IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Random exhaust backfire/pop

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-16, 10:19 PM
jd93
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Random exhaust backfire/pop

I have a 2016 is350. I just took off my is250 exhaust and installed it onto the 350. It is an invidia axelback paired with a tsudo midpipe. Since I have made the switch I have noticed several times after braking and coming to a complete stop within a couple seconds the exhaust "pops" usually 1 time and it is fairly loud. This did not happen on the 250. What is concerning to me is that it doesn't sound like normal exhaust popping/gurgling when slowing down or downshifting it is more of a sudden loud single pop after coming to a stop. Anyone have any idea what this is? Or if this is considered normal? Also why it would happen on the 350 but not the 250?
Thanks
Old 04-20-16, 05:08 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Search Tool is your friend.
Old 04-20-16, 07:19 AM
jd93
Driver

Originally Posted by Swacer
Search Tool is your friend.
Thanks for the super informative answer, very helpful.
Old 04-20-16, 07:47 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jd93
Thanks for the super informative answer, very helpful.
It was, if you use the Search, you will find this has been discussed plenty of times before, in which you will find your answers.
Old 04-20-16, 07:56 AM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

freeing up flow means more fuel can potentially get through the exhaust, espes with no cats (or high flow cats). when the appropriate combustion mix is met with hot metal, a little bang can go off. no biggy.
Old 04-20-16, 08:02 AM
jd93
Driver

Originally Posted by dnasians
freeing up flow means more fuel can potentially get through the exhaust, espes with no cats (or high flow cats). when the appropriate combustion mix is met with hot metal, a little bang can go off. no biggy.
Thanks for the help!
Old 04-20-16, 07:47 PM
DEMONX
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have noticed how helpful some are in here... Lol
Old 02-22-17, 10:20 AM
abenjack
Driver

I have that too on my 350 with a muffler delete. I think its just the back pressure escaping. Mine happens after medium to hard acceleration when I'm coming to a stop.
Old 02-22-17, 10:11 PM
Viktimize
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by abenjack
I have that too on my 350 with a muffler delete. I think its just the back pressure escaping. Mine happens after medium to hard acceleration when I'm coming to a stop.

Backfires are from unburnt fuel in the exhaust igniting off hot exhaust gas. This happens generally from removing a catalytic converter, which is used to get rid of those hydrocarbons still left in the exhaust gas. The only way a simple muffler delete should allow this to happen, is due to decreased back pressure that lets the exhaust gas pass through the cats fast enough that the catalyst doesn't finish it's job and let's some hydrocarbon pass through.

It always happens most on deceleration because when you let off the throttle the spark plugs stop firing. So you have a lot more unburnt fuel that was already in the cylinders being pushed into the exhaust instead of being ignited by the plugs.
The following users liked this post:
abenjack (02-23-17)
Old 02-24-17, 10:35 AM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Viktimize
Backfires are from unburnt fuel in the exhaust igniting off hot exhaust gas. This happens generally from removing a catalytic converter, which is used to get rid of those hydrocarbons still left in the exhaust gas. The only way a simple muffler delete should allow this to happen, is due to decreased back pressure that lets the exhaust gas pass through the cats fast enough that the catalyst doesn't finish it's job and let's some hydrocarbon pass through.

It always happens most on deceleration because when you let off the throttle the spark plugs stop firing. So you have a lot more unburnt fuel that was already in the cylinders being pushed into the exhaust instead of being ignited by the plugs.
I've had this happen also with an aftermarket axleback on this car (with stock midpipes), I'm not sure how to explain that though since it doesn't touch the cats
Old 02-24-17, 04:08 PM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by anthonys2r
I've had this happen also with an aftermarket axleback on this car (with stock midpipes), I'm not sure how to explain that though since it doesn't touch the cats
an aftermarket axleback will free up flow compared to stock mufflers. as explained above, with higher flow, more fuel is allowed to escape, and therefore is more likely to ignite in the exhaust.