IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

New IS200T vs used 2014 IS350 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-16, 05:22 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@387 You can't loose. If you feel the urge for a new car in a couple years, know that you can resell this one for minimal loss from what you paid for.

WRT to winters, know that you can fit 17" steellies from Costco on this or any good wheel and tire shop can get you cheap 17" alloys for under $125 CDN if you buy winter tires from them at the same time. Over the long term, the overall costs become a wash, as you can put good high performance summers for the summer and good winter traction for the winter.

I bought a set of used rims on kijiji for under $350 and got my tire guy to put a set of winters for under $500. the winter usually last me 5 seasons, and on the last season, I just drive them over the summer to get the most wear out. I can do that since I have nicer winter rims.
Old 04-29-16, 08:02 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
@387 You can't loose. If you feel the urge for a new car in a couple years, know that you can resell this one for minimal loss from what you paid for.

WRT to winters, know that you can fit 17" steellies from Costco on this or any good wheel and tire shop can get you cheap 17" alloys for under $125 CDN if you buy winter tires from them at the same time. Over the long term, the overall costs become a wash, as you can put good high performance summers for the summer and good winter traction for the winter.

I bought a set of used rims on kijiji for under $350 and got my tire guy to put a set of winters for under $500. the winter usually last me 5 seasons, and on the last season, I just drive them over the summer to get the most wear out. I can do that since I have nicer winter rims.
Congratulations on picking the is350. And definitely stick with 17s for the winter. I went overboard and got enkei pf01s but winter tires at 17" are much cheaper. Just make sure whichever rim you get clears the calipers
Old 04-29-16, 11:09 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by evident
Congratulations on picking the is350. And definitely stick with 17s for the winter. I went overboard and got enkei pf01s but winter tires at 17" are much cheaper. Just make sure whichever rim you get clears the calipers
I have the IS300 AWD, in all aspect the same as the 350, except for the detuned ECU. The 350 also has the sport+ setting, that the IS300 only has if you opt for F-Sport Series 3. The calipers, wheels and other mechanical are the same though.
Old 05-03-16, 05:45 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by 387
Thanks for the input everyone.

This buyout is about 10g less than a similar car and kms at a Lexus dealership. I have noticed that cars with the F Sport Series with Nav and the tech are a lot more abundant and are priced about $2g more, and there are from what I have seen fewer Series 1. After taxes, it's less than 30g. I think this is one of those buy now, think later can't lose type of deals.

If this opportunity didn't come up, I think I would have just gone the IS200T route. The IS300 AWD is out of my price range and I wouldn't want to settle for a detuned version of the IS350 AWD and a new IS350 AWD is way out of my budget. Last year, I did consider the IS250 AWD, but the motor was a turn off.

I live in the snow belt, but I have gotten around fine with good all season tires on a FWD car. I live in the city, it's been really mild the past few years and think I can get around better with AWD and good all seasons on a heavier car even better. I realize winter tires help stop, but with the IS200T being RWD, winter tires would be mandatory to get the car moving. I plan to lower it right away probably with RSR downs or maybe even super downs and leave them in year round. I can't imagine getting stuck with AWD and good all seasons (thinking Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+). I feel that with the RWD platform it is a better drivers car. @ corradoMR2, you bring some good points about the AWD system and the response pickup from the 6 in city driving for quick maneuvers. I did not think of that, but I am used to it because I have only had 4 cylinder Hondas. The turbo and the torque from the IS200T is nice compared to the IS250 AWD, but yeah I can see this car being able to hook up better and boogie.

I read up on the battery drain issue last night, it looks like it is the only real issue with this cars and it's not that bad as it seems there is a solution to it. Is there a TSB out for it yet? And is this based on build date?

I committed to this car. It's been dealer serviced, garaged at home and work. The rear bumper was repaired or replaced due to getting tapped on the rear corner while parked. It got pushed in. The rear passenger arch did rub up lightly against a concrete pillar, but it was just a paint scuff, no dent of filler used. Both repairs were done at a Lexus dealer body shop or one they subcontracted to, so it would be at least average or above average. It's actually my cousin's; I drove the car the day, right after he picked it up. I guess this should be a no brainer. I think even with budgeting new brakes, tires, springs, alignment and a paint correction (it's black....so high maintenance, but windows are already tinted and has a clear bra -bonus), I think I'll be way ahead and have a much nicer car.
Wow. Less than 30k tax-in is a no brainer!

For what it'says worth, I'm on RSR Downs on the mediocre OEM Bridgestones and never got stuck in winter city driving thanks to the solid AWD system.
Old 05-05-16, 08:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Ok, I can't loose. thanks guys for confirming it. I think I can drive it for a year pretty much for free and maybe swap it for a E90 M3 sedan if I wanted too, not that I would because of maintenance.

@My0gr81 I think it has oem wheels with winters off a previous generation IS. Honestly, I'd never want to put them on the car and probably put them on kijiji. I would rather roll year round and pay extra to mount and dismount the tires each season if I get a set of winters, unless I end up with a set of Volk Monoblocks. It's annoying when it's in the middle of "winter", there is no snow on the ground and your car looks like a theft recovery.
Old 05-06-16, 08:09 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

@387 for me personally, winters rulz. AWD is all about go, winters are all about stop. But a good set of true all seasons should do in the GTA.
Old 07-07-16, 03:47 PM
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I picked up my Obsidian Black '14 Lex IS three and a half AWD. No regrets, the new car smell isn't worth the 20g to me and I still have 20k kms or a year or warranty left. The dealer offered an extended warranty to 72 months, but I passed. It was about 3g. The recent post about the average cost of maintenance over a 10 year period assured ahead of time it wasn't worth it. It will need brakes before the winter, but the tires may be able to last until spring. I will probably change them by then.

I ended up paying $841 over residual. There was a $500 buyout fee and the rest was for the transfer fee I guess and carproof.

The car has only seen automatic car washes and has some scratches, the clear bra has a few spots of break through and I may remove it, but I picked up some Chemical Guys Hybrid V compounds, some Hex pads, Blacklight and some Butterwax to correct the paint. I’m looking to get all four wheels refinished and the RSR downs on next week. The front bumper has a lot of stone chips and battlescars, I thought about getting it stripped and refinished.

I am tempted to pickup an F sport air filter for the stock airbox as well as the rear accessory spoiler. And maybe a set spacers.

Like someone said, the AWD just grabs and is quicker off the line than the RWD version, great maneuvers in daily driving city driving. It's not just for winter. The 3.5L V6 just pulls so quick off the line with just a quick twist of the eco/sport/sport+ **** next to the shifter, it gets up to 60 KPH fast. For the record, I never test drove an IS200T. I think if I did I would be unhappy with if I did though. I love the sound from the sound generator, it just growls like a short ram intake when you mash it.

I am really loving this car.