have a 2015 350 F-sport and the car murders the G in handling in sport+ mode. Its also way faster but, there is no sound so you don't get that visceral experience as you get on the G35. I've driven the 2IS and hated it...felt so soft and mushy. I would go test drive the new Q50 Red Sport as it will be much faster than the 3IS.
Old 05-26-16, 06:37 PM
isosunrise
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 2IS 350 a few years back and absolutely loved it! I would trade me 2015 (250) now for that car any day plus no payment ðŸ˜.

I liked the navigation on the 2is better- easier to use and faster then the 3is. Seats also seemed like they hugged you more. Loved the dash always a fan of a smaller windshield. As mentioned by another member I think the transmission programming was slightly better as well. In a nutshell- both cars are grade the real trade off is looks technology and reliability (if your looking at a much older car).

As far as looks go of course the newer IS is the winner. Don't have a 350 but I'm sure it's a lot more powerful then my putter now.
Old 05-26-16, 07:10 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Digmymojo
First, thanks for the great posts so far -- appreciate your experience.

I just drove two 2014s today, both RWD, and was underwhelmed. They just didn't feel as ballsy as I might've liked -- no wonder everybody favors the F-Sport. They were quick in sport mode, sure, but even when they start up they sound like 4-cylinders. I guess that's the price you pay for higher MPG -- the newer trannies tune the power right out. To be fair, I'm coming from a 2004 G35, which sounds all *****, digs in with power, and, imo, feel more powerful than the newer, bigger G37s.

Didn't like the body re-do of the 2014s at first, but once I stood by one and noticed how the rear flare ties right in with the taillights in that nice organic line, I was kind of in love.

I totally understand what you mean about sitting IN it -- felt like sport seats, for sure. Which may have added to the underwhelm...if I'm sitting that low and tight in the cockpit, I want the thing to growl and almost get air when I step on it. And the suspension felt sporty -- I wasn't on the right road to do it justice, but it seemed to sit down and grip fairly well when I hit that U-turn that made the salesman grab the Jesus bar.

Did the interior go from leather to pleather 2013>2014? Someone mentioned the 2014 felt more plasticy. I see it. I've heard people gripe about wrinkles in leather, but I think leather improves with age...as long as it doesn't tear. Give me leather over Nuluxe or whatever any day.

More thoughts?

Which ones did you drive, the IS250 or the IS350? There is a HUGE difference in power and overall feel between the 250 and the 350. My first IS was a 250 and when I traded that for the 350 it was night and day. There is no difference in power when it comes to the F-Sport though. I would take the Nuluxe over leather nowadays. It feels great, doesn't get as hot and doesn't get wrinkled... and it's nice and soft too.
Old 05-26-16, 07:34 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tea
the main difference is that the 3IS looks WAY BETTER
I also like 3IS look and everything else interior and exterior. I just don't like that it's slower then 2IS.
Old 05-26-16, 07:55 PM
Digmymojo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Slash300zx
Which ones did you drive, the IS250 or the IS350? There is a HUGE difference in power and overall feel between the 250 and the 350. My first IS was a 250 and when I traded that for the 350 it was night and day. There is no difference in power when it comes to the F-Sport though. I would take the Nuluxe over leather nowadays. It feels great, doesn't get as hot and doesn't get wrinkled... and it's nice and soft too.
Both were IS350 RWD. Drove a 2013 IS250 a few weeks back, and thought it definitely felt like a 4-cylinder...hard to believe it's 200+ HP...and even harder to believe the 350s are 306 HP. But to be fair, had a salesman riding shotgun both times -- cars are always a little quicker when it's just 160 lb. me.

Quick Reply: 2IS v. 3IS Help!