IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Tesla Model 3

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-16, 08:01 PM
2015isboy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tesla Model 3

Do you believe Lexus will enter this game? is200E? Has a good ring to it. But over all early thoughts on the model 3 and do you think its a game changer?
Old 04-01-16, 08:24 PM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2015isboy
Do you believe Lexus will enter this game? is200E? Has a good ring to it. But over all early thoughts on the model 3 and do you think its a game changer?
I placed my reservation after Musk's presentation and based Musk's previous comments about the availability of AWD. Also, bear in mind you probably won't get one until 2018 by the number of orders already (232k). Also, vehicle delivery will most likely depend on how you configure it with fully loaded models most likely to be delivered first.

Last edited by theoryguy; 04-01-16 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-01-16, 08:25 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Not enough information to determine if it is a game changer.. I'll admit I'm actually thinking about getting this. I like the price and no more paying for gas... it's as fast as the IS but not a big fan of the interior. What about reliability? Tesla is still fairly new so we don't know much about how reliable their cars are (Although I've heard of a few being caught on fire).
Old 04-01-16, 08:46 PM
2015isboy
Driver

Interior looks extremely bare. I'm guessing the self driving part has something to do with that. Would be curious to see an actual review. But I do like the idea of not paying gas as well. I think some smart people who put in a order first can sell it first as well and actually make a little money.

Last edited by 2015isboy; 04-01-16 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-01-16, 09:07 PM
FSportDRM
Pole Position

I will most likely get one once my IS lease it up. By that time more than half of the pre-orders will have dropped out and all delays will be done. I can see Toyota giving Lexus a similar vehicle given they already use Tesla for some of their products.
Old 04-01-16, 09:19 PM
CrackerJac
Driver

Originally Posted by FSportDRM
I will most likely get one once my IS lease it up. By that time more than half of the pre-orders will have dropped out and all delays will be done. I can see Toyota giving Lexus a similar vehicle given they already use Tesla for some of their products.
They do? What does Tesla give Toyota?
Old 04-01-16, 09:20 PM
FSportDRM
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CrackerJac
They do? What does Tesla give Toyota?
I should have said gave with the RAV4 EV
Old 04-01-16, 09:30 PM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

i think it's a game changer for sure. With the Supercharger network, Tesla is already well on their way to building the proper infrastructure needed to grow their company (something that no one else has BTW). The Model S and X are too expensive for the average Joe. But a $35K car is very doable for many people, as seen by all the orders. You can bet auto execs around the world took notice last night!!
Old 04-01-16, 09:46 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 2015isboy
Interior looks extremely bare. .
I noticed that too and I doubt the base price includes leather, etc.
Somehow for me this huge Ipad-like dashboard is a big turnoff.
An Ipad on wheels is not my idea of having fun with transportation.
I ordered a Lexus IS 350 and I think my 'cockpit' will be a much more welcome place to be.
But I like it and root for them - the more people buy Tesla the less I will pay for my gas.

Last edited by Olasek; 04-01-16 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-01-16, 10:31 PM
PeterLegen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Olasek
I ordered a Lexus IS 350 and I think my 'cockpit' will be a much more welcome place to be.
But I like it and root for them - the more people buy Tesla the less I will pay for my gas.
Don't worry, it'll take one refinery fire or some bs event for gas companies to raise prices.

It's almost summer time huh? lol
Old 04-01-16, 10:32 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Olasek
The ipad on the Tesla may be a turnoff.. but I got a pretty good feeling it runs much better and quicker then our IS.
Old 04-02-16, 08:03 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

the display on the model 3 will be supplied by LG. it's not an ipad (even though it looks like one).
Old 04-02-16, 08:17 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
the display on the model 3 will be supplied by LG. it's not an ipad (even though it looks like one).
He's using the term iPad loosely. He means a a large tablet like screen in general. I like the screen. I just don't like the idea of no speedo at all. I mean I GUESS if there is a HUD it's not as bad but I don't like the idea of having important info (speed, rpm, signal indicators, etc.) overlaid on top of a map, radio, AC, etc. it's simply too much info crammed on that large screen.
Old 04-02-16, 08:38 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

I put deposit down when they opened the order online early when I hadn't even seen the car yet. The exterior looks great but the interior needs an instrument or HUD for sure. Just the thought of not paying for gas and being able to commute on car pool lane made me put deposit. And early deliveries will be eligible for full federal and state credit. $10,000 for California. It's limited to 200k Tesla models including S and X.
Old 04-02-16, 08:38 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
He's using the term iPad loosely. He means a a large tablet like screen in general. I like the screen. I just don't like the idea of no speedo at all. I mean I GUESS if there is a HUD it's not as bad but I don't like the idea of having important info (speed, rpm, signal indicators, etc.) overlaid on top of a map, radio, AC, etc. it's simply too much info crammed on that large screen.
i know he was, i was just clarifying for anyone who was interested in the actual supplier.

i don't like it. i don't like the car. the only intriguing feature is the entire glass roof/windshield/rear window.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model 3