IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus IS vs Jaguar XE

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-16, 04:25 PM
legion455
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus IS vs Jaguar XE

hmmmm, looks like jaguar will be coming out with an XE version this year, with a price point that would compete with the IS line. Thoughts??

http://www.jaguarusa.com/all-models/xe/index.html
Old 04-13-16, 05:00 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Supercharged v6 sounds fun!

Rest of the car, thumbs down..
Old 04-13-16, 05:26 PM
Vivid101
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The body style looks dated. It almost reminds me of a 2IS. and that Jaguar quality....

Lexus all the way.
Old 04-13-16, 05:37 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Engine on paper looks great (then again, anything will look better for those of us with 3.5L mills from Lexus) but the interior for me was a major letdown when I sat in one at the auto show back in November. Ergonomics especially was just off. It was almost like they designed the thing and did no R&D...
Old 04-13-16, 06:48 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

I will say one thing.. I wish our cars could do the last part of this feature that it has..

"ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL WITH QUEUE ASSIST
Making journeys more relaxed, optional Adaptive Cruise Control uses radar technology to automatically adjust your speed to match the vehicle ahead4. If that vehicle slows, the XE reduces speed to maintain a safe distance, then resumes the pre-set speed as soon as the road in front is clear. Should the car in front stop completely, the Queue Assist function is designed to bring the XE to a smooth halt4."
Old 04-13-16, 07:03 PM
legion455
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I was thinking the same think about build quality ..... shootin craps.
Old 04-13-16, 10:04 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
Engine on paper looks great (then again, anything will look better for those of us with 3.5L mills from Lexus) but the interior for me was a major letdown when I sat in one at the auto show back in November. Ergonomics especially was just off. It was almost like they designed the thing and did no R&D...
Just looking at the configurator on the website, the interior looks pretty spartan. but $45K for the top range engine is pretty competitive... i like the exterior too.
Old 04-14-16, 05:09 AM
listairee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yardie876
I sat at the back seat and it felt like I was in a coupe.
Old 04-14-16, 07:16 AM
Turismo
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The Jag is handsome, but a bit conservative. The IS looks fresher and more modern both in and out. This can be a good or bad thing, depending on your taste. I think the Jag will appeal more to the 50ish folks...assuming they don't give it too "sporty" of a ride.
Old 04-14-16, 07:18 AM
Turismo
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Our adaptive cruise won't stop the car completely?
Originally Posted by J3ffrey
I will say one thing.. I wish our cars could do the last part of this feature that it has..

"ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL WITH QUEUE ASSIST
Making journeys more relaxed, optional Adaptive Cruise Control uses radar technology to automatically adjust your speed to match the vehicle ahead4. If that vehicle slows, the XE reduces speed to maintain a safe distance, then resumes the pre-set speed as soon as the road in front is clear. Should the car in front stop completely, the Queue Assist function is designed to bring the XE to a smooth halt4."
Old 04-14-16, 10:32 AM
ARM350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No it won't stop the car, it will beep around 23mph telling you to brake.

I for one like the Jag, I'm young I'm willing to give up a few luxuries for the look and sound.
Old 04-14-16, 11:50 AM
manchild
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

The jag looks like a jag... I'd drive it and it would fit into my life as well as the Lexus. I'm underwhelmed by the power of my is350. There are days I wish it had more power. Which is why I'll test drive a Focus RS. I doubt the jag will last as long trouble free as the Lexus.
Old 04-14-16, 01:29 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've driven it, the suspension is absolutely fantastic.

As far as Jaguar quality goes... Had my 3rd gen GS been screwed together 1/3 as well as either of my XFs (2010 Prem Lux 5.0L now with over 80K and RIP my 2013 V8 Supercharged) I'd have kept it.
Old 04-14-16, 03:29 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Jaguar has one big advantage in my eyes - they offer a green exterior color.
I love this British racing green.

But the fact remains no matter what study you look at they have pretty dismal reliability history and are known to be expensive to maintain with low resale value. Apparently they are doing something to address this issue but it will take time to regain reputation.
Old 04-14-16, 05:23 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Turismo
Our adaptive cruise won't stop the car completely?
No and it's totally annoying that it doesn't. One of the most useful times for adaptive cruise control would be in stop and go traffic... yet they don't allow that for us... Subaru does!!!

Quick Reply: Lexus IS vs Jaguar XE